Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 06:01

Plan: Atikins
Stats: 198/164.8/148.5
BF:
Progress: 67%
Question Bread mix

The bread sounds great. Do you know if you can get the bread mix in Melbourne, GNC or atkins. I have a tried a few GNC storers with no luck to date. Also how many carbs would a slice of bread be making it this way.

I have been on atkins for about 5 - 6 weeks. My weight loss has not been dramatic.... 5 kilos. I just get a little bored at times with Meat and cheeses mainly being the constant in my meal.

Also can anyone tell me what they eat on average day.

Thanks. :)
Sorry guys this was in reponse to a thread on bread mixs and I cannot seem to delete this or move the thread. If you can direct me on how to do this I would appreciate it.

TKS

Last edited by katweber : Sat, Sep-07-02 at 06:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 23:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/250/150
BF:
Progress:

The bread is a recipe from another site. Total carb count is about 30g and protein is 120g.

I use the GNC bake mix (and was lucky enough to get it almost out of date, meaning it still will have another 2 months to go. $8.80 per can, instead of $27.00 with my Gold card discount.

I am addicted to a pumpkin muffin I make with almonds and linseed with pumpkin, bake mix and egg. 2.5g with Splenda and 4.5g protein.

I did send an email to Empower Foods to find out fi they plan to do a bread mix. Here's hoping.

About getting bored. Eat as if you are eating for the rest of your life. Make your menu varied and look for dozens of different recipes. I actually plan my menu for 2 weeks ahead, I then know what I am going to buy and know what I am making up each day.

Dale
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 15:45

BF:

Dale,

Thank you for your reply. I have been trying to get the bread mix in Melbourne Australia, and it is pretty much non existent. GNC continue to promise to get it in for me but that still hasn't happened. I am hoping as more and more people start doing low carb, there will be more supplies available. I like your point "to look at this a way of eating for the rest of my life" . I have been very good at going out with friends and asking for a variation to the meal. To date most eating venues have been very accomodating.

Can you give me the link to the bread recipe?

Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 22:02
Registered Member

Stats: 250/250/150
BF:
Progress:

Here it is:
1 pack of Farmer Cheese (I have been trying to find this. Thanks to one of the contributors here, I have found it is 3rd level down from cottage cheese, very dry and crumbly. Nobody knows what it is, and I am assuming 1 pack is 500g).
1/4 cup butter at room temp
4 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup bake mix (Atkins or GNC--I prefer GNC)

Put cheese, butter, eggs and soda in food processor until creamy. Add meal and bake mix.
Mix for seconds until everything is combined. The dough is very sticky.
Grease a bread pan well. Set oven at 350F. Plop the dough into the pan. Bake about 50mins until brown on top.
When cool cut the loaf.
I worked this out to be about 30--35g protein and 120g Protein.

I do have my local cheese shop trying to find it, but haven't heard. The marketing manager from Empower Foods www.empowerfoods.com.au has said they are working on a bread mix. I checked their ingredients, and they seem to be very simple and clean.

I can't find WASA crackers either. Went all over Melbourne and Myer, but to no avail.

You could try Atkins recipe in his book. At least it will toast well.

Also try GAF Control Sales at Port Melbourne 03 9646 0900 as they are the distributors of NZ Jock 'n Al's Splenda sweetened jams and toppings. These are made for diabetics and low carbers.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 19:30

BF:

Hey Dale,

Thank you for your reply, sorry it's so belated. I have only just noticed your response. I have tried some of the atkins pancake mix and it's okay. I found a bread shop in Essendon, Melbourne that claims they make LC bread by modifying rice so that it behaves like a protien. Have you heard of that before? I have been eating it cautiously. I think they said it was about 2g of carb per slice. And after not eating bread it tastes like a slice of heaven.
Are you aware of any other bread that we can eat.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 20:29

Plan: Own
Stats: 73/69/65
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Katweber.

Which bread shop??

