Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 17:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/208/190
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question bfl "off" day and low carb

I have had success with body for life in the past and am intrigued by the what I've read and heard about the low carb lifestyle. Some of the results I have seen in friends/colleagues are amazing! I have just completed my 2 week induction and intend to continue induction for at least another 2 weeks.

One of the reasons that I believe that bfl works well is the "off" day, that is one day a week you can do whatever you like, i.e. don't work out, eat whatever you like. For me it worked on two levels; 1) Whenever I was tempted to go off the reservation, I could always postpone it to my off day, and 2) On those occasions on my off day when I really did significantly alter my intake w/either fatty foods or large portions, it became abundantly clear just WHY I didn't eat that way anymore (i got that bloated, bowling ball in the stomach feeling). Even when I didn't take full advantage of the off day, the fact that I could if I wanted, I believe, helped me stay with it.

Can this work for the low carb lifestyle? I got the impression during my reading about induction that any misstep required re-setting the clock for induction. I understand the importance of induction and that it is very important to be diligent while you're in it. My question is after induction: Will having an off day once a week, similar to bfl, significantly my ability to realize my goal weight?

In case it is relevant to your answer, I am continuing the bfl workout.

Your comments are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 19:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there BFL Welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question directly, but I am sure we have some members who endulge in a true 'free day' - or have on occasion. Generally, for those of us who did BFL and used LC nutrution free day was a day of unscheduled and uncounted eating - and not a day of high carbs. I found it liberating to not have to eat 6 times a day and to be able to say 'protein be damned'. I actually ate less on my Free days.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 09:39

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Hi there,

I can answer some of your question.

I was following Atkins when I started my first BFL challenge. I found I had to increase my carbs because I was feeling very washed out and tired in the afternoons. With the increase in carbs, I felt much better. The foods I added were one slice of lowcarb toast per day (8g carbs) and fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples & cantelaupe). I went from eating induction amounts of carbs and being in ketosis (20g or less carbs a day) to anywhere from 40 - 100g carbs a day depending on what I chose to eat that day. Then I stopped keeping track of my carb count.

I did take the free day every week and I really enjoyed that freedom to eat as I wanted or do what I wanted and that really helped me stay on track with the program. For the most part my free day was a regular low carb day but if I wanted to have two slices of lowcarb toast, I did, or dessert, I did, or eat pizza, I did, but I didn't make it a pig-out,-stuff-my-face-'til-I-puke sort of day. I often had a chocolate bar on my free day.

Sometimes, I suffered with that bloated feeling and retained water after a free day. It usually hit me two days after free day.

During this summer I am not doing a challenge and I am not strictly lowcarbing but I AM maintaining. I gave myself permission to do this.

However, I am currently preparing for my 3rd BFL challenge and I think I am going to start by going back on induction for 2 weeks (before I begin) and then slowly increase carbs during the challenge so that I don't suffer from tiredness. This will mean going back to carb counting and being very strict about my diet (no bread at all, cutting out fruit and absolutely no sugar). After a summer of maintaining and indulging a little here and there I want to get back into the losing mode and reach my goal by the new year, if I am able. I am aiming for loss of inches (on my stomach, hips and thighs) and 20% body fat rather than a scale # as I don't know what Scale # I need to reach to achieve my goal.

Good luck to you on your challenge!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 11:27

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default Free days

I took all my free days. I ate everything and anything I wanted. I got sick feeling EVERY single time. I would keep telling myself "don't do it anymore!!!" but I did. I think my results would have been much better had I not overdone it.
I wish you the best of luck!
Peace,
Bren