Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 10:26

Plan: T.K.D.
Stats: 235/183/170 Male 5'9.5" inches
BF:33%/17%/10%
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
I've read that ATF/ATG squats can't be beat, for men or women. If you have trouble going all the way down, it could be tight hips, but you might try a really wide, toe-out stance. That's how I have to do them, thanks to the durn belly getting in the way,

I wish you had told me that a month ago! I only recently figured out that I needed to widen my stance... instantly my depth and stability improved. I still cannot get even nearly as low as my wife though; she loooooved showing that off over me!
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-05, 07:00
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%
Default Day 48 HIIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipt
I still cannot get even nearly as low as my wife though; she loooooved showing that off over me!
She sounds like my kind of lady.........

Today spent an hour vacuuming, plus 4 loads laundry, but as MyPLAN doesn't llist household chores in the exercise database, I'll just have to do some formal exercise. HIIT today, bleah.
5' warm-up, L2; then 10 (!!) intervals of 15sec sprints, L6, and 50sec recovery (HR range 158-174); then 20' static work, at L3, 143 ave HR. 380 calories burned.

PWO shake....21g PP/10g dextrose powder

Last edited by dane : Thu, Mar-31-05 at 07:15.
  #183   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 06:20
muscle bound

Default Day 49 Depletion and Carb Up

Coffee w/milk and cream~7-8am
Breakfast ~9,2HBeggs/2EW, oz mayo
Fruit~11:30am : 135g banana (g fructose);115g orange (g fruc); and 5500g green grapes (g fruc)=g total.

-circuit format.....
-4 to 5 circuits done, 10-20 quick reps (1 sec up/1 sec down)
- as many reps possible in 60s.; 30sec inbetween exercises;3 min between circuits.

Began: 1:20pm

Leg Ext: 4plates (40lbs)....set up row
Hammer Curl: 8lbsDB
Flat Bench: bar +5kg (28.6 lbs)
Seated Row: 4plates (40lbs)
Lying Leg Curl: 7kg ........set up bench
French Curl: 4.5kg DB (10lbs)
Incl Flye:4.5kg DB
Calf Raise: 4.5kg DB
Incl Bench: 4.5kg DB
Ball Crunches, Ass'td: BW.......reset ext and bench

1/2/3
Finished: 2:15pm
28gPP/25g dex pdr/25g dex candy.....begin carb up.

Still sore from last 2 workouts...... Lyle McD said this will decrease insulin sensitivity inthe muscles, and not the greatest for supercompensation. Oh well.

I think next week I will change my workout routine--go back to my 4 day split, plus some cardio. Need to think on this over the weekend.
  #184   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 09:24
muscle bound

Default Leptin

Leptin is a hormone released from fat cells which tell the brain, essentially, two things: how much bodyfat you have, and how much you’re eating. Leptin basically ‘tells’ your brain what’s going on with your fat and energy stores. When you overfeed, leptin goes up; when you diet, leptin plummets.

Leptin inhibits fat storage in fat cells, promotes glycogen storage in muscle (and increases fat oxidation in muscle), plays a role in immune system function, is involved in fetal development during pregnancy, can kill fat cells permanently, is probably involved in bone growth, and a whole bunch of other things.

In response to falling leptin, appetite goes up, metabolic rate crashes, hormones go to hell, fat storage increases. In response to increasing leptin (to a degree), appetite goes down, metabolic rate goes up, hormone levels increase, the body tries to put a brake on fat storage and pushes calories to muscle for burning. Leptin was the partitioning hormone we’d been looking for.

So we (we at this point was myself and Elzi Volk) started looking for ways to raise leptin. Short of drug solutions, the easiest way is to overfeed for short periods of time (there are also nutrients like zinc, vitamin E and fish oils that play a role too).

