Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:52

Plan: combination
Stats: 181/174/135
BF:55%/55%/25%
Progress: 15%
Question I don't have any energy anymore when I exercise

Hi,

I just started a low carb diet two weeks ago. I;ve lost 6 lbs, which is great. I'm sort of following my own plan, maybe closest to the Carbohydrate Addict book. I tend to have low carb breakfast and lunch (sometimes no carb) and any carb is always whole grain or veggies.

I have a part time job, where I walk dogs for 2 hrs every day, around lunchtime. Well, since being on the low carb diet I am dragging during exercise! Could it be that this is actually a god thing? That since I don't have carbs to burn for energy, my body is burning fat as I exercise?

I also found that unless I eat some carbs with dinner I can't get to sleep at night. So with dinner I'll have maybe a slice of whole grain bread. Dinner is often 3-4 whole grain rye crackers with cheese, and some fruit. I;ve found that if I have a dinner of something like a steak I have very bad diarrhea the next morning - to the point of passing out on the floor one morning! This is not good.... I seem to be better if I have a few more carbs.

Can the fact that I get a lot of exercise mean that I need more carbs?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 12:12

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

I wish somebody could give insite to the no energy thing. I have been on atkins for 3 weeks now and still have no energy. It is driving me crazy that I don't have the energy that I did before. I thought this diet would increase the energy!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 18:43

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default no/low energy

Take heart. The low energy problem does eventually get better. I have been LCing for 7 months now and I rarely have an energy problem. When I first started, however, it was a different story. I got sore muscles easily and my muscles fatigued rapidly even though I took L-Glutamine. That helped, but it didn't totally solve the problem.

Over time, my body has adjusted to this lifestyle and it has gotten much better. I am able to do intense workouts on my elliptical machine and exercise bike and I also do some weight training. I do notice that when I lower my carbs back down to 20 or 25 gms a day for more than 2 or 3 days, I feel it, but as long as I stay around 40-50 gms a day, I am fine.

You have both been on LC for a short time so your bodies haven't quite figured out what is going on! Remember, changing over to LC from a high carb diet is quite a shock for a body to go through. It's very worth it, however. My health is tremendously better and I rarely have carb cravings, which is a miracle to me!

I wish the best to you both.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

This is just an echo of the prev. post. Your body eventually will adjust, some people take longer than others. It will be especially good for the kind of exercise you're doing, long low intensity.
I used to have the same feeling, dragging completely spent muscles. I love to hike, especially long hard hikes and now sticking to low carb actually makes me feel more energetic and strong than if I'm munching on carbs before hand.
Have faith! You should start feeling better in a matter of weeks, after months it will be great.
Meg

ps: I don't know if this has any relevance to your situation, but I find if I eat carbs in the morning I burn them off later and feel ok. If I eat them in the evening, the following morning I am really sluggish.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 13:00

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

Thanks guys!! It is good to know that I am not alone, and that it will not last forever!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 20:49
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Hey!

I am new to this LC thing as well and I am also dealing with no energy during exercise. I have been having no more than 20g of carbs a day for about a week and I have had to reduce my weight load during exercise. It is almost like starting over again!

I am glad to hear that this will eventually pass. I had a small high protein meal about one hour before my workout today and it seemed to help somewhat.

I am also a lacot-ovo vegetarian. Any suggestions about that and working out?

Paleoanth
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 18:01

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:

If your focus is on having good workouts, then you might consider consuming 20g of carbs 1-2 hours prior, along with some protein. For example, a whey protein drink with some oatmeal thrown in.
Many find that this fuels the exercise and gets burned off. You get a tough workout without keeling over and no negative impact on weight loss.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 18:37
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%

Have you tried potassium pills? I have read all over the forum about them. I take big 100 B complex formula everyday and it helps me. what do ya got ta lose?

Amber
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 21:42
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24

Good advice both of you! I have noticed that this past week has gotten easier. I even increased my weight on my triceps sets.

I think that my body is finally adjusting to using a different source of energy. Can I increase the carb load on workout days even while in induction? I am starting to lose some weight and don't want to stall out. I understand increasing it while on maintenance, but......

Paleo