Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 11:45
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes yesterday...

For those who are diabetic, when you found out, how did you feel?
I'm angry, sad, depressed, worried, a little guilty and my mind feels like a soup pot of emotions. I had a nurse walk me through blood testing, and I was five a go for south beach diet. Did you feel the same way when you first found out? I feel alone in this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 14:02

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Kassie, I haven't been diagnosed yet, but my sister has. I thought I could maybe forestall that by going low carb, but obviously, you've been committed to this woe and it happened to you anyway. So sorry!!! Maybe if the genes are strong enough that way, it's going to happen anyway...I'm actually a lot more strict than my sister with the carbs and she's keeping her BS at a good level. Diabetes runs very strongly in my family. I know if I get it I'll be very upset because I've tried to eat right, and in the last year and a half found the accurate way to eat right. I think if I got diagnosed now, I'd feel "cheated" because I feel I'm earning not getting it. So maybe I can't fully relate to your feelings but I feel for you. There's truth to the saying "The swift don't always have the race, and the mighty don't always win the battle"-- disappointing for sure. At least you're already taking care of yourself. I know you'll get support here in this forum and more info than I have for you.--Gail
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 14:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

All those feelings are quite normal when you are newly diagnosed. It is a serious life threatening disease which requires big lifestyle changes to manage. It just all seems so overwhelming at first. I promise you it will get easier to deal with and the fear and depression will go away.
Your best friend will be knowledge. You should find and buy (Amazon has them) Dr. Richard Bernstein's book and Gretchen Becker's book. Both these books explain all the ins and outs of diabetes and how to start dealing with it.
It took me 30 minutes to get up enough courage to stick myself the first time. Now, I think I could do it in my sleep. It stops being a big deal and frequent testing is very important. That gives you the feedback you need to know what you can eat and what you can't eat.
Try the following forum - you will get your questions answered there and get lots of support from all the people.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 15:20

Plan: Atkins, Bernstein
Stats: 231/221/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

I know exactly how you feel. I am still angry at myself for letting my weight get out of hand. I was diagnosed just recently also. I will say that I have lost a few pounds, have been exercising, and I do feel better. I don't even get as winded when I walk at a faster pace. I am still working on getting the BS leveled out - seems impossible. Did not get here overnight and it is going to take a while. Did they put you on Metformin or anything else? There is a ton of info out there and not all good. Some places will make you feel like you are already half dead from this dreadful pest. Others, like this one, give you hope that you can do it. Be reassured that it is hard work, but you can do it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: semi
Stats: 144/138/130 Female 65 inches
BF:30%/29%/24%
Progress: 43%

So sorry about your diagnosis. Mine was four yrs ago; but after watching my young neice have breast cancer, I have decided this diabetes is nothing i can't handle. It takes some getting used to; but you can do it. Read up, learn all you can and take good care of yourself. That's the road to beating those complications that come later on. Best of luck.
Cookie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 17:27

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%

Hey Kassie!

First of all I am so sorry for you diagnosis and I did experience all the emotions that you described including denial and anger.
I got the diabetes after a horrific assault on my pancreas (gallstone pancreatis) so I will never be off the meds by losing weight...you do have that chance!
Honest! This disease can be managed very well...yes, it is hard work and often putting yourself first but it is very doable.
I am not minimizing the "potential" dangers of the disease but with some prudent self care they certainly can be lessened ALOT. I know that I am told that I have none of the ailments that go along with diabetes as I do practice very tight control most of the time.
I find doc Berstein book the best when it comes to explaining the disease and what one must do for self care.
The way I handled my negative emotions (after I cried and did my grieving) was to get my hands on every resource I could on controling type 2 diabetes via LC and some supplements as I was first put on the ADA diet and it did not work at all...worked against me!
So, I went to battle with this illness which I am sure you can do with some support. One thing I have found since I have joined this wonderful forum is I am not alone...and neither are you.
So, let the impact of your emotions sink in and then take good care of you. There is a wealth of info on this forum and the help and support is awesome.
I also would like to know if the doc put you on any med...or are they trying diet and exercise first?
Again, I am so sorry you received this news but as a member of this forum you are so far ahead of those who aren't.
Feel free to visit me in my journal if you need a shoulder.
heart felt hugs,
Nancy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 18:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Kassie, welcome to the club that most of us would have rather skipped joining.
Much like the others, I also went through the grieving process when I was diagnosed T2 13 years ago; anger, depression, denial, fear, bargaining...all of it.
Knowledge is your best defense in this fight. Take it upon yourself to learn as much as you can about this disease and how to best control it. Realize that this is a learning process and a big change in your life. Also realize that no two people react exactly the same way to the same food (or medicine) so what spikes me may not spike Dina or Nancy and vice-versa.
You've already gotten some great resources for suggested books. Feel free to ask all the questions you need to...we're all in this together.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 18:17

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I buried the anger and the depression.