Because, in the same way that leptin drops way faster than fat is lost, it rebounds way faster than fat is gained. So underfeed for a week and leptin drops by like 50%. Overfeed for a few days, and it rebounds by some percentage (depending on how much you overeat). The key is eating enough calories for long enough to rebound leptin (thus ‘telling’ your brain that it’s ok, to normalize metabolism) without putting all, or hopefully any, of the fat back on.
Of course, this is also helpful psychologically, prevents the real food binges from occurring, because the cheat days are now planned.

In one of the early leptin studies, this had actually sort of been demonstrated but the researchers were too dense to see what was going on. In that study, they dieted the hell out of a bunch of fat women for 4 weeks. Leptin and bodyfat both dropped. Then they refed them gradually for a week. Leptin came back up. But fat continued to be lost. To me, this was a profound observation, I don’t recall the researchers even really noticing it (I may be wrong: this may have been the study where the one guy said ‘maybe keeping leptin up on a diet is important’, well, duh!).

Now, fundamentally, there was really nothing that new about refeeds. Bodybuilders have been using cyclical diets (of one sort or another) for decades. In hindsight, I really feel that the carb-load was the reason that the Bodyopus diet worked, not the keto phase so much. It turns out that ketogenic diets per se aren’t really protein sparing in lean folks. But the carb-load was bumping leptin and keeping the body running better overall, metabolically speaking. That’s also on top of the psychological effects of being able to ‘eat anything on a diet’ every week.

I’d known since the early Bodyopus days that having someone eat at maintenance (or even a little bit higher, say 10% over) for a week to 10 days was frequently the best way to break a fat loss plateau. That it ‘reset metabolism’ or however you want to look at it. Even Dan’s old dieting scheme was 4 weeks diet, 2 weeks off, 4 weeks diet, 2 weeks off.

If nothing else, we could give a good physiological rationale behind refeeds (you’d be amazed how much the average dieter hates the idea of breaking their diet, and the reasoning of ‘it just works’ doesn’t get you very far).

.....ghrelin actually had far more important effects than just GH secretion; it was yet another hormone involved in overall energy and bodyweight balance. In both rats and humans, ghrelin injection stimulates hunger. In fact, ghrelin is the first chemical found to do so in humans (i.e. to stimulate hunger upon injection). In rats at least, chronically high ghrelin levels causes weight gain. It does it by increasing food intake but that’s only half of it; ghrelin also causes a decrease in metabolic rate and fat burning. Basically, ghrelin is predisposing the body towards fat gain by slowing metabolism and fat burning. Whether ghrelin has these secondary effects in humans is still being researched.

In animal studies, for example, high carb, low protein diets increase ghrelin, while higher fat diets tend to lower it. I have to wonder if this doesn’t explain some of the relative failure of the ‘standard’ ADA diet (high carb, low protein) compared to your typical bodybuilders diet (high protein): higher ghrelin = more hunger and maybe more negative metabolic effects. Or the general superiority of moderate fat diets over very low fat diets. I mean, if on top of all the effects on gastric emptying, blood glucose, insulin, etc. higher fat diets are keeping ghrelin levels lower overall, that can only be a benefit from the standpoint of the dieter.

When leptin is low, your body/brain thinks you’re starving to death. And levels of NPY/AGRP are going to go up driving appetite and slowing metabolic rate, ghrelin or not. Ghrelin is simply one of the short-term signals for energy intake (since it seems to be determined by actual nutrient intake into the gut) that is, part of the overall big picture. Without correcting the problem of low leptin (or leptin resistance), I’m simply not convinced that any of this will have any real effect.

http://www.wannabebig.com/printarticle.php?articleid=87
  #185   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 03:18
muscle bound

Default Undulating Periodization

Notes from Built's thread http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php?topic=561.0
With undulating Periodization and the variable rep system, you will train each body part twice a week, yet you will not repeat the same workout for over ten days. This means the body will not have adapted, i.e. you won't need to begin a new routine for close to ten weeks, despite the fact that you are hitting each body part twice a week.

The first number is the excentric (working while the muscle is being stretched or lowered), the second is the pausing, and the third is the concentric (flexing or lifting) number.

