Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 15:49

Plan: atkins/zone
Stats: 120/115/110
BF:
Progress: 50%
Unhappy Hi~ Pls help me

Hi~ there.
I'm in vancouver at the moment.
Actually I'm not canadian. just studying English here.
Plese understand my poor English.~~~

I tried buy the books( Atkins.zone...etc) but I didn't find in Chaptters. And I bought some LC cookbook.
It's also difficult for me.... (English....mmmm)
I'm Asian..... so western cooking is difficult.. (ingredients....many kinds of cheese...oil..butter...I can not understand....)
And I couldn't find LC food in supermarket... because my poor english... also too many kind of sth...(milk, cheese, dressing, butter, ham...etc)
Anybody help me?????

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm living in downtown...
Plese Pls anybody help me for grocery shopping~~

Last edited by waltz : Thu, Aug-22-02 at 15:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 08:59
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Welcome to Canada.

If you can't find a Chapters...any local public library will have copies. Also...just look for a different bookstore as there would be many, many in Vancouver.

As for lowcarb foods at the store....stay away from all the bread, pasta, rice, flour, sugar, most fruits(actually all fruits until your induction period is over). I'm sure there's plenty more you need to stay away from but you get the idea.

Now...go buy...
veggies(not carrots, potatoes, peas or corn). Try lettuce, brocolli, brussle sprouts, cauliflower, greenbeans........etc
beef, pork, chicken.....etc....you can also have bacon, ham sausage. Just look for sugar counts and buy the one with sugar listed at the end of the list and not near the beginning...best is no sugar but a little will be fine.

Cream, cheese, cream cheese. These are low carb....but don't eat more than 4 ounces of cheese during your 2 week induction.

Eggs, eggs, eggs. Eggs are your friend.
butter, mayonaise(not miriclewhip), olive oil.
Fish...anned or fresh...eat up!!

When I shop I always stay on the outside isles. The only things I go "down the isles" for are canned salmon and tuna, mayo, porkrinds.

Stay away from anything with potatoes, rice or flour.

For the first 2 weeks keep your carb count at 20. After that increase it by 5 carbs per week. This is all explained in the book.
Also...check out the RECIPE section on this board. You can find it in the home page when you first log on. There are many ideas for all meals and occassions. Just reading through thoses will be helpful in learning foods we can have.

I hope this helps. Remember...there are hundreds of bookstores in Vancouver...Chapters is only one of them. Every mall will have a book store and there are plenty not in malls. Just keep looking...you will find it.

Also....butter, oil, pure meats and poultry, fish all have NO carbs,
Veggies do have carbs but only a small amount. Cream, cheese and eggs also contain small amounts of carbs.

cin
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 23:35

Plan: atkins/zone
Stats: 120/115/110
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Thank you~~~~

Thanks again to your reply~~

I finally bought LC books at Chapters(but, diffrent location...)..
and I'm still busy busy reading them....difficult...difficcult....
Also I bought some food...
It was easy to buy natural food(meat, veggi....etc)
BUT... It's too hard to find another things(protein isolate...no sugar syrup...dressing...)
I spent over 2 hour to reading labels....even I could buy 2 or 3 things...
Also I spent all my nighttime to searching imformation on the Web....
It's not diet....It's HARD HARD work...also studying...
Are there anybody have problem like me in vancouver...???
If you so...Pls contact me ....~
We could be friends...
Take care all LCer ~~~

P.S. Is there any local meeting in van???
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 01:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, Waltz.

I am in Victoria, so cannot help you directly... but if I lived in Vancouver, perhaps a visit to a very few stores together would be what I would suggest.

I know there are many very kind people in Vancouver who understand low carb. If you write here what part of Vancouver you are live and study in (West Vancouver? Downtown? North Vancouver? Richmond?) a local person will read it here and then be able to assist you with suggested stores... or even better, a little shopping trip together.

Good luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 13:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 291/281/200
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Shopping

Hello Waltz,

I am relatively new at LC'ing myself but may be able to help you know what to purchase.

I found the easiest thing to do was to keep things simple. Decide what kinds of protein type foods you prefer (ie beef, chicken, fish) and plan on having lots of that. For me, I prefer beef. I find Induction is easy to do if you have plenty of the following foods handy:

* fresh meat, chicken, or fish
* various cheeses
* eggs
* olive oil
* mayonaise
* whipping cream

Then, buy something like pre-packed washed mixed lettuce. Know that you can have 2 cups of this per day (plus one other serving of veggies as metioned in the book) and eat until you are satisfied of the other items mentioned above. Keep doing that until you decide to progress from Induction, at which time you can follow the directions in the book and gradually start adding more carbs..

I suspect that what you were asking perhaps is where to buy those 'other' items... Atkins mixes, bars, milkshake mix etc... That is a good question as we dont have lots of variety and choices for those. However, during Induction, you really dont need those and could stick to the foods mentioned above.

I hope this helps...

James
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 23:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Asian foods

Hi, Waltz. I don't know a lot about Asian cooking, but here are a few ideas to get you started:

- stir fries with meat, chicken, eggs or fish. But NO rice! Any kind of oil is OK. And don't use corn starch to thicken the sauce; it will have to be kind of runny.
- any kind of vegetable is OK, but no corn or potatoes. Green vegetables are best, and Chinese cabbage, bean sprouts, and bok choy are great!
- soy sauce is OK, but stay away from most other Asian sauces, as they usually have sugar in them.
- shiritaki (wild yam) noodles are OK, but don't have more than about 3 oz. per day at first (1/2 small package). Don't use any other kind of noodle.
- if you don't like cheese or milk products, you don't have to eat them. Use meat, fish, eggs, or chicken instead.
- soy milk is OK, but make sure you buy one without added sugar. "So Nice," natural flavour, and "Belsoy" have the lowest carb counts.
- tofu is OK, maybe about 1/2 block per day. But don't buy the sweetened 'dessert' kind!
- once you're out of induction (first two weeks on 20 grams of carbs per day), soy beans in moderation (maybe 1/2 cup per day)are OK.

Hope this helps!
Rachel