Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 11:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I miss my tacos

I've been on the induction (kind of modified at this point) since January 3rd, 2005. I realized on the weekend that I miss my tacos. Everything that would go in a tacos would obviously be low carb but does anyone have any suggestions about the tacos itself, the tortillas? Is there anything that I can buy at the grocery store that could replace the tacos? I have to stuff the hamburger and the veggies into something? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 11:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lettuce leaves, cabbage leaves, Chinese cabbage leaves, low-carb tortillas or this recipe

1 Taco will fill you up, Guaranteed!!!!!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 21:36

Stats: 200/200/120 Female 5 feet
BF:

Karen. Thank you so much for the recipe. I read it and I think I can do it. I'm sure my husband will love too even though he's not on the Atkins but sometimes he'll eat whatever I make. Anyways, the recipe looks fantastic. I'm getting hungry just looking at it but it's past 8:00 p.m. and I've decided to not eat anything after 8:00 p.m.

Again, thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 17:18
Registered Member

Stats: 0/0/0 Male 0
BF:
Progress:
Default try rosie's taco shells

#5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 17:25
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

I've skipped using them totally and don't miss them. I make the salad in a bowl: meat first with some cheese and then add the salad. Top it all off with a little more cheese, salsa and sour cream. I don't notice the shell's not there.
Better for the waist line and cheaper too.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 20:30
Registered Member

Stats: 252/250/190 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I make a taco salad with pork rinds, hamburger, onions, cheese, sour cream....it is awesome!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 06:33
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

ok BUT you're eating a salad NOT a taco! Rosie's taco's are really good and I like that crispy crunch! Not to mention they're Low Carb! Why deprive yourself when you don't have to?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 03:55

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I made a cheese taco shell a while ago and it was delicious! Make a large Cheese Chip (from recipe section) and to make the bend in the 'shell', I suspended a wooden spoon between 2 tall cans and as soon as I took the cheese out of the microwave I draped it across the spoon. It hardens as it cools. I stuffed it with all the traditional fillings and it was great. One was enough for me.

another idea would be toasting an LC tortilla wrap until crispy (either bend it over something bake-proof or else break it up and use it as chips) or make the Cheese Chips and use those to scoop the filling or have on the side with your taco salad??

Oh, BTW, I use parchment paper when I make the cheese chips in the microwave. Doesn't stick and I just blot them with paper towel while they're still hot.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 07:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up way to go Nicole!!!

Rather than do without let's think of ways to re-invent the foods we love! I still say try rosie's taco shells-they are truly amazing!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 06:06

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I like him better with short hair but I LLLLLUUUUURRRRRVVVVEEEE your avatar
*pant* *pant* *pant*

Like this one:

**Sorry! Didn't mean to derail the thread **

I think it's a better idea to search and try to find a substitute for a food you miss (but not expecting it to be EXACTLY the same - that would be setting yourself up for disappointment IMO) - it's better than eventually caving in and going off plan and the resultant guilt/upset/stress that would involve, right??

Last edited by nikkil : Tue, Apr-26-05 at 06:11.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 09:07
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Talking ummmm

Yeah right Nicole, like it's the hair in your pic u like! You're absolutly right! If you're looking for things to taste exactly like the originals-forget it! But I like to think of it as eating a different brand of the things I love, and before long you forget or prefer your new choices. Am I right or am I right?