Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 13:54

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 181/169/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default New to CKD

I have never heard of the CKD plan before. Have a few questions.

I feel awful when I eat too much sugar but can't seem to stay on the low carb thing for long stretches. I started reading and brushing up on the LC WOE a few months ago. I have lost a few pounds but have put it back on as I fell off the wagon! Vacation at the beach can put an end to some of the best intentions!

Here is the question/s.

What book are you getting information from on the way to eat and all of your food proportions? I have a hard time piecing it all together through different postings. I have read Atkins, Carbohydrate Addicts and Schwarzbien Principle, so I am pretty familiar with the LC thing. It is the Carb -up I am sketchy on.

I am NOT an avid exercise person! It takes a LOT to get me going. Planned work-out schedule: M, W, Friday - Morning Cardio 60 minutes. T, Th - Morning Weight workout with 30 minutes cardio. Is this sufficient when following the CKD plan?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 174/170.4/165
BF:Not measured
Progress: 40%

I have never bought a low-carb book. Everything i know about low-carbing i sort of pieced together from various websites and forums. I am planning on getting the book written by Lyle McDonald i think its called The Cyclic Ketogenic Diet.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 12:45

BF:

Gee, how could I take offense to that?!?!?!

I guess in a way I feel I am doomed too. However, I was up this morning cardio for 35 minutes and weights afterwards so just maybe I will make it this time!

Thanks for the lift. I may do it now just because of the jab!

I may not get up easy but I get ticked easy, and usually do the righ thing in the process!

So, Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 13:57

Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by fat4ever
Thanks for the lift. I may do it now just because of the jab!

Hey, it worked for me! Back in 1998 I was doing CKD, being sloppy as hell about it, yet was inspired enough to post my lame results on the lowcarb exercise list. Finally someone busted out, called me all sorts of names, and threw in a few bits of advice that could be summarized as "Get a grip". Of course I fired back like a real Westsider should, but the very next week I got my act together and started doing it for real (and stopped posting lame results). I hadn't even realized how many corners I'd been cutting, but once I fixed them, I never looked back at what I was doing before. I never wrote to that person again, but in retrospect that jab did me most service.

Motivating people has got to be a tough job. In those days Lyle himself used to post on that list, and I wrote him asking for his advice on whether to become a personal trainer. He responded with something like "If you're willing to spend all your energy to motivate the unmotivated." I decided not to.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
I am planning on getting the book written by Lyle McDonald i think its called The Cyclic Ketogenic Diet.

-It's called 'The Ketogenic Diet'.

Quote:
I was up this morning cardio for 35 minutes and weights afterwards so just maybe I will make it this time!

-*Correction*: Lift weights first then do cardio... (sorry, brain fog).

Last edited by Zeus : Tue, Aug-20-02 at 18:28.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 18:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus

-Do cardio first... THEN lift weights.

I recall there was a discussion on this ordering of weights/cardio and Lyle chipped in this: if you're lifting hard and liver is still full of glycogen (e.g., Monday), it will unload it into the bloodstream to maintain blood glucose as it's consumed by the muscles. It won't stop immediately when you stop the workout, so this may lead to somewhat elevated blood glucose levels. His idea was that to lower it, it may not be a bad idea to do some low-key cardio for a short while to burn it off (e.g., 15 minutes on the bike or so).

I don't know how much difference this makes, probably not very much, but just wanted to add to the discussion.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 09:42

BF:
Default Zeus TKD

Zeus, I understand from my readings you do a TKD as opposed to a CKD. Is this more beneficial for the overweight out of shape type as opposed to the CKD? I would love to be ripped but it would be difficult right now with all of this baby blubber hanging around!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 11:12
Registered Member

Quote:
Zeus, I understand from my readings you do a TKD as opposed to a CKD. Is this more beneficial for the overweight out of shape type as opposed to the CKD? I would love to be ripped but it would be difficult right now with all of this baby blubber hanging around!

-I ditched the 'TKD'. My reason being is that the amount of fat loss (say over a period of 12 weeks) will be very similar between the two approaches. Knowing this, I'm not going to deprive myself of weekly carb-loads; and instead- consuming miniscule amounts of crappy oatmeal or Sweet Tarts before I workout.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 15:39

Same here. Carbs are a real treat on the weekend, plus I find that stretching the keto period to 5 days can make a difference between going in circles and losing fat.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 15:57

BF:

Ok, so here is my next question. I have a child and husband and work full time. So...my workout time is reserved for the mornings. The cardio isn't hard to get in. Going by the workout listed by TrainerDan, he has the cardio and weight workouts broken out to AM and PM. Could you do both in the AM or am I just asking for a really crappy workout by trying?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 17:08
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, so here is my next question. I have a child and husband and work full time. So...my workout time is reserved for the mornings. The cardio isn't hard to get in. Going by the workout listed by TrainerDan, he has the cardio and weight workouts broken out to AM and PM. Could you do both in the AM or am I just asking for a really crappy workout by trying?

-You can lift weights and do cardio following the workout. Just be aware of the fact that doing weights/cardio in the morning... SUCKS ASS (especially on a keto diet)!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 19:36

Mornings are a good time to work out anyway. Try this: lowcarb through Friday night, then do weights without cardio on Saturday morning and start carbing thereafter. Weights prepare your muscles to take in the carbs better than cardio, unless you're doing intervals.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 21:23
Registered Member

Quote:
Try this: lowcarb through Friday night, then do weights without cardio on Saturday morning and start carbing thereafter. Weights prepare your muscles to take in the carbs better than cardio, unless you're doing intervals.

-Isn't that the purpose of the depletion workout...?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 08:23

That's exactly what I meant - the better the depletion, the less spillover may occur, the more successful the CKD.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 10:45
Registered Member

On the topic of the depletion workout- has anyone ever tried utilizing a more heavy/tension full body workout prior to the carb load (rather than doing light weight/circuit training)? Supposedly, doing a full body workout that is made up of heavy weight and low reps... might give an individual a better chance to expect/experience anabolism (muscle growth) from the carb load.