Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Smile New to Atkins

Hi all! I just bought the book today!
I'm gonna start Tuesday or Wednesday (gotta shop! )
Any advice for a newbie?
I need to lose 120 lbs....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 20:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Quindal,

Welcome!....Just follow induction to the letter! You may not feel super the first few days...but that's your body detoxifying!....Just stick with it!...it will pass and you will lose your cravings and hunger...and should get a boost in energy!....And start a journal of what you eat. www.Fitday.com is a good place to enter what you eat to find out how many calories/fat/protein/carb counts...
Good Luck!

God Bless America! And the World!
Attached Images
File Type: gif 911_eaglecry.gif (74.7 KB, 76 views)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 23:47

Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Welcome Quinadal,

You have definatly come to the right place, you will find tons of support and ideas here. just read the book and remember that you really have to drink lots and lots of water i'm talking a gallon a day or more. drinking this water may also curb the headachs and other effects of transition. If you do feel groggy after your first couple of days don't worry it will pass. You will soon find out that this diet is one of the best ones you have probably been on. Expecially when you are eating all the Steak fish & chicken you want and loosing weight fast, while other people are eating rice cakes and tiny portions of fat free tastless food.

My husband and I are on the Atkins plan and one day we were eating a lot of buffalo wings and drinking Miller light beer and we just started laughing out loud knowing that we could pig out like that and still loose weight.

sometimes it feels so sinful.

PS: we don't drink the beer too much, just once in a while, but we love our buffalo wings
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 09:48

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Advice for a Newbie:

READ the book! This is the top of the list advice that I would give. The book has a wealth of information and should be referred to constantly. Even at almost a year of LCing, I still refer to the book often.

Read through the "Stickys" that you'll find in the different forums. They have been made stickys because they contain valuable information.

This is a list of Hot Links assembled by Karen:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/announce...?s=&forumid=110
Be sure to check it out!

Start a journal here in the forum....I think that you will find this a very useful tool. It will help you to stay on track and will give the rest of us a place to come visit and offer information and encouragement. For the how to's:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/announce...?s=&forumid=110

Wishing you every success with LCing.

Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Thanks all! It still seems sooo weird to be able to eat all this yummy stuff!
The only problem I see is my dad. He lives in the past and keeps going on and on about how fats are fattening.
I just try to ignore him and think of all the nummy steaks I can eat!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 11:35
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hello Q...

Don't worry about your Dad's philosophy, and do NOT try to convince him!!! Your weight loss, your overall health improvement and your changed attitudes about food will do that in the near future!! Many, many people have come around in their own time when they see LC'ing in action.

Good for you on your commitment. I'm on DAY 2 of a new start. Hang in here with us, there's a wealth of info, support and personal encouragement. (Not to mention recipes for interesting menus!)

#7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 14:01
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I agree with all the above advice. I would like to add be sure to supplement while on induction. Its hard for most to have enough potassium. I got terrible leg cramps that went away when I added a calcium, magnesium supplement. L-carnitine really helps with sugar withdrawal.

Best of luck, I'm excited for you!
Nancy