Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 10:54

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/240/195
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Atkin's Bars

Alright, I've read through the site and I hear many different things. Can you eat the Atkin's Bars? I need some sort of bar for breakfast or as a snack. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 19:29
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I don't recommend them at all, but especially not during induction. But you can try them ... not everyone has a problem with them (but a lot do). Browse through the low-carb kitchen sub-forum and look for some alternatives you can grab-n-go. I sometimes have 2-3 cheese sticks if I don't have time for anything else...sometimes I'll roll a piece of salami or ham around it. If you absolutely can't manage without the bars, try to limit them to no more than 2 a week.

That's my $0.02.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 06:32

BF:
Default Cinnamon Bun Atkins Bars

Tried the above mentioned bars. Man, those thing taste like crap. Trying to locate other varieties. My local Wally World (Wal-Mart) only carried that kind.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 10:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/135
BF:

I bought a box of atkins peanut butter bars and to me they taste like dogfood! YUCK!! I've only ate 2 out of the box. What a waste, I should have tasted them before I bought a whole box! Oh well, you live and learn. Anyone want them?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 11:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/218.5/185
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hey,

the adkins bars are great. I get boxes at k-mart....very few carbs....they are a bit waxy but good
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 13:43

BF:
Question Good Atkin's Bars

Garmo, which one's did you try? I was just speaking of the Cinnamon Roll Bars. I will try some other ones later. Which would you recommend?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 00:40

Plan: Atkin's Diet (modified)
Stats: 327/295/220 Male 5'10"
BF:47%/41%/32%
Progress: 30%

I actually like the Atkin's bars! The only thing I question about them is there carb content. The one I have says 14gm - 2gm fiber, but it also says to only count 2 grams for your daily intake. Shouldn't it be 12?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 19:14

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
[snip]try to limit them to no more than 2 a week.

That's my $0.02.

That should be easy, they are awful!!! And not just the Atkins bars...I have tried just about every darned one of 'em and none of them are any good at all. I finally gave up and when I need something sweet, I go get a little bit of some really good chocolate!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251.5/232.5/130
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Carb Bars

I've tried alot of carb bars as well, and the majority have tasted terrible. However, I just recently tried a bar called Nitro-Tech in S'mores Sensation, and it tasted like a Wunder bar. I was very impressed.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 11:19

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I dunno exactly what a "Wunder Bar" might be, but you make it sound yummy! I'll go looking for this "Nitro-Tech" bar and give it a try.

It sounds as if it could just blast off the pounds!

Have you tried any other flavours of them yet? Please tell us what you think!

How many carbs does one bar have?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 11:24

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48

Depends on the bars you try.

I order several of the variety packs. Most are delish!!! YUM YUM. Hard to limit myself.

Yes, the peanut butter ones with soy taste crappy. The newer bars tastes terrific!

I also make my own bars starting with the basic fudge recipe made with cream cheese and cocoa, then add walnuts, unsweetened coconut or other low carbs goodies.

Be creative and experiment!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 21:08

Plan: Atkin's Diet (modified)
Stats: 327/295/220 Male 5'10"
BF:47%/41%/32%

I am just Happy Atkins has something out like the above mentioned bars. At least we should be able to trust him. Not to long ago there was a investigation conducted by a news team like 20/20 or 60 min, but can't remeber which one Any ways it was showing that alot of the LOW CARB (bars-meals-shakes) were not supplying the actual nutritional value of the food.

So, I will stick to an Atkins bar once a week because when you go on a strict induction diet for (5 wks) or so; they taste pretty *** good.

[ Administrator edit ... please don't use profanity in your posts as this is a violation of the user agreement. Doreen. ]
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 21:47

Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default I like...

I really like to have Edge Shakes. You can get those at Wally World too. The chocolate fudge is my favorite and when I want a milkshake I put it in the blender with about 5 ice cubes and it froths up real nice and totally hits the spot! BYE BYE Dairy Queen!

As for the bars, I have some Atkins Lemon flavor and it's not that yummy, but I imagine bearable. I'll just keep one in my purse so if I'm out and about and get hungry I'll have something LC to fall back on. They might be hard to chew but it's better than blowing it.

Carianne

Side note, I found some of those LC tortillas and I've also tried some of the Atkins LC pancake mix (which my 2 year old son loves!) and I thought both were tasty but I hit a plateau after I tried those two things and I have cut it back out and will try again later to see which is the culprit.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 09:14

Stats: 251.5/232.5/130
BF:
Progress: 16%
Smile Nitro-Tech Bar

I believe the Nitro-Tech Bar has 4 carbs. I've only tried the S'more Sensation, but there are many bars avaliable in different carb counts. "Wunder Bar" is just a regular chocolate bar. It is a mix of chocolate and peanut butter. Too bad it has tonnes of carbs though.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 16:08

Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default LC treats at Wallys...

Wow, I just went to Walmart today and they had a new display of Edge bars in different flavors. A gal there told me she liked the cookies and cream so I bought a box and it's pretty yummy. It sure would go nice with a glass of milk! HA! (not for us though!) They also had the Pure Delite chocolote bars there, mmm, at only $1.49.

Just thought I'd pass it on.
Carianne