Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 19:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/192/149
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Ketosis but no weight loss

I've been on Atkins for almost 2 months. During the first month, I lost 16 lbs. Then the next week I lost 3 more lbs. However, since then, the scales have stayed the same even though my ketostix show I'm in the medium range every day. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, can you explain what's happening that I'm not losing any weight while continuing to stay in ketosis. Thanks in advance. mls84
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes, I had it happen.
No, I can't really explain it.
Yes, you will eventually lose again.

Well, I sort of can explain it. The body we each live in is the most marvellous machine. It is programmed to protect itself and keep itself running. In famine, it saves all its assets. In times of plenty, it stores the surplus for possible future famine.

Everyone has fat cells. Many of us have overstuffed our fat cells by eating foods that elicit high insulin surges. When we start eating protein, fat and few carbs, we no longer store excess carbs as fat and start burning stored fat for energy. Hence, you show ketosis on the sticks.

But those fat cells get terribly upset as the fat stored is used up, and they grab lots of water in an effort to try to "plump" themselves up to their old size. If you keep on LC, they will eventually let go of that water and you will experience the "whoosh" - a sudden inexplicable loss of 3-5 pounds or even more in just a few days.

Please use a tape measure and measure every body part you can reach: waist, hips, abdomen, bust or chest, thighs, calves, neck, wrist - everything. You may find that you are losing inches but not pounds. Fat is FLUFFY. Water is SMOOTH. And if you are gaining lean muscle from the protein intake and possible exercise, then you WILL be smaller but maybe not lighter for the time being. Stay with LC and the scales WILL move.

Hope this helps.

#3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 19:35

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

When I started Atkins, I lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks, stalled for 3 months then lost another 20. So your experience is very normal - if I'm normal.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 19:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/192/149
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thanks for the helpful and encouraging information!! mls84
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 20:04

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

First two months I lost 34 pounds, then stalled for 8 months, then very slowly lost another 16 pounds. I was in ketosis for those 8 months too.

Our bodies need a rest sometimes after shedding some of the fat. Give it the break it needs and keep furnishing it with healthy low carb foods. Stick with the plan and don't look at this as a diet. Look at it as a way of life and the pounds will come off in their own timeframe not yours. Just enjoy a diet rich in healthy foods and know you won't gain the weight back.

#6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 16:40

Stats: 223/222/170
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default mls84

If you need a little pump up.... mls84 look at my journel... Ive been on induction for 7 weeks without loosing a pound. I have not dispaired. This is not a diet.. I will be on this for the rest of my life...the reason I am the way i am is because ive been a carbo junkie...I use to consume 300 to 4 carbs a day....now Im doing around 10 to 15 a day.. sooner or later I will lose that first pound...I know this is the right way to eat..
hang in there andmake this a mind set... not a diet...if i loose one pound this year .. I know im going in the right direction..
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: Began 8-26-02 with CALP
Stats: 174/???/135
BF:
Progress: -5%
Default Wow, I'm in the same boat

Aside from a few STUPID cooking/eating mistakes (like cooking with canned soups, man I didn't realize how many carbs they had), I've managed to stay within the 'moderate' ketosis level on the ketostix chart and haven't lost anything. This is my 2nd week. I don't feel as 'fluffy' though.
Wombat