Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 11:45

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Question Blood pressure

I am a novice when it comes to info on high blood pressure. About a year ago, my gp doctor said I had high blood pressure and put me on meds, although my gyn doctor says my pressure is not high.

Three days ago I stopped taking the meds and have been monitoring my bp very closely (please no comments to see my doctor).

Today, my bp has varied more than the past days I have checked. When is the correct time to take an accurate bp read? Should I just take an average or is that too inaccurate?

Today :
**9:30 am (pre-food, post commute) BP 162/115 YIKES!
**11:00 am (post food, pre-lunch) BP 146/93
**1:30 pm (post lunch) BP 129/98

Thank you for your help,
Julie

P.S. My usual pressure is around 140/90.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 17:46

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

I work in the medical field and have experience with BP machines. You've just discovered a little secret about BP numbers, they vary constantly. You need to measure exactly the same way, under the same conditions everytime to know if your numbers are moving. When I am testing a cuff, as I did just today, I can raise my systolic by30+and diastolic 20+ simply by holding my arm parallel to the floor, rather than straight down. I can raise it as much or more by putting the cuff on my forearm, or simply using to wrong size cuff. Always take it sitting, with at least 5 min of sitting quietly first.
Hope this helps. DLB
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 18:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Julie,

I have to ask - why did you stop taking the medication? Were you having side effects?
My next question, what was your BP reading taken by your gynae? And were you taking the meds at the time?

Low carbing does usually lower high blood pressure, but ceasing prescribed meds without consulting with your doctor is never a wise idea.
I know you are keeping track of your BP, but I seriously think that ceasing this medication should only be done under medical supervision.

High blood pressure is not something to be taken lightly. In my many years as an ICU RN, I have seen many, many people with major problems caused by untreated hypertension.

All the best to you.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 19:19
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Julie,

bluesmoke brought up a good point about cuff size. If your upper arm is larger than 14" around, you should be using a large cuff, otherwise the readings will be off.

I heartily second Rosebud's admonition, being an old ICU/ Emerg RN meself ... What I'd like to know is ... what was the name of the BP med? Reason I ask is that certain meds can cause rebound high blood pressure when stopped abruptly .. with serious consequence.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 07:29

Default Thank you

Thank you folks for your responses.

Bluesmoke : Thanks for the info on keeping your arm straight down. We had always measured with the arm at an angle.

My med was "BISOPRL/HCTZ 10/6.2 TAB WATS" , whatever that means.

The reason for me stopping the med is really stupid.
>>I have gained 30 pounds since my doctor has seen me. He had put me on a 1200 calorie diet where I gained some and then I gained an addition 19 pounds when I started Atkins in Feb/Mar. My bp script expires 9/11/2 and I am not going back to the doctor to get a script renewed weighing this much.

Thanks again for your help.

Julie

**BP before food: 160/104
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 07:43

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

My understanding was that the upper arm had to be parallel to the floor and level with the shoulder, In my case this gave a somewhat lower reading than with the arm hanging straight down. I used to have a prop to support my arm on while I was sitting down. I made sure that the conditions were alway the same for each reading that I took
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Gator Gal -

Couldn't you go to another doctor? A new doctor would have no way of knowing you had gained weight if you didn't say so! I know how you feel, but health comes before pride I would say.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:50

Default Yes..

Very , Very good advice, but this doctor IS kind of a new doctor. I will try and find a new one today. Thank you for the motivation.

Heck, I could always go back to the present doctor AFTER I finally lose some weight.

Thank you,
Julie

EDIT: Forget it. I'll stop being a whimp and bite the bullet. Calling my regular doctor at 2pm for an appointment. Thanks!

Last edited by GatorGal93 : Fri, Sep-06-02 at 11:26.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 15:07
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation

Julie ... I'm so glad you're getting back to the dr right away. Bisoprolol is a beta-blocker, and is one of the meds you should NEVER stop taking abruptly!! It can cause rebound high blood pressure, higher than previous even ... and a BP of 160/104 is not good at all, way too high High blood pressure isn't called the Silent Killer for nothing. Stopping a beta blocker suddenly can cause angina and even heart attack.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 15:39

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thought someone might find this interesting:

Medical Devices & Surgical Technology Week
Publisher: CW Henderson
Issue: September 1, 2002
Page: 3

Hypertension
FDA clears breakthrough breathing device to lower blood pressure

2002 SEP 1 - (NewsRx.com) -- Millions of Americans with high blood pressure can now benefit from the first nondrug medical device clinically proven to reduce high blood pressure without side effects.

InterCure, Inc., announced that the device, RESPeRATE, has received clearance from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for over-the-counter distribution.

The interactive, device-guided breathing technology used in RESPeRATE is based upon the established scientific evidence that certain breathing exercises, when performed routinely, can lower blood pressure. These therapeutic breathing exercises are difficult to perform properly without the interactive, personalized coaching that RESPeRATE provides.

