Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 15:15

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default and....

What seems like a 100 years ago now...This lady I knew on Atkins use to get the whipping cream...add coco powder...and low carb sweetner...and whip it up!!!! It was pretty good! If you eat too much though, you maybe running for the washroom....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 18:33

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 255/245/210 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Thumbs up Developed Perspective On Fo-Sugars & Our Collective Effort

I will agree that some of us can eat certain things others can not and remain on target in terms of Induction, however I am also certain that many of us can not eat Malitol, A-bars and similair products and stay on point.

When you are starting Atkins it is very tough to weed through the dos and the don't and the risk of disapointment and failure is just to great. Therefore to be CERTAIN, and to actually not fail at yet another diet, I think it is way better to stick to the meat, eggs and veggies. EVERYONE will loose with that combination, the converse to that is not true for EVERYONE.

It is very important that "newbies" get some level of success, for motivational purposes. That is why I think we should all stick to the basics until we know what we can and can not put into our individual bodys.

Have a great week end!

Cheers
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 19:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/235/165 Female 5'5"
BF:49%
Progress: 0%

Logan, What did you eat for your first six days. I also never go into ketosis fully. I did lose 27 pounds last time I did Atkins but it took almost 4 months.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 22:38

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Fat fast

Check out the Fat Fast for about 4 or 5 days....It kicks you into gear, if you have problems with Ketosis....It sounds like you dont eat much, but you dont get hungry because of what your eating.... You will lose between 2 and 8 pounds....
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 21:00

Stats: 224/218/150 Female 5' 5"
BF:32%/31%/25%
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanee
If you're anything like me, the sight of that little itty-bitty piece of candy next to my 8-months-pregnant-looking gut will be enough to make you drop the candy down an elevator shaft and eat a hard-boiled egg instead.

Wow...so funny but so true.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 23:24

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofeaddict
I also never go into ketosis fully. I did lose 27 pounds last time I did Atkins but it took almost 4 months.

With being in ketosis, it's one of those black and white issues. You either are or aren't.

BTW That's AWESOME progress! I could dream for such success....

Julie
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 05:16

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleA
I took microbiology this last semester. If you look at the ingredients, under carbs, something like manitol is still a sugar, but it's not you're traditional C6H12O6, so the teacher said it can be called sugar free, but it's still a sugar.

I'd try to determine that the hidden carbs way (calories minus 9 times grams of fat minus four times the sugar, divide answer by 4 to get hidden carbs)

Though still a sugar, mannitol causes less of a rise in blood sugar than sucrose or glucose. It still causes a rise though, which means the release of insulin & consequent fat storage. Anyone know HOW much of an effect it has?
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 05:45

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Glycemic index of alcohol sugars

I searched the internet on this, for I've eaten "sugar-free" candy almost daily for more than a month, and completely stalled. Glycemic index/calories of each listed below. It looks like we should stay away from malitol and polyglycitol, though the others may be OK in moderation.

glucose 100, 100
sucrose 65, 43
erythritol 0, 2
xylitol 13, 11
sorbitol 9, 11
mannitol 0, 0
malitol 35, 27
isomalt 9, 6
lactitol 6, 4
polyglycitol 39, 23

(source: Livesey, G. Nutrition Research Reviews, December 2003, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 163-191(29) )

OK, and this from the ADA: "An American Dietetic Association publication recommends that persons with diabetes managing their blood sugars using the carbohydrate counting method “count half of the grams of sugar alcohol as carbohydrates since half of the sugar alcohol on average is digested"."
(Source: http://www.ific.org/publications/fa...aralcoholfs.cfm)