Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: general LC
Stats: 169/148/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:**eh**
Progress: 62%
Arrow sugar free chocolate?

I ordered a variety of sugar free chocolate bars last night. I have been on induction for a couple of weeks and I am wondering what you guys think of this sugar free stuff. I will limit it to a fraction of what I used to eat but I had to have a little relief. I have a major sweet tooth. Just a bite with help me stick to this. My questions are : Is it ok to eat that stuff and does it taste fairly good in general?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 21:17

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

why dont you buy baker's chocolate at your grocery store and melt it and then mix SPlenda in it and then bake it?

It's like 90% cheaper, its real chocolate and much much lower carbs than the suger free stuff
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 05:06
Registered Member

great idea, thank you. I will try it.
I am still very new to this.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 05:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Some brands don't taste as good as others, and also try to limit the amount you eat. The chocolate bars seem to stall some and not others.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 06:41

Stats: 195/195/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sorbee..

Hi there, I, too am just past 2week induction and have/had a HUGE sweet tooth. I've tried the Sorbee sugar-free chocolate. It tastes like cheap chocolate with a little hint of plastic, it's a bit grainy but nonetheless it does taste like chocolate. It's okay if your not picky about your chocolate. However, I had no idea that you could buy sugar-free bakers chocolate and add splenda. I'm going to have to try that. This is exciting...I'm just thinking you could add whipping cream and fluff it up to a mousse.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 08:19

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I am a confirmed chocoholic, so I was determined to find a way to buy or make sugar free chocolate. I started with the Carbolite bars, which are pretty good, but I thought I could do better.

So I melted baker's unsweetened chocolate and added sweetener (sucralose); it was good, but my DH thought the chocolate was still kind of bitter, no matter how sweet I made it.

Then I tried adding butter, then cream, but then the chocolate wouldn't harden. So I added paraffin, which helped, but the flavor still wasn't right.

Then someone in this forum suggested adding cocoa butter, which turned out to be the missing ingredient.

So then of course I needed better chocolate, and bought an 11 pound block of unsweetened Callebaut Belgian chocolate, which made a BIG difference. And then of course I just had to have chocolate molds so they would look like candy bars!

Anyway, I melt together 1/2 ounce chocolate, 1/2 ounce paraffin, and 1 ounce cocoa butter, add the sucralose and usually vanilla extract or peppermint extract or other flavoring and maybe nuts. I pour this into the molds and put them in the freezer for a few minutes. The resulting candy bars are SOOOO good!

The chocolate still melts in your hands a bit, but I'm going to take a class on working with chocolate, so hopefully there's an answer to that problem. But if there isn't, I'm still deleriously happy with these the way they are!

And for those who think LC is an expensive WOE, I figured out that a one-ounce candy bar (Carbolite bars are an ounce and a half, I think) costs a grand total of 23 cents to make, as opposed to around $2 for the Carbolite bars, depending on where you buy them. Not bad for Belgian chocolates!

And even better news is that each one ounce bar has exactly 2 grams of carbs, period, no questions about whether or how to count the carbs in maltitol or other sugar alcohols.

Do I sound obsessed?

HTH,

Karla
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 09:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"I'm going to take a class on working with chocolate..."

>>"Do I sound obsessed?"

YES.

I never crave chocolate anymore - and I used to be a chocoholic. But I just might have to try this recipe for the heck of it. I'll assume you can buy cocoa butter and food-grade parrafin at health food stores? I don't know if I've ever seen them. (Though I've never looked for them!) Thanks for the recipe!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 12:32
Registered Member

I received my "Ross chocolates" and they are quite good. Expensive yes.

I am going to try to make my own, Thanks for the instructions.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 183/176/135 Female 5 FT, 4 IN.
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Chocolate Candy

I can't take credit for this recipe - I found it in another thread on this forum (posted by MarshaS) but this is very good and very easy to make....

Yummiest Chocolate Candy

4 tbsp butter
2 oz unsweetened chocolate (the bar kind)
2 tbsp cream
18 packets equal
2 oz crushed nuts ( I use macadamias and walnuts)
Melt butter and chocolate in microwave or on low heat on stove
Stir in cream
Add vanilla flavoring
Stir in equal or splenda
Add nuts (crushed)
Drop by teaspoon onto foil or wax paper, or you could pour and cut to divide into servings.

Give it a try - I make a batch and have one treat each night after dinner. yum.......
karen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb avoid sugar
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Carla - I do have one question for you...

How much sucralose do you normally use in the above recipe?

I can't wait to try this - yum yum.

Kellser
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 20:23

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Kristine,

I bought the paraffin at the grocery store, and I ordered the cocoa butter from Botanistry, www.botanistry.com, which is in Florida. They sell supplies for making soap, skin care products, etc. to spas, but they have very good food grade cocoa butter at the best price I found. But I would check the health food stores.

Karen,

Those chocolate treats sound great and I think I'll have to try them too; can't have too many ways to make low carb treats!

Kellser,

I make 6 chocolate bars at once because that's how many spaces there are in the mold, so to 3 ounces cocoa butter, 1.5 ounce chocolate, and 1.5 ounce paraffin I add 1/4 tsp of sucralose, which equals the sweetness of just under a cup of sugar (3/8 tsp equals a cup).

One note: the sucralose does not dissolve well in the chocolate, so I stir it into the vanilla or other flavoring before adding that to the melted chocolate mixture.

Karla
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 15:58
Registered Member

Stats: 265/248/150
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Check the recipe sections on this LC forum

I am still doing induction but there are some chocolate peanut butter cups and brownie homemade protein bars in my future: the recipes sound great and I think they are each rated five stars.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 01:26

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

And anyone who is using the Carbolite or Ross bars should beware as they contain Maltitol which is one of the most powereful laxatives we know of! The serving size is about 1/4 of a bar. If you eat the whole thing, prepare to spend some hours RIGHT BESIDE the bathroom.