Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 15:40

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

So....THAT explains that fairy thing that goes across the screen when I come here! I wondered what that was!!!

I thought it was an angel!

So those drawings that everyone wants with their names on them are whoosh fairies???
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 15:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default I think it's because...

Hello Michelle,

I've been reading a few different books. CALP, Atkins, Mastering the Zone, Protein Power and I just picked up Suzanne Somers' "Somersizing" last night. I am just so curious about how the programs are different. Somersizing seems to not be LC but what she calls "food combining". I think all the books are interesting and probably work.

It got me thinking and (since I'm new to LC'ing) it finally hit me, or sunk in, the reason why we NEED to eat and get the calories. So that our bodies don't think we are in starvation mode and hang on to our fat. I guess that's why we lose more when we eat more, at least I've found and that might be why you did. At least that's my pea brain assessment.

You probably already know that. I feel like I'm the last to figure things out- at least I eventually do. I just couldn't see why I needed to eat, eat and eat some more. But now I do. It's so hard with the big cravings gone. But I wouldn't recomment getting your calories from sweets. Stick to the plan, you will feel better in the long run. - BTW, I haven't had a headache since I started taking my supplements. Are you taking yours?

Good luck!
Carianne
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 16:18
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

Thanks Carianne-

I have been doing ok with my calories, but the ice cream put me over on carbs. (About 50 when I "should be" under 40). He says it gives a shock to my system and gets it going again...

Lets see what others say too...

And I have had a few headaches, but it was only when my blood sugar was way too low, and I knew to eat something. I have been taking my supplements, and have been doing better! Thanks for asking

~Michelle
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 18:49
Reinventing Myself

BF:

I am just bringing this up b/c I am wondering if anyone knows the answer....
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 15:16

Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default OH BOY...

Hello Michelle,

I hope things are going well for you. Did you come out of that stall yet? How did your body react in the last few days after that icecream? Any new losses or did you gain at all?

Im curious because last night I blew it. I cheated bigtime. I hosted a small group from our church last night and made some brownies. I also provided some LC snacks as I wasn't the only LC'r there . While everyone was there I was the pillar of strength, not one illegal snack went into my mouth and I wasn't really tempted. But after everyone left that brownie was calling my name "hey, Cari, over here...see, me and ice cream are buddies and if you warm me up and them put ice cream on top of me we can all have a party!". I got sucked into his plea.

Anyway, I felt terrible a little while after I ate it and last night I truly had a "carb hangover"! I broke into sweats and got a headache. First headache since I started back. It felt like a drunken hangover.

Anyway, I even gained a pound today, but I am not really convinced it's from the brownie. I have learned my lesson. That cheat was painful. Physically and MENATALLY. I want to go back to being the pillar of strength again.

I'm going camping this weekend and I'm filling a bag with LC treats and snacks so I don't feel the need to cheat. They are providing the meals there, so hopefully its lots of meat. I doubt it though.

Have a great weekend!
Carianne
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 19:39
Reinventing Myself

BF:

Hi Carianne-
Do you believe the day after the ice cream I lost 3 pounds after being in that stall?!! The BF was right!. No one can give me an aswer about WHY it happened though, I am a little disapointed in that
Sorry to hear about the hangover...doesnt sound fun at all. they key to the ice cream was having an empty stomach. I didnt eat 4 hr before or after. I didnt have a hangover.
How did camping go? Hang in there. I am there with you. Gets hard sometimes! Keep me posted!
~Michelle

PS- If anyone knows the answer to why the ice cream worked, please tell me!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 04:31

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

The only things I've found on the subject are either:

1. it was a coincidence, that you would have lost that weight anyway.
2. you aren't eating enough calories, and it kicked you out of "starvation" mode.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 05:43
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Hi Summer!

This isn't the first time I've heard of results such as you've experienced by eating the ice cream. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. WHY did that happen? Take a look atthis post for a quote from Dr. Atkins that MAY help explain it.

There's also a thread around here somewhere (I'll see if I can find it later) called "Cheating before TOM" or something like that, I think it may be in the Tips/Stalls section. Women there are discussing caving in to pre-TOM cravings and then experiencing a whoosh. However, remember that whooshes almost always come right after TOM.....I'm having one right now as a matter of fact.... so that could just be coincidence.

There are lots of things about diets and metabolism that even the best scientists can't explain..... that's why its constantly being debated....there are no ANSWERS....just some real good educated guesses!

Bottom line, if you're stalled (remember, that's FOUR weeks with no loss) go ahead and have a bowl of ice cream to see if it helps. Just don't have a bowl of ice cream every day for 2 weeks!!!

If you're feeling so poorly on a regular basis, then perhaps you should consider upping your carbs to the 40-45 range....maybe your particular body just needs those higher levels. The add'l carbs should come from vegetables or a little fruit....not refined carbs.