Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 20:24
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Unhappy I'm confused

This week I got my bodyfat measured, visited my doctor, a trainer at my gym, and a nutritionist. I asked them all what my goal weight should be and got the same answer 125 and when I argued with them, maybe 120, which is a lot more than I thought my goal should be. The dr. and nutr. suggested getting to the 120s seeing if I can maintain it for a few months and then trying to lose more if I can.

Doesn't Dr. Atkins say something the opposite to this, that we should stay in weight loss mode until we're at our final goal and it should be the weight we really desire to be at?

I was told that going below 120 was unrealistic for my build, but I weighed 18 lbs less than that until I was 25 and became pregnant. But I was a partial vegetarian and had no muscles back then. I don't know.....

Can I ask you, how did you come up with your goal weight?

Last edited by nawchem : Thu, Aug-29-02 at 20:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 20:57

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Honestly?

I would rather be 140 wearing a size 6, than 130 wearing a size 6. Why?

Muscle weighs more. I would rather be a very toned 140 pounds and looking healthy than 130 and looking rather thin. I was once at 120 and very bulimic and very unhealthy looking. Gaunt would be a good word for my looks.

Would 5 pounds of muscle make that much difference on your small frame? Maybe your doctor and nutritionist are thinking that way as well. Muscle does weigh more than fatty tissue. Would you rather weight a bit more if you could have nice firm muscles?

I know I would

Best of luck in what you decide.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 21:20
Registered Member

thanks for sharing that. I'm not used to thinking about muscle at all. Can you really look smaller at a higher weight if its more muscle? I guess I'm too hung up on the numbers.

BTW Agonycat I've always been curious about your avatar.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 21:36

Yes, you really can wear smaller sizes at a higher body weight. The difference is lean muscle tissue vs fat. The below picture was a find from Nat

As for my forum name. It was rough going for me for a while. I suffered with bulima for years, then fixed that only to become an alcoholic. So when I signed up on this forum a year ago I was detoxing pretty bad Not only from not drinking but carb addiction.

Now a year later I have lost 50 pounds, haven't had a drink in 18 months, haven't had a smoke since um June of 2000. Life is good to say the least hehehe Now if I can only find a job. I got laid off 2 months ago, but ya know....after all I have been through, this is the easy part.

Think about what you would look like at 125 toned up and lean, vs 119 with no workouts and untoned from losing from 158 pounds. I am willing to bet you are going to be drop dead gorgeous at 125
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fatmus.jpg (52.5 KB, 53 views)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 22:17
Registered Member

I'll keep that (kind of gross) picture in mind.

What a difference a year has made in your like eh? What was your strength that got you through all that.

Sorry about your job situation. I went through a layoff 2 years ago and worked at a temp job for a year. The job was pretty neat, but I felt like I could never quite relax until I had regular employment.

It sounds like you have a good attitude and a lot of inner fortitude.

Nancy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 06:09

Quote:
Originally posted by nawchem
I'll keep that (kind of gross) picture in mind.

What a difference a year has made in your like eh? What was your strength that got you through all that.

Nancy

Hehehehe Yeah the first time Nat posted it I had the same thought. ewwwwwwwwwwww gross! Then it made me realize, no wonder I can get in smaller sizes even though I am heavier.

What was/is my strength? My husband. He is by far the kindest man I have ever met. Softhearted, hates conflict and will go to great lengths to avoid them, totally loves me regardless of what I look like and in spite of my past drunken stupiors. I figured I needed to straighten up my act not only for my health, but for him as well.

And you know.....it was worth every painful moment I endured detoxing out.