Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 22:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default George Forman type grilling

Just bought a hamilton beach grill (george forman type) and I wonder if anyone has any tips for cooking and receipe ideas? I start my low carbing tomorrow - help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default The grill

Hi. Since Atkins WOE (way of eating) or WOL (way of life) is a high fat diet, you might find that many people on this LC forum do not use a Forman type grill. It is, after all, called the 'lean, mean, fat-fighting machine!

If you read around many areas on this LC forum, you will find that most people have found success by eating 10X your body weight in calories, with 60 -65% fat calories. Lots and lots of folks have reported that low calories do not result in good weight loss results on Atkins.

I use the grill sometimes because sometimes, darnit, I feel like a piece of grilled meat. When I eat a steak, it is grilled. I also grill bacon because it does bacon so well: lots of fat drains off but bacon still has plenty of fat.

If you are seriously starting LC tomorrow, do what I did. I got up in the morning and cleaned my house out of everything not allowed on the diet. Everything. Pasta, muffin mixes, sugar, flour, virtually all prepared and/or canned food. No temptation is in my home so even when I want to eat something I didn't plan for the day, the only choices available to me are low carb choices.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 15:13

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

We use our grill for everything. Steaks, chops, ribs, burgers. We did find that if you want juicy burgers, buy the fattier ground beef. So much of the fat comes off that they can get really dry, really fast.

The grill is so easy to use but I don't care for cleaning the machine, so if anyone has tips... let me know.

Shelley
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 15:32

BF:
Default cleaning out the kitchen

I still have carbs everywhere in my kitchen! I dont even know where to start! It seems that everything has to go! My roomate and I said that we would finish off what groceries we have and then go shopping for the diet. Guess my start date will be next week! I hate to waste food!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default cleaning thought

I am thinking of trying a Pam-like spray on my grill. They even sell one specifically designed for grills: the can claims that the grime slides right off.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 06:25

Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

We bought one, despite it's "low fat" reputation, and we use it every day. I eat a lot of fat anyway, so I'm not too worried about the little bit that comes off and lands in the tray.

We eat a lot of chicken caesar salads, and I do the bacon and chicken in it. By the time I've done the lettuce and dressing, the meat's almost done.

We like to BBQ, but I hate going out in the rain to cook dinner (we live in England - what can you do?), but this little grill helps out when we don't want to get wet.

I keep a roll of paper towel on the counter next to it - by the time we've finished dinner, it's still warm, but not "hot" and it makes it easier to clean as things aren't stuck on. We just use the paper towel to clean it up, and then when it's not greasy anymore, we give it a wipe with a damp soapy cloth. It only takes about 30 seconds, so it's not a big deal.

Favourites:

Chicken breasts - with cajun spice and hot sauce
Burgers - just lift up the lid a few minutes before you are ready to eat and put your cheese on
Bacon - on and with everything... (I love how it cooks on the grill)

Have fun!

Dawn
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 07:21

BF:
Default Hamilton Beach Grill

I have cooked steaks and some bacon on my grill - seemed like the bacon was taking too long so I put it in the microwave instead. I noticed that when you lift the top the grease spills on the counter behind the grill (unless you barely open the lid which doesn't work for flipping the meat).

Anyways, the steaks were bland - any ideas for flavorful steak and pork chops?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:17

Plan: Mostly atkins
Stats: 198/165/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:don't know
Progress: 57%

We buy the frozen, boneless chicken and with 5 kids I am always preparing meals at the last min. I used to boil the frozen chicken which cooks it up fast, for chicken over salad.
But, my dh just got me one of those grills and I defrosted in the microwave and within 6 min the chicken was done and had a nice flavor!
I was thinking of trying a ham slice with cheese.
I really like how fast it cooks!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:34

Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

The only time I end up with grease on the counter is when I forget to put the drip tray in front... I've never had it in the back, though.

To fight blandness:

We use Emeril's "Essence" (we found the recipe on the web a few years ago) - just sprinkle it on and it's great. A few sprinkles of hot sauce works nicely too.

Because I often cook bacon before I do my chicken, I don't really clean the grill off and the bacon flavour comes off on the chicken (this is when I make chicken caesar's and I'm cooking both meats for the same meal).

We've also tried sundried tomato paste (it comes in a tube in the UK, under the brand name "Gia" - I think it's about 0.8 carbs per 100 g), spread on the chicken, and then cheese melted on top. If you add a little splenda and a dash of vinegar, it tastes like BBQ sauce. If I ever get around to figuring out exactly what proportions I'm using, I'll post it under recipes.

You can make chicken wraps as well - pound the chicken out and spread on a mixture of cream cheese and spices or herbs. Roll it up and grill.

I'm drooling now - I'm off to make dinner...

D
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 11:29

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 21:42
Registered Member

Stats: 222/212/140
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default grilling

I use my grill for alot of bulk cooking. I have been eating chicken breasts and hamburgers cooked on the grill since I have started low carbing and I still am lossing. I must get enough fat.

I find I will do 20-30 burgers at a time and put some in the fridge and freeze the rest. I just take out as a snack or a meal. Same goes for Chicken.

I find I do this on the mornings and afternoons I am at home cleaning or whatever.

Oh yeah I preheat my grill for 5 min then just before I throw the meat on I spray it with pam. When it cools I just rinse the bigger chunks off in the sink then throw it in my dishwasher. Pretty easy heh!?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 16:00
Registered Member

Stats: 310/226/175
BF:
Progress: 62%

I love my George Forman I have the small one and the large one I wore the meduim one out... Bacon is great tasting on it .... and you can't beat chicken breast ......
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 10:23

Stats: 286/253/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

i have a george foreman and i really love how fast it is!

I buy the big bags of "Individually frozen" chicken breasts, so when i need some chicken for a salad, i just take one out... frozen solid, and slap it right on the grill... it's done in about 7-10 minutes. I do this alot in the morning when i am putting my lunch together.

CLEANING TIP: I think i have the second to largest GF Grill, and i find it helps to pour some water on the grill when it is still hot and let in run off into the drip tray. (careful not to overflow) I usually do this a couple times and then a good wipe down with a paper towel gets the rest off.

My grill can be a pain to clean if the meat is basted in any sauce (haven't tried that since i started LC-ing tho) I am a big fan of onion and garlic powder/salt, those are always good for adding a little flavor... and lots of black pepper.

Never tried bacon in the grill... maybe i will give that a shot this weekend.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 10:59
Registered Member

Stats: 310/226/175
BF:
Progress: 62%

I grilled peppers on my George this week and put a little bacon drippings on them boy were they ever good on top of sausage.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 08:36

Stats: 286/253/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

I grilled some bacon on my GF grill this am, and it was delicious!!

It makes for nice clean grease too, it just drips right off into the tray - no straining, and no little burnt flecks of bacon!
I saved it to fry some eggs in this week.