RESPeRATE has been clinically validated to significantly lower blood pressure by an average of 14 mm Hg systolic and 9 mm Hg diastolic after 8 weeks of routine use (15 minutes per day, 3-4 times per week). Average reductions are even greater for older patients and patients with higher baseline blood pressure. These reductions are in addition to reductions achieved with other therapies.

"RESPeRATE offers an important new option, in fact, a whole new therapeutic class for the adjunctive treatment of high blood pressure," said Henry Black, chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine at Rush-Presbyterian St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago and member of InterCure's Scientific Advisory Board. "Physicians and patients have long been searching for an additional effective nondrug therapy, and RESPeRATE is a real breakthrough. It will have a major impact on how high blood pressure is treated."

RESPeRATE, about the size of a paperback book, is battery operated and can be used anywhere. Users place an elastic belt with a respiration sensor around their torso, above the clothing, and wear standard headphones. RESPeRATE automatically analyzes the user's breathing rate and pattern and then interactively guides the user through a therapeutic breathing exercise that effortlessly slows the breathing from a normal rate of 14 to 18 breaths per minute to the "therapeutic zone" of less than 10 breaths per minute with prolonged exhalation.

While breathing returns to normal after each session, the beneficial effects on the blood pressure accumulate and a significant and sustained reduction in blood pressure can be achieved with regular use.

"We are thrilled to be announcing FDA clearance to sell RESPeRATE over the counter. Now the tens of millions of people suffering from high blood pressure have easy access to this remarkable therapy," said Paul Sheils, president and CEO of InterCure. "Patients finally have a nondrug, no-side-effects treatment option to lower their blood pressure that's easy and pleasant to use and can be incorporated safely into their existing hypertension therapies."

This article was prepared by Medical Devices & Surgical Technology Week editors from staff and other reports. Copyright 2002, Medical Devices & Surgical Technology Week via NewsRx.com.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 07:20

Question Wish list

Doreen,

I have compiled a list of things I want to chat with the doctor about. Can you critique and/or add some?

Questions for Dr.
1. WEIGHT gain since last visit (Prozac, bp med?). Why?
2. Stopped Prozac, gyn recommended Ativan instead. Thoughts?
3. Stopped your 1200 calorie diet. Continued to gain. On Atkins now since it worked 5 years ago. Thoughts?
4. Still get occasional unknown bruising. Why? High bp?
5. ?
6. ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Julie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:02
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
1. WEIGHT gain since last visit (Prozac, bp med?). Why?
Hmmm .. well, beta blockers (bisoprolol) are notorious for stalling weight loss, according to Atkins. They increase insulin resistance, and can cause fluid retention. The particular formula you took had a mild diuretic in it though (hydrochlorothiazide, or HCTZ). Prozac on the other hand, IS associated with significant weight gain. A small % of people lose weight, but most gain. 10 yrs ago, I was given Prozac to help my chronic fatigue (it helped all right .. I was bouncing off the ceiling, and insomniac) .. anyhooo, I gained 30+ lbs in less than 3 months. The dr. had the nerve to say the reason was "I was feeling better, therefore eating more"
Quote:
2. Stopped Prozac, gyn recommended Ativan instead. Thoughts?
Stopping Prozac is a good idea Some of the literature I've read shows that it can have effects on carbohydrate metabolism (in the liver) and even cause hypothyroidism. These effects aren't common, but still ...

Ativan (lorazepam) is related to Valium, and most helpful for anxiety. It has more sedative effect than Prozac, that's for sure! Best taken at night. The sedative/drowsy effect lessens after awhile, as your body adjusts. It's not associated with weight gain or fluid retention at all.
Quote:
3. Stopped your 1200 calorie diet. Continued to gain. On Atkins now since it worked 5 years ago. Thoughts?
Atkins should work again, as long as you do it to the letter. Might consider the suggestions about arachidonic acid from Protein Power too (in the fat of red meat and egg yolk). And do be sure to incorporate OWL and increased vegetables as you gradually work up to the higher carb levels. Fiber from vegetables (and low-glycemic fruits like berries and melon) are known to help with blood vessel health and lowered blood pressure. Plus the natural potassium they contain is beneficial. So many people stay below 20g carbs for so long ... which may or may not speed weight loss, but at the same time they're depriving their bodies the benefits of eating the best kinds of carbs.
Quote:
4. Still get occasional unknown bruising. Why? High bp?
We've had previous discussions about bruising, you might want to check 'em out:Hope this helps

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:09

Thumbs up Wow!

You were so personalized and thorough! (To be honest, my eyes got a little damp thinking someone I have never met can help me sooooo much.)

I am going to print your post (answers) and bring it with me to the doctor.

I cannot say, "THANK YOU ! " enough! I really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Julie

#14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:31
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile

S'okay Julie. Some day, you'll be able to share what you've learned and help somebody else. That's what support is all about.

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 09:30

Exclamation Well...

I RULE!!!

My cholesterol is down . Although, I have no idea what they mean, here are the numbers:

Total cholesterol: 237
Triglycerides: 193
HDL: 75
LDL: 123

Ratio: 1.6

Whoopie!!!

But..........................back on the bp meds.
50mg HCTZ

Thanks for listening,
Julie