Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 11:41
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Maybe because I have a mild allegy to Wheat but my blood test went from 158 to 211... is that a bad thing or normal after a meal?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 23:38
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessara
Maybe because I have a mild allegy to Wheat but my blood test went from 158 to 211... is that a bad thing or normal after a meal?
Kassie:
Were you at 158 before meal, and then when did you test after a meal: 30 minutes, an hour, 2 hours? BG of 158 before meal look high to me, but again, you just learned about this Dx, so it will take some time to balance out your BGs. I would avoid eating any pasta for now, even Dreamfields, actually, all grains and starches. I am not sure if wheat allergy can impact raise BGs, but it seems like your body can't hadle this product for sure. Dreamfileds does not raise my BGs more than 10 points (2h pp),but many folks can't tolerate it as well. Try to make a do without any grain products until you established good BGs control.
HTH,
Dina
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 14:17

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%

I'm with Dina on this one. I can handle a serving of dreamfields (which I believe is 3/4 of a cup or so cooked) at my supper meal only! As that is the time my body's own insulin is most effective.
But I have a protein, some fat and low glycemic veggie with it. I use it as an occasional side dish only as if I ate it too often...well the damn cravings would kick in.
But I also advise that until you know your BG's are in good control then you can start to experiment a bit. The most important thing now is getting the BG's under control.
Big Hugs,
Nancy
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 14:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I can handle a serving of dreamfields (which I believe is 3/4 of a cup or so cooked)

A serving of Dreamfield's is 1/2 cup cooked which isn't a lot if you measure it (no packing the measuring cup, either ).
I agree with Dina and Nancy on this. Until you get your blood sugars under better control, it would be best to leave all the low carb products alone and stick with whole, unprocessed foods only (meat, veggies, eggs, cheese, etc..).
You need to have a baseline against which you can compare your reactions to new foods so if you start out including them in your menus, you won't have a real idea how they affect you compared to a regular low carb meal.
Any way you look at it, a 50+ point spike after a meal is fairly significant; I know I wouldn't be too pleased with a result like that.
I make dishes using Dreamfields for my family 1-2 times a week; they can't tell it from regular high-carb pasta, but I only eat it myself maybe once every few weeks. Then again, I wasn't a huge fan of pasta before low carb, either.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 17:54
BACK ON TRACK

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 400/264/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have tried Dreamfields several times in various dishes such as baked Penne and spaghetti with clam sauce.....never had any troubles or spikes.....tastes great too.

Eddie
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 21:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 322/272/220 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

I love pasta and was hurting when I was diagnosed with type II. Pasta for me is one of those foods that seems actually worse than candy as far as the sugar readings go. I tried about a half a dozen low carb pastas which all tasted like saw dust to me though none seemed to affect my sugar much at all. When a friend turned me on to the dreamfields, I was shocked and a little suspicious at how good it tasted and I'm not sure I could actually tell the difference between it and regular pasta if I was blindfolded. It doesn't seem to hurt my sugar any more than any other low carb food. My one problem with it is I tend to over-eat since I love it so much. Before I started controlling my diet, I used to get a lot of reflux at night. Although the dreamfield's doesn't affect my sugar too much, if I eat too much at night, it doesn't bring back a little of the reflux problem. I can't blame the food, it's just that I lose my control a little since I know it's not affecting my sugar. Compared to something like low carb bread it's awesome. For me most low carb breads taste like wood and push my sugar up almost as bad as regular white or wheat. If you like pasta I'd give it a try.