So a 422 for example would be 4 second excentric, 2 second pause and 2 second concentric.

If the letter X appears that means go explosive or as fast as you can for that portion.

One other thing on form for DLs that a little birdy told me:

When beginning the movement, think about engaging your traps first. Keep your head up and back-- not looking forward. And then explode up with the big leg/back muscles.

For the close grip chins or pull downs....I'm doing a barbell pullover.I will replace the wide grip pulldowns with Barbell bent-over rows for now

For the high and low leg press exercises that I'm supposed to do today (don't have a leg press) is there something better to substitute than Good Mornings and Sissy Squats? I'm saving regular ATF squats and RDLs for later in the week when I've got sets of 5. This is for Phase 1, Week 1, Workout #2. And I've got the Bulgarian Split Squats and Walking lunges later in the week, so those are out as substitutes. Would Sissies and GM's be okay?Yes, sissies and GMs would be fine
  #186   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 03:18
muscle bound

Default Undulating Periodization (UP) notes

Focus your carbs to be the meals just before and just after lifting.
Your first and last meals of the day could be mainly protein and fat (mostly for comfort - a fatty meal at the end of the day kills hunger).

Low carb
Non-exercise days
Cardio only/HIIT only days

Moderate carb
Lifting days with no cardio

High Carb
Leg day
Lifting days WITH HIIT

Code:
Calorie/Carb Cycle Grams % of total cals Grams % of total cals Grams % of total cals Low (3 days) Medium (2 days) High (2 days) Protein 145 32% 145 30% 145 27% Carbs 48 10% 97 20% 145 27% Fat 117 58% 110 50% 110 46% Calories 1,825 100% 1,955 100% 2,151 100%

"One cheat meal per week - anything you want, unlimited portion, eat within an hour (to be self limiting).
Consume this cheat meal on a high calorie day, after lifting. "

WEEKLY CARDIO
* 2 sessions of HIIT (could do one on a non-lifting day and one lifting day (upper body), but make sure you have time to eat a couple of well-spaced meals in between if you do this - maybe 5-6 hours.)
* 1 or 2 sessions of 20-30 minute Moderate intensity cardio first thing empty (ideal) OR after training on an upper body training day.
(make sure you leave yourself one day with no exercise)

Last edited by dane : Mon, Apr-04-05 at 05:45.
  #187   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 04:36
muscle bound

Default Day 1 W/O1

I've just finished 7 weeks on the CKD, and I feel it's time to change. In depth reasoning will be added here, when I get back later. For now, I have decided to go with an undulating periodization program, and carb/cal cycling. Funny, I've pooh-poohed cycling in the past, but the more I read about it, the more value I think it has. So, I will try it for the next 14 weeks.

5x5 reps, 311 tempo 90sec rest
Began: 11:40am
A1 Incl DB Press bar+7kg
A2 Seated Cable Row 80lbs

B1 Low Pulley Pullovers 30lbs
B2 DB Arnies bar+5kg

C1 Betw. Bench Dips BW only--first time for these......5 is harrrrrd
C2 Incl DB curls bar+2kg

Looks like this: a1,r,a2,r,a1,r,a2,r,a1,r,a2,a1,r,a2,r,b1,r,b2,r,etc..........

Finished: 12:35pm
For 6 exercises, that's a long time! 'Course, all the 90sec rests add up! But feels good...interesting to see what DOMS is like tomorrow. PWO: 21gPP/16gdexpdr
  #188   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 07:38

Plan: T.K.D.
Stats: 235/183/170 Male 5'9.5" inches
BF:33%/17%/10%
Progress: 80%

I like UP I did a big squat day yesterday so I had a large carb-up as well. 1/4 cup of oats, 1 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup yam, and a big chicken breast.. I was stuffed.

