Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 07:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default This is unbelievable!

Well, I am new to LCing and I cannot believe that I have lost 7 pounds so far and I am on Day 14 of induction. I have decided to stay on induction for an additional 2 weeks.

It is truly unbelievable that I could eat bacon, sausage and steak and lose weight this rapidly!! I am satisfied after my meals and hardly ever crave sweets anymore.....I'm so glad my co-worker told me about Atkins! She's been on the program now for 3 months and has lost nearly thirty pounds!

Aija
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 08:11

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Way to Go! I'm on day 13 and am surprised at the things I don't miss. I'm probably going to stay on induction, too. I really don't find it that hard and it IS working. It's unbelieveable that I can be losing pounds and not be hungry.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 08:31

BF:
Thumbs up

Congratulations on your loss, too!

I think I'll try to add some exercise this week too - I've been kind lazy and putting it off but I fear losing all this weight too quickly without toning and ending up with jiggly arms, tummy, etc!

Aija
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 09:00
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Aija....the weight you have just lost is mostly water weight and this rate of loss will not continue, so you probably don't need to worry about "losing too fast". A normal rate of loss, at the high end, is 1-2 pounds a week. Many lose much slower than that. I average about 1/2 lb. per week...and now I'm in a 7 week stall.

Also, you should be aware that there is commonly a mini-stall at week 3-4 where you may not lose any weight at all during that time. It's nothing to be alarmed about and you should just stick to the plan, keep on LCing and things will start moving again.

Good luck!

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Thu, Aug-22-02 at 10:33.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 09:44

BF:
Smile

Thanks for the advice Terri.....I'll keep that in mind if I don't lose anything this week. It must be frustrating to have a 7 week stall - hopefully this breaks soon for you.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 10:32
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Yes, it's a little frustrating but I've learned so much from the people on this board.... the greatest of which is patience. I'm not in a hurry--frustration and stress are counterproductive. Actually, the tweaking part helps you to learn more about your body and has been very helpful in all respects.

Oh, also, I corrected my post above....it should have said "a stall in week 3-4 is common"...not week 2-3.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 13:37

Stats: 155/145/140
BF:???
Progress: 67%

I hear ya! I too was very sceptic when I first started Atkins. How can you eat eggs, bacon, cheese, sausages and meat as much as you want and loose weight. Thanks for the advice Teri, I was starting to get discouraged 'cause the weight was coming off as fast as it was in the beginning...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 14:20
Registered Member

Stats: 265/248/150
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Bacon. . . ahhh!

I have not bought bacon to cook at home in twenty years. I have eaten it infrequently when eating breakfast out and always suffered great pangs of guilt.

Now to be able to have it every day if I want. I did have it every day the first two weeks. I have started skipping a day here or there because I am lazy and want to avoid the clean up. I love bacon and am thrilled to be able to eat it again.

The water weight at the beginning is a phenomenon I wish didn't exist, don't you? I believe it is true but I don't understand how a body loses water weight when I am drinking 100 ounces+ each day. Oh well, it isn't 'just' water weight forever.

HANG IN THERE.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 18:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 160/150/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Smile thanks, Teri

Thanks for your words of wisdom, Teri! Stalls are very depressing mostly because you go nuts trying to figure out what is causing them
For my first 6 weeks of low carbing, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to exactly how many carbs I was consuming. I knew it was quite low.....and I certainly didn't have any bad carbs (that's one thing I'm really proud of.....in the 9 or so weeks I've been doing this, I don't remember "cheating" knowingly even once).
What has upset me is that during this time, while I lost the 13 pounds, I used Splenda, cream cheese, a few low carb treats such as the Steel jam and a very good low carb chocolate chip cookie mix (.65 carbs per cookie)! But as soon as I hit a stall, everyone wants to blame just about everything that I'm eating. I'd like to just think it's my body adjusting and not any of these food items causing the stall!
I am very "in control" with these few low carb treats. I allow myself one cookie a day, possibly a serving of sugar free Jello made with cream cheese, and I do use Splenda in a couple of cups of decaf coffee a day.
I have also started to use Fitday....and I think that's going to help alot.
Anyway, I don't know what your feeling on this is, but it seems like you are saying that "stalls happen" and you just have to ride them out and stay with the program.
I'd love to hear from anyone with any thoughts on stalls!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 13:19
Registered Member

Stats: 165/157/142
BF:39%
Progress: 35%
Default thoughts on stalls

"Don't get discouraged!!!" I say, as a professional at just that! I've started lc diets multiple times and when I hit a plateau or the keto sticks weren't turning-I'd just say "FORGET IT"! Soooo here I go again...this time (hopefully) I will reach my goal without throwing in the towel this time! (By the way, no keto sticks this time!)
Just keep your eye on the great food you can enjoy every day, drink water, walk (or something) and try not to weigh yourself-just watch how your clothes are fitting. Good luck!!! Lynda