Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 12:08

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 164/139/125
BF:36/ /22
Progress: 64%
Default Body Fat Calculators

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has a link to a body fat calculator online. I used to go to a particular web site to get this figure, however I can't seem to locate it. I'd appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 12:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sugarless, here are a few you can choose from. Your best bet is to use one over time and go with the general trend - they are all just estimations at best and can be off by quite a bit.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
http://www.healthcentral.com/coolto...ss/bodyfat1.cfm
http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petr...ss/ckdcalc.html

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 14:31

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 164/139/125
BF:36/ /22
Progress: 64%

Thanks for your reply Nat! I went to each of the 3 sites and figured out my Body Fat Percentage on each. I'm not sure if I did it wrong or what because these are my results, not necessarily in order: 29.804, 30.4636, and 22.3. I'd like to go with the last one but think the other 2 are probably closer.? However, to reach my goal of 22% body fat according to the 2 calculators, I will have to drop my weight down to about 110-115 pounds. I weighed this in high school and looked way to thin. Right now I weigh 142 and I feel very lean and healthy at 125-130. What do you think?

Sincerely,
Lori
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 14:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/177/167
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default confused

I thought these 3 would be a lot closer together. While the numbers are lower than they would've been, say, two months ago, I'm wondering why the huge difference. One said 33% (which I know is too high), and the other two were 22.1% and 23.9%. The 3rd one told me I should weigh 180. Now wait a minute, I'm 5'6. I don't look awful, but I'm not svelte either. Is this simply because I carry most of my weight in my chest and hips and have a lot of muscle in my legs or ????

And one more question - if my calf got two inches larger in the past two months, I figure that would be muscle, right? ...since I don't have flabby calves. And if that's the case, how much muscle would that be (pound-wise)?

Last edited by sroo2 : Fri, Aug-30-02 at 15:02.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 15:10

BF:

You'll get all kinds of different answers from BF calculators based on the formulas you use. Some use just waist and weight, others more measurements. This is why it is generally advised you pick on (any one) and use it over time to see the trend - as long as it's down it's all good

There is a sticky in the BFL subforum on BF% and using it to determin goal weight - it might be worth a boo.

HTH
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 17:38

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanks, Nat. I just tried your BF calculators and it was very interesting. The first one called for neck, waist and hip measurments and came out with 51%. The second one calls for hip, calf, wrist, and thigh measurments and came out with 32%. And the last one was just waist and it came out with 51%.

Someday, I'll probably have it done with calipers or the water method, but until then, I think I'll pass. I am still way up there in any case so BF doesn't make that much difference for me.

However, the last one also calculates your nutrient requirements and that was very interesting. It says that I should be eating about 190 grams of protein a day and that is about what I am eating! It's nice to know I'm on somebody's track.

;-Deb
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 18:33

BF:

Deb, the CKD parameter calculator holds a near and dear place in my heart (and bookmarks) it was the very first LCish place I found online way back when, it was also the subject of my very first post on this forum (to which I forgot to post the actual link ).

The profile it generates is really useful - even if you're doing strict LC. I've been toying with it lately and trying to come up with foods I can use to equal 500+g of grainless carbs for my CKD attempt in a few weeks - kinda freaky punching those foods into fitday

BF% when you're over a certain point is scary and very "why bother" (been there, done that, didnt like the answers) - but having the information now for later can be very motivating Write down your numbers somewhere and forget about them until later. It's always great to see just how far you've come.

Cheers,
Nat