I went on the diet from the hospital and I had to visit the clinic once a month. I did lose weight and kept it off for three years, but my Low calories got lower and the depression surfaced.

I quitted everything I ate what I wanted when I wanted and gained every pound back. My BG went bad.

Please don’t bury your feelings talk it out with the forum the pain, the injustice wont go away but it will lessened
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 19:42
Everyday Sane Psycho

Thank you so much for all the info. To be honest I am not in the mood to read much. I'm just making sure to do my blood tests right and timely. I did get a half hour class on it and other diabetes issue, also I read all the material they gave me. I'm alittle overloaded, but I'll come back here frequently. I'll read more and more. Thank you all, I don't feel alone at all and I don't feel so silly. Thank you!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 23:10
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Smile

Hi Kassie:
No matter how much you read, it never will be enough with this Dx. Firstly, don't be too angry with yourself, it's not just being overweight that makes you diabetic, there is also great genetic predisposition to ir, in other words, you had to pick different parents, yet better grandparents . Just embrase it, as complicated as this disorder is, there are other scary things out there. I also want to note, that carbs are not only something to watch for, too much protein, expecially red meat, can be a problem too. Instead of grieving, start acting: test before and after each meal, and eat up to your meter. Based on what are your Bgs now (Hb1C), you can establish where you want your Bgs to be right now. Now everyone can achieve 85 around the clock, but it is good to keep you Bgs <100. Diabetes can be controlled by diet and exercise alone, so don't despare. Good luck with establishing good control.
Chin up,
Dina
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 07:40
Everyday Sane Psycho

I'm very happy with yesterday's results, My blood test was 159 at awakening and at 111 by 5pm and was only 129 at bedtime. So low carb does have an effect!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 01:31

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Sorry to see you join the club, Lessara. I was diagnosed almost exactly two months ago.

I have a cartoon that shows a dragon leaning back against a tree picking his teeth with a lance while pieces of armor are scattered all around him. The caption reads, "Remember, no matter how hard you try or how right you are, sometimes the dragon wins."

Because of the symptoms I was experiencing, I wasn't surprised by the diagnosis. Also, I don't think that I've experienced much in the way of anger, denial, or depression. I think mostly this is due to having adopted a life philosophy which attempts to fully embrace that ancient prayer, "Lord, grant me the courage to change that which I can, the serenity to accept that which I cannot, and the wisdom to tell the difference." I couldn't help but wonder if I had been able to stay true to LC'ing from the time I originally started whether or not I would have been able to avoid this outcome. I don't know the answer to that - and I never will. Perhaps had I not low carbed to the degree I have I would have developed it two years ago. Perhaps if I had been real faithful I would have developed it in another two years anyway. But neither of those matter in the slightest - the fact is that where I am today is the result of actions in the past that - good or bad and whether I had any control over them or not - are in the past and cannot be changed.

No amount of denying or crying or handwringing will change the fact that I am a diabetic, therefore I choose not to waste time on emotions that will get me nowhere because, when all is said and done, I will have changed nothing and I will still have to deal with the fact that I am a diabetic. I didn't use to be so able to take things in stride like this, but my time in the military taught me that I had better learn to tell the difference and, once I had determined that something couldn't be changed, I had better learn how to accept it. It was a lesson that was hard learned but that has paid off handsomely in my life since. I imagine that, at the end of the day, you will find that having to come to grips with this will better prepare you to come to grips with other things that life will inevitably throw your way.

But, what I can change is how I tackle this disease. It is a life threatening disease but, fortunately, one that can be controlled. If I have the courage and determination to control it. All I can do is the best I can do. The same goes for you.

Keep the Faith!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 22:39
Everyday Sane Psycho

Thanks I have been much for positive this week
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 08:45
Blood,Sweat and Pain

Plan: My Own Home Grown
Stats: 231/153/160 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress: 110%

Wanna know how I felt? Check out my "success" ( if you can call it that!) story.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 11:19
Everyday Sane Psycho

Well I just got news from my doctor,
My A1C is 6.6 and he wants me to stay on the South Beach.
He'll retest my sugar in 2-3 months and I don't have to take meds. I'm doing a food journal (Its easy with Fitday) and I'm to test my blood 4 times a day (Before meals and at bedtime). When I start walking more (that is when I can walk 20 minutes 3 times a week) then he wants me to check before and after exercise. So far I can walk 5 minutes 4-5 times a week. I'm increasing this week to 10 minutes. I'm trying to get my daughter to walk with me and so far have been successful