I do a DC split which is a 3-exercise rotation... For legs I do ATF squats, front squats, and hacks... maybe front squats would work for yours? Its how I learned to squat since I didn't have a rack so I kind of like 'em... great quad burn.

ps. check out this new site my friend is putting together... you can find some (awful) pics of me on there with some progress. Cheers Dane!
  #189   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 11:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi. I look forward to following your progress with the new plan. You know I agree whole heartedly on changing up work-outs. Like I've said before-- mine isn't the "Confusion method", it's "Total Confusion." But for reasons all my own-- somedays I feel like doing some certain exercise, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I feel like long sets, sometimes not. I work-out by feel. If an exercise isn't feeling like it's doing much for me that day, I'll stop and do something else. That's another nice thing about not having a training partner. I'd never get away with if I had one. About the avatar-- thanks again by the way. Well, like I said, I had been doing shoulders, so biceps got some pump, and my hands were rotated up, therefore bicep shows. I have been pretty pleased with how my upper body is developing-- don't get me started on legs . They are looking better-- but no where close to good.
I'm doing meat and egg fast this week, so my work-outs will look pretty crappy. No carbs before weight training makes a HUGE difference for me. But I've become obsessed with getting the number down. Next week I'll be back to TKD. And more thankful than ever, I'm sure.
  #190   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 04:00
muscle bound

Yesterday--mod cal/carb:
Projected: Actual:
Cals: 1955 Cals: 1960
Pro: 145 30% Pro: 169 34%
Carb: 97 20% Carb: 95 (9.5g fiber) 19%
Fat: 110 50% Fat: 102 47%
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Today--high cal/carb:
Meal 1: 7-8am coffee w/50g cream n 1c milk
Meal 2: 9:30-10am 2egg/3EW, pat butter, 40g dry oats, 1/2c milk, 30g banana

Beg: 11:10am

4 x 10, 311 tempo, 60"rest

A: (close) step-ups, 2 DB's 1x4.5kg;4x9.5kg

B: Good Mornings, BB+2kg (10kg, 22 lbs) yikes! not paying attention....did 5 sets of 10 for A & B

C1: Leg Extensions 60lbs
C2: Lying Leg Curls 7kg /3x9kg

D1: Standing Calf Raise BB+2kg
D2: Ball crunches reg/oblique(x2)/lower

Fin: 12noon
Meal 3: PWO shake....21gPP/20g dex

Notes: tried a sissy squat..........fuggedaboudit!!!!! talk about *snap/crackle/pop* w/the old knees,
-broke out the mini-tramp and bounced a little during the rests; nice stretch
-added abs.....after 2 c-sections, I think they need 2Xweek, too.
  #191   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 16:51
Circling...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hey Dane!
Thanks for the info on cardio in my gym log. I don't feel worn out from it at this point. Of course after a 12 hour shift it's hard to tell sometimes.
I've been staying between 45-60 minutes and I guess I'll keep it at that. I will have to track my protein more closely.

BTW I love your gym log..... you have so much great information here!

Gypsy
  #192   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 07:17
muscle bound

Default Wed.-Rest Day

Thanks Gypsy! I try to pass on what I find.....that's how I get good ideas, too.

I did 45' fasted LILD cardio on Sunday, as mandated by CKD, before deciding to switch to UP, so today will be the "off" day.
Although this is just code for "vacuum/grocery shopping/weeding/chasing kiddums".

Wed. Food:
Rest Day, Low Cals/Carbs
Projected: Actual:
145gP 32% 120.4gP 25%
48gC 10% 37.3gC 8%
117gF 58% 143.3gF 67%

1825 cal 1926 cal

Menu:
1) 7am coffee w/cream n milk
2) 10am 5 egg (2 yolks)omelette in butter, filled w/sour cream/avocado
3) 1pm 4.5 oz steak, butter, carrots
4) 4pm oz steak
5) big salad w/radish, cukes, celery, cheese, turkey, ham, hm bleu cheese dressing, half oz brown bread

So, I learned that I shouldn't wait until AFTER dinner to do my inputting........I could have adjusted better otherwise.
  #193   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 07:20
muscle bound