I'll make the trip to essendon for some bread! mmmmmmmm

Ta, Dani
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:24

BF:

Hi,

The breadshop is called Old Strathmore Bakery phone number 93790915 7 woodland street strathmore vic. 3041. I love their fruit loaf....I still have not be able to get exact carb quantities off them but they have told me that the breads are low carb. Good luck let me know if you find the carb content. I have seriously broken the plan over the last month. But thank goodness have not put on any weight. I am hope to re start the plan of of today. So I will definately be back to the breadshop.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 17:35
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Katweber

If you're craving bread check out the 'Had BIG craving' thread on this forum. These muffins are great and really are a lot like bread.
Have you tried the FibreX product? I have it every day (as porridge) as an afternoon snack and love it.
Also have you tried protein shakes for a change? There are literally tons of ideas in this forum for different things to eat, you just have to keep looking, searching and experimenting 'til you find things you like and can make a regular part of your diet.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 22:39
Registered Member

Stats: 238/194/176 Male 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi zedgirl...
I made a muffin loaf in the meatloaf tin leaving out the bacon adding a bit more cheese and two teaspoons of cinnamon to the mix..it makes a nice change ..I guess there are lots of different things you could add to the basic mix, just a matter of experimenting eh ..
Take care...John...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 01:05
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Hello voodaloo

Spooky timing. Just over an hour ago I made a new type of muffin using FibreX. I saw an ad for Splenda in a magazine and in the ad was a recipe for 'Pesto Muffins'. I subbed the sr flour with FibreX, left out the Splenda (the first batch with Splenda were horrible and sweet) and subbed the milk with cream and water. I thought they came out pretty good. They're a lot drier than the cheese and bacon muffins and even more bread like I think. Here's the recipe:

2 cups self raising flour (I used FibreX)
1/4 cup Splenda (I omitted this)
1 tsp baking powder (might need more)
salt and white pepper
1/2 cup basil pesto
1 cup milk (I used half water, half whipping cream)
1 egg
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 200C. Grease twelve 1/3 cup capacity muffin pans. Put FibreX, Splenda, baking powder, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Stir until well combined. Make a well in the centre and add pesto, milk (cream & water), egg and olive oil. Stir with a metal spoon until just combined. Do not overbeat or your muffins will be tough. Fill muffin pans 2/3 full of mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until muffins feel firm when pressed in the centre and are evenly browned.

I only made half the mixture and haven't done the carb count yet. If you try them I'd be interested to know what you think and if you made any changes.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 04:36
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: :(/://:) Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

Where in Brisbane can I buy this bread mix please? I could get my Aunty to send it over.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 19:27

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

if you want to make your own i have been making this for months and it is good, i modified it from a recipe from the US: doesn't go so well in bread machines because of the knead cycle.

1 1/4 cups high gluten flour
1/2 cup oat bran
1 tablespoon yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

Put yeast and sugar in a bowl, add warm water (the yeast 'eats' the sugar so it isn't counted as carbs). While yeast is proofing, mix dry ingredients together. Then add yeast/water/sugar mixture and oil. Mix wet and dry ingredients lightly, turn onto board and knead gently for a few minutes. Place dough in clean bowl and put in warm, draft free place (I sat mine in front of the heater) for 40 mins. The dough should have risen about twice its original size. Place into greased loaf tin, cover with tea towel then put back in warm place again for another 30-40 minutes. Preheat oven to 180 C. Bake for 30-40 mins (mine took 60 but I have an old, gas oven) Turn onto wire rack. Will slice when warm, but is easier if you allow to cool completely before slicing or put into freezer until half frozen then slice.

Total Carbs: 56g , i get at least 20 slices from it.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 18:03

Stats: 293/266/140 Female 68ins
BF:How about cuddly??
Progress: 18%

Quick question here, BUT would a sour dough bread have less carbs ????
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 18:43
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 187/184/156 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 10%

sambalam, is the 56 g per slice or the whole loaf?

I am new to all this and have no idea