Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 15:41

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Talking Hi everyone! Newbie here!

Hi all!
Been doing Atkins for a week now, felling good except for a nasty cold coming on (thanks to my daughter!).

Have a strong family history of diabetes....all kinds of aunts over the years have been diagnosed, more recently my brother and sister were both diagnosed. They're both older than me and also have poor eating habits. Then I found out my niece, who's 10 years younger than me was also just diagnosed! My blood sugars have always been well within the "normal" range....but I figured I was well on my way to joining them.

And then, I got the shock of my life the other day. After following a low-fat, high protein diet for 3 months (body for Life), I'd lost 18 pounds and craved "goodies" constantly! I'd already decided to give Atkins a try, after reading up on carb addiction, when my doc called and informed me that my cholesterol, etc had gone up to the point where she wanted to put me on medication!

I convinced the doc to give me a few months and retest, since I've heard that those drugs can have some nasty side effects. Now I'm more determined than ever to stick with this and finally lose the weight I've been carrying aound for so many years!

I've doing weights and cardio on alternating days, and following the induction diet to the letter. I've stopped caffeine altogether and drink 2-3 quarts of water per day.

Any advice, recomendations are welcome! I need all the help I can get!

Hope to chat with some of you soon!

CindySue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 12:41

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Welcome

Hi CindySue and welcome to this forum. You certainly have come to the right place for advice and support.

Well done on the 18 pounds you have already lost. I hope that the change to Atkins will lead to even better results. It certainly will help improve your cholesterol levels, I am sure. How is induction going? Have you lost more weight so far.

It sounds as if you are doing great on the exercise front. That is good.

I suggest you drop in and read a number of peoples journals, It will give you an insight as to how they cope. Why not leave a message for them?

You might also like to start a journal of your own. See sticky at the top of the page. Not only will it keep you motivated it will be a record of your progress and be a place for others to meet and greet you.

Every success for the future.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 14:41

Default Hi Little Ann

weight day is tomorrow....I know I've lost at least a few pounds, a new pair of pants fit again!
I'm a bit nervous about checking my weight....I know I've lost....and I'm trying not to expect too much...but.....
Induction isn't bad.....I'm mainly having salads, which I love, but need a push to get them made.
I do intend to check out the journals....I spent a lot of time on fitday today after reading about it in here.
It's amazing how much info there is out there!
Thanks for the welcome.
Cinsysue
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 13:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179/174.5/140
BF:26%
Progress: 12%

CindySue-
Congrats on starting! And congratulations on trying to lower your cholesterol without the use of drugs!! there is definately a time and place for them, but all too often drugs are given without offering any other solutions. Drugs do have nasty side effects, if you take a drug for one thing , the next thing you know - yuo will be on another drug to combat one of the side effects of the first..it is never-ending!

good luck!

suzanne
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 18:17

Plan: Somercize
Stats: 265/240/150
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Newbie Here

Hi, i am a 30 year old psychiatric social worker from Austin, TX currently living with my husband and dog in Fort Worth, TX. i have been Somercizing since mid April 2002, but did not detox off caffeine until the first week of May i was at 50% decaf and by the end of the week i gave up caffeine all together. i have lost 25# so far but have been stalled for approx 1 month despite walking 5 days a week and doing water calesthenics in my pool. i have decreased my carbs to the basics. i eat berries and salads and meat and protein only in an attempt to pass my plateau. i am trying to drink 64 oz minimum of water a day during the week i am pretty good but when at home i drink closer to 50 oz i'd bet on average. any tips would be helpful.
I am on line a lot but usually responding to messages vs surfing. feel free to send to my private email if you have suggestions.
Thanks,
Beth
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 08:49

Smile Whoo Hoo!

End of week 2 on induction....lost 2 more pounds for a total of 9! BMI down, Chest/Waist/Hip down 1/2"/2"/1.5"

Unbelievable!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/248/150
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Sympathy for our stall

In the greater scheme of things, stalls just don't quite seem fair, do they?

It looks like you are overcoming.

good for you.