Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 17:50

Plan: lchf
Stats: 325/264/140 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Avandia

I have read in a couple different places where people say that avandia makes them gain weight. I am wondering if this med is making it harder for me to loose? I take 8 mg once a day. I also take 1000mg twice a day metformin and 40 units lantus at bed time......
anyone have any experance with the avandia or any of the other meds?
thanks
maggie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 22:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 282/276/150
BF:50%
Progress: 5%
Default Avandia

Hi there! Maggie? My name is Debi and I live in Fresno, CA and I am new here also, however, I just recently fired my doctor because he has had me on Avandia and I have been trying to lose weight and I am also Diabetic and I also take Metformin 1000 mg twice a day and am on Insulin. I took Avandia for almost a year and finally figured out for myself why I felt so lousy and I gained over 80 pounds and swelled up like a balloon. Avandia's side effects are weight gain and adema...water retention. Get yourself to your doctor and tell him to please take you off of the Avandia!!! It will kill you in the long run. I have just started the Schwarzbein's Lo Carb WOE but I feel better since I stopped taking the avandia and I had my new doctor give me some water pills and I feel great. My sugars are still up but the Avandia was making me so sick and fat and miserable. I hope this helps. And let anyone else you know who is on it that it will eventually blow up your liver. Good luck sweetie and keep up the good work. It will get better now, I promise you. Love and Laughter, Debido54
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 13:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283.8/283.8/150
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've been on Avandia for two years now and I really like it. I've experienced no bad side effects from it. My sugars have been stable (except when I stray from low carbing) I think in some ways diabetes meds are like birthcontrol you have to find the right one. Avandia is right for me but it doesn't make it right for everyone by any means.