Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 17:27

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%

Hey Kassie!

First of all I am so sorry for you diagnosis and I did experience all the emotions that you described including denial and anger.
I got the diabetes after a horrific assault on my pancreas (gallstone pancreatis) so I will never be off the meds by losing weight...you do have that chance!
Honest! This disease can be managed very well...yes, it is hard work and often putting yourself first but it is very doable.
I am not minimizing the "potential" dangers of the disease but with some prudent self care they certainly can be lessened ALOT. I know that I am told that I have none of the ailments that go along with diabetes as I do practice very tight control most of the time.
I find doc Berstein book the best when it comes to explaining the disease and what one must do for self care.
The way I handled my negative emotions (after I cried and did my grieving) was to get my hands on every resource I could on controling type 2 diabetes via LC and some supplements as I was first put on the ADA diet and it did not work at all...worked against me!
So, I went to battle with this illness which I am sure you can do with some support. One thing I have found since I have joined this wonderful forum is I am not alone...and neither are you.
So, let the impact of your emotions sink in and then take good care of you. There is a wealth of info on this forum and the help and support is awesome.
I also would like to know if the doc put you on any med...or are they trying diet and exercise first?
Again, I am so sorry you received this news but as a member of this forum you are so far ahead of those who aren't.
Feel free to visit me in my journal if you need a shoulder.
heart felt hugs,
Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 18:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Kassie, welcome to the club that most of us would have rather skipped joining.
Much like the others, I also went through the grieving process when I was diagnosed T2 13 years ago; anger, depression, denial, fear, bargaining...all of it.
Knowledge is your best defense in this fight. Take it upon yourself to learn as much as you can about this disease and how to best control it. Realize that this is a learning process and a big change in your life. Also realize that no two people react exactly the same way to the same food (or medicine) so what spikes me may not spike Dina or Nancy and vice-versa.
You've already gotten some great resources for suggested books. Feel free to ask all the questions you need to...we're all in this together.