Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 09:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/208/180 Female 5ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default High Cholesterol results Help

I had my cholesterol checked last week and it's not good. My cholesterol was 5.92, LDL 4.17, HDL 0.88, Chol/HDL ratio 6.73, triglycerides 1.92, my doctor says my cholesterol because of diabetes should be 2.5. How am I ever going to do this. She wants me to take Niacin time released and work up to 2000 mg per day, I've been told by the pharmacist that time released niacin can cause liver problems. So I started on lecithin, 2400 mg and chromium 400 mcg as that's also supposed to help cholesterol. I'm not sure what to do. I've been struggling so much with weight loss, I lose 4 lbs go up 2 lbs for the last few weeks I'm getting really discouraged. I've lost 20 lbs since June 4 but the last few weeks things have been real slow. I stay right around 20 grms of carbs per day and my calories range from 1800 to 2200 per day. I feel like I've lost a lot but the scale and measuring tape don't support it as much as I feel it should be showing. My clothes are getting looser and I can walk for 2 hours without being uncomfortable, I guess the progress is there but I want to see the numbers.

Also, in my tests, I had protein spilling into my urine which the doctor says could cause kidney failure down the road, anyone got info on what to do about this. Could this be diet related?

Please send me some layman's information and encouragement, I've been so rigid on this woe but now I'm getting worried about all this health stuff my doctor's telling me. Thanks all I couldn't do this without you guys!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 10:15

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there.....

I can certainly understand you concerns. One question: Did you have any of these tests before you started LCing so that you could compare and see if you have actually gone down since then or not? It's possible that it was even worse before you started.

I know that for me....before LC, I was in the "high-normal" range with all of my numbers and after 3 months of LCing, upon re-testing the numbers had dropped down to the "low-normal" range.

If you do a search on the forum for "Cholesterol", I know that you will come up with a lot of threads where it's been discussed before. Hopefully you'll find the answers you need.

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 10:57

BF:

Hi, I didn't have my tests done before so I don't have anything to compare to. I guess I'll have to wait a while and see where I'm at later.

How long has it taken you to lose all your weight and did you find that every week your weight jumped up and down a couple of pounds? When I was on a low fat, high fibre diet I don't recall having the weight fluctuate this much, and I lost 47 pounds in 8 months on that.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:44

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

I posted this link for another female member concerned about cholesterol levels, take a look.

Here is a quote from an article by Sally Faldon and Mary G Enig Phd.
Men who have cholesterol levels over 350 mg/dl are at slightly greater risk for heart disease. For women, there is no greater risk for heart disease, even at levels as high as 1000 mg/dl. In fact, mortality is higher for women with low cholesterol than for women with high cholesterol .
The full article is here.
http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/hd.html
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 08:50
Registered Member

Stats: 183/182/140 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 2%

Debbie, Niacin in large doses will lower cholesterol, but when I took it in large doses I was nauseated much of the time. I'm now on a statin which has really done the trick for me with no side effects, although I know some folks don't like them. However, I have only been LCing a few weeks (and it's slow going for me too!) and I am anxious to see how my cholesterol values have been affected. I'm told I need to wait a few more weeks to have it checked. As for protein in your urine, if it is really from your urine (rather than from other sorts of protein in the female vaginal tract which might "wash" into the urine stream) then you should follow your doctor's advice and be a little concerned. The methods to do routine urinalysis can't tell where the protein is from, just that it is there. If your doctor suspects that you might have kidney problems, he will do other, more specific testing than just a urinalysis.
Good luck!
Brenta
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 09:07

BF:

Thanks Brenta, I opted out of the Niacin anyways and started taking chromium and lecithin. I'll wait and see if that makes a difference. As far as the protein goes, she asked me if TOM had been a factor so I don't think she's really concerned too much. I'll wait and see what happens later down the road. I feel good so I'm not worried about anything right now.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 13:49

