Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 14:42

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%
Default any Ottawa Atkins shakes fans?

Hi there,

In my enthusiasm for the LC way of life, I recently purchased a 4-pack of Atkins shakes over the internet. Because of the way they do the shipping (it's $30 US no matter how much you buy), I didn't buy just one can.

Anyhow, as it turns out, I can't stand the shakes. I spent $50 US (plus shipping) on something that I'll never drink.

The Atkins website says that they guarantee everything, but calling to complain is not like calling to order ... they ask you to leave your name and number and then call you 3 days later when you're not home.

Before I go through that run around again, I thought that I would see if anyone here in Ottawa likes the shakes. I'd be willing to sell them at a good price!

You can probably PM me, but I don't know if I can reply (haven't posted enough messages yet.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 17:16

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry, Slimin, can't help you with the shake problem directly, but I can offer some information. Most of the Kardish stores in town carry a lot of the Atkin's brand - you can buy just one and try them. They also carry a lot of other protein shakes and bars. I've found a delicious LC protein powder at Costco (Hunt Club store) made my R&L Health - it's 21$ and it's very yummy.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 17:53

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%
Default thanks

Thanks, Nat.

I'm at Costco often (it's not far from where I work), and I'll take a look for the protein mix next time that I'm there.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%
Cool

I use Isopure protein powder for my shakes and breakfast concoctions. I haven't had a lot of luck with Atkins products in the past. I go through probably one of those large buckets of Isopure each month. I buy it at Nutrition House at the Rideau Centre because its cheaper there than GNC (even with my GNC discount!).
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 19:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Slimmin!
I'm an Ottawa dweller, and if it was anything but shakes I would take them off your hands. I've got two jugs of LC protein shakes that make me gag just thinking about it.

ugh, I feel icky now.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 07:31
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:99%
Progress: 85%
Cool

I've been to most health food stores in Ottawa, and I've found that the pricing varies considerably between them (especially for protein powder and bars).

GNC seems to be on the high end of the price scale. Nutrition House is the most resonable overall. I've been to their stores in Merivale Mall, St. Laurent Mall, Rideau Centre, etc. More choice than Kardish, as well.

I have tried Whey Gormet brand protein powder and American Whey brand. American Whey IS better, but it has 6 grams of carb per scoop, more than the 2 grams in Whey Gormet. Any suggestions for my next powder purchase? I would like to keep the carb count down to two or three, as I drink more than one a day sometimes.

Also, any other places in Ottawa I should know about? And what about those "woodies"? I feel I'm addicted and I don't know if I should be having so much maltitol (no woodie jokes please ).

thx
shutt
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:35

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 163/142/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Another store in Ottawa

I buy all my protein shakes and supplements at the Glebe Apothecary on Bank street. They also have a website http://www.feelbest.com. For $3.99, they will deliver your parcel right to your door the same day (inside Ottawa)!

I have beein using Proteins+ by Greens+ and it works wonderfully. But they have several brands and flavors.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:39

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 163/142/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default link to protein shakes

Here is the actual link to the protein shakes:

http://www.feelbest.com/shop/search...ode=62036501405

I hope this helps!