Default Thursday- Upper Body

3x15, 311 tempo, 30"rest
Beg:11:40am

A1 Incl DB Press bar+5kg
A2 Seated Cable Row 70lbs

B1 BB Pullover bar only(8kg)
B2 Arnies bar+4kg

C1 Dips BW only--12/8/8
C2 Incl DB Curl 8lb

D1 Swiss Ball Crunch-reg
D2 SBC-reverse

End:12:20pm
PWO shake......28gPP/16gDex

Notes..... dips kicked my ass! Concentrated on doing them right, but 15 was just too much. All other exercises were basically to failure last few reps, so I called the weights right.

Wondering...........about switching out some exercises. Is the point of undulating periodization the rep/set/tempo scheme, or is it the types of exercises, that make this program "special"? If I, say, sub t-bar rows in for one day of seated rows, or flyes in for one day of incl DB press, would that be ok, or am I "modifying" it too much?

Going to go get Dom, swing by the veggie stand (spinach on sale!!), and then come home and do some pre-lunch HIIT on the stationary bike.
  #194   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 07:22
muscle bound

Default Friday-Lower Body/LILD cardio

I spent some time yesterday reading up in Blond's, Pammie's journal, and saw my question answered there. Basically, you can sub exercises, but you have to do it intelligently........ie, check exrx.net or equivalent, and make sure that the subbing exercise is hitting the same target groups. I learned that chest flyes are an isolation exercise, not a compound as the DB press is, for example. I think I'll try to stick with the program as written, but not be afraid to sub out. Good!
5x5, 311, 90" (30" calf work)
Beg: 11:10am
A: BB Squat bar+15kg (50.6lbs)

B: SLDL's w/shrug bar+15kg/20/20/25/25kg (55lbs)

C1: Bulgarian Split Squats bar only (8kg)
C2: Walking Lunges bar only

D: Seated Calf Raise bar+30 +5kg plate on lap (94.6lbs)

End: 12:06pm

Ok, I feel like I've just been initiated into the Secret Club of UP.........read about the hell of the split-squat/lunge combo, but ya just have NO CLUE until you do it! My ass is sore! Already! So what wil tomorrow bring?!?

note on the split squats..... couldn't do them rear leg elevated, or with rear foot upside down....hurt my foot. So I modified just plain split squat......still felt the work!

Will do some walking later, w/ the mutt.
  #195   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 02:22
muscle bound

Default Cardio-Only Day

Cardio day today, sometime. I wussed out yesterday, and didn't do any cardio.......my butt is soooo sore today! Hammies and quads are just-right sore, nothing on the calves. <sigh> NOT that I want to be crippled, mind you, but it's hard to get enough weight for my calves to feel it.

I told A today that we need to go by the iron store and get me a squat rack, and some more big plates. Not sure I can get him to go for the squat rack.....he claims we have no room to put it; I claim it could be a very decorative addition to our living room..........I could hang plants from it when not in use, right?

I really do need some more big plates, though.....I surprised myself with upping my SLDL's so well......cool. But I'm at the limit of my clean-and-press capability for my squats, so it's a good thing that Phase 2 eliminates squats. Gives me more time to wrangle the rack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B
Go a little higher on the fats if your cravings get too strong.

Or have 5 meals instead of six, so you feel fuller.

Or perhaps go for a walk next time you have an accidental carbup - seems to help me when I burn off a little of the excess "fuel".

Awesome help from over at BLC. I am going to rework my eating program as soon as I'm done writing this.......I had cravings again yesterday afternoon, so had an oz of leftover veal (better than cookies, eh?), but it still sucked. I know it's the lunch carbs. I think I will make the first 2 meals pre-wo P+C, stick with the PWO pp/dex shake, then the next few P+F, and maybe add a few carbs to pre-bed meal, if needed. I am also going to rework my numbers....... I think with the added stress of nursing on top of lifting, I need more P, 1g/lb current weight, rather than goal. We'll see.