Plan: low carb Bernstein & ?
Stats: 210/177/145
BF:
Progress: 51%
Smile

dabrahamse,
there are so many things you are doing well,, walking and all
I also find it a web of information and my own denial and discouragement,
I stoped time release Niacin for the same reason, but on to other supplements,,
hang in love janet
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 14:34

BF:

Hi Janet, what supplements did you decide to go on for cholesterol? I find lately, it's been an effort to go and walk as much as I was, guess I'm having one of those feeling fat times. My clothes are still the same and so is the scale so I know I'm not gaining, just one of those blah times, I guess. I wonder if we will ever feel like we're thin and good looking??? I hear that overweight people, even after they lose a ton of weight still feel they are fat. I don't know, guess time will tell. I do also have days that I feel positively great and think I look good too so....who knows, being human is very strange sometimes. lol. Going away for the long weekend to visit friends and play canasta all weekend. Looking forward to that, she needs to lose weight also so I told her I was bringing Dr. A. with me, that will help with the food I eat this weekend also. There is a method to my madness. Talk to you later
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 16:44

Plan: low carb Bernstein & ?
Stats: 210/177/145
BF:
Progress: 51%
Wink

Debbie,
I will share what I take almost daily,,, seems like a lot,,, I did lots of research on most of it... I am Diabetic type 2,,with some damage to my nerves, and have been shared to death about it.
my new puppy helps me walk more,,,she enjoys it
but some days don,t want to move
this list I am not sure anything is helpful for my chlosteral , except maybe the Omega Oils
Supplements 7/2002

Empty Stomach
• Levoxyl 0.075 mg +150 mg of GLA(3-Evening Primrose oil 500mg)+100mg alpha-lipoic acid (aLA)

WITH BREAKFAST

• Natural B Complex (every other day)(1 thiamin mononitrate 50mg,2 riboflavin 125mg,3 niacinamide 50mg,6 pyridoxine,folic 50mcg, 12 cyanocobalamin 125mcg,biotin 25mcg,pantothenic acid 50mg,
• Folic Acid 400mg
• Glucosamine Chondroitin 500mg/400mg
• GTF Chromium polynicotinate 200mcg
• Aspirin 325 mg
• Silymarin (Milk Thistle Extract )150mg
BEFORE LUNCH
• 150mg GLA + 500mg vitamin C +500mg N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)
WITH LUNCH
• Vitamin E 800mg (Mixed Tocopherols)
• Selenium 200mg
• Bita Carotene 45 mg
• Co Q 10 150mg
• Magnesium Asporotate 400mg
• L-Lysine 500mg
• Vanadyl sufate 5000mcg
WITH DINNER
• Potassium 50 mg, Zinc 50mg, Magnesium Asporotate 400mg
• Calcium (chewable) 1000mg,vit D 400 I.U., K 40mcg
NIGHTTIME
• 5-HTP 50mg
SOME TIME IN DAY
Omega oil in form as ground flex seeds, salmon or etc
SOME TIMES IF I FEEL LIKE IT I TAKE
Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng , Garlic
enjoy the time with your friends, love janet
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 17:44

BF:

Holy smokes, you take a lot of stuff. I don't even know what some of that is. I take potassium, lecithin, chromium, vitamin c and calcium. That's it for me. I find that a lot. I feel like I'm swallowing a pill factory every morning.
Nice that you got a puppy. I love animals but we can't have any in our bldg. Have a nice weekend.
Debbie
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 09:50

Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsalty
Here is a quote from an article by Sally Faldon and Mary G Enig Phd.
Men who have cholesterol levels over 350 mg/dl are at slightly greater risk for heart disease. For women, there is no greater risk for heart disease, even at levels as high as 1000 mg/dl. In fact, mortality is higher for women with low cholesterol than for women with high cholesterol .
The full article is here.
http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/hd.html

Thanks! Great article! Enig and Fallon are heroic. As is Ravnskov.

Sheldon