Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/199/130
BF:
Progress: 55%
Thumbs down O'so Lo Muffins-BLECH

I saw these at the Health Food store and bought a four pack for $5.99, and they taste good until you swallow them. Aftertaste just sucks. They're so promising, only 2-3 carbs a piece, very nice size, but neither myself nor my hubby can take the aftertaste. They do have a website, www.osolo.com in the event you would like to try them, because they are available and we're always looking for some of our old carb laden favorites, like muffins.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 14:53

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Wink

Gee, after an endorsement like that, who could resist?

Just kidding, people do like different things. If I see the word "soy" in a recipe or product, I runt he other way.

Karla
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 17:48
Registered Member

BF:
Default Well, you never know

Even though we thought they were icky, someone else might want to try them and may even have a different view on them. I just checked the label, yup soy flour and soy protein, but that's not what leaves the aftertaste, though I don't like soy much either. Hubby thought it was the Splenda, but I use that all the time, so it has to be something else...

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else had partaken in their joys
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 08:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Lisa...

I agree. I tried a pack, ate one and threw the rest away. They didn't even taste good going down for me. I think I'll stick with the Atkins muffin mixes; they're not as big, but they sure taste better to me.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 08:07
Registered Member

BF:
Default Ate One, gave the others away

We've had two get togethers (myself and two other ladies from the LC board) and both times I was able to offload stuff I bought but didn't like. You know, one man's junk is another man's treasure. Hate being wasteful, so if they take them home and throw them out, it is, in some twisted way, not as wasteful in my mind. Yesteday I gave away some Carbolite bars (prefer the Ross Dark Chocolate), 2 muffins and 2 Robbins Nest Bakery cake rolls. I got some FlaxOMeal cereal yesterday. Haven't tried it yet, but it was an inspiration to try the Carb Sense cinnamon spice cereal, which was remarkably good and has kept me feeling filled up. I added some more splenda, some butter and some cream to it so I'm sure I doubled or tripled the calorie count!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 12:55

Stats: 278/198/150 Female 68
BF:
Default OsoLo Muffins

My local health food store carries these frozen and I decided to try them. Only 2.6g carbs and no flour or sugar. YUM!!!!!!! I got the vanilla flavor and only have 1/2 muffin at a time and no more than 1/2 per day (only 1.3 grams carbs) - I sometimes have it with my eggs in the morning. They have a website www.osolo.com if you can't get the products locally. The muffins come in several different flavors - I jusy bought banana today and will try it out later in the week and post about it. BTW the cost is $5.99 for 4 reasonably sized muffins, but at 1/2 per sitting not too bad. All low carb food is so expensive - this didn't seem any worse.

I haven't done this but their website suggests spenda whipped cream and strawberries on the vanilla muffins as a shortcake - I'll bet that's great. I'm not eating fruit yet sos someone else will have to try it
Catmom
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 08:59
Run Spot, run!

Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Default so, how did the banana taste?

my local health food store (that is run by the most sallow skinned vegan) has started carrying more LC foods, among them the osolo muffins. I picked up 3 flavors - along with a package of "rollz". I hope I don't regret the rather hefty investment!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 13:20
Run Spot, run!

Post o'solo rollz review

I was excited that my health food store started carrying o'solo bakery products. I picked up a package of sourdough rollz (their spelling, not mine) and various flavors of muffins.

Here's my review.

The rollz are oily when you remove the overwrap. If you've baked up a batch of Atkins muffins this won't be a surprise. They are about 4-5 inch diameter, resembling an unsliced hamburger roll. They are a brownish color and look very "grainy". The aroma is very similar to flaxomeal. They were $2.49 (US) for a package of 4.

Frankly, I didn't care for them. I think this has something to do with my love/hate relationship with flaxomeal cereal (I love the first bites when I prepare it as a hot cereal, but eventually the twiggy taste gets to me). These rollz had the "twiggy" taste from the get-go. If you are a diehard fan of flaxomeal, I think you will really like these. They would be perfect for burgers or any other LC sandwich fixings.

One thing to consider, the company offers a $$ back guarantee if you aren't satisfied; I intend to get my $$ back! You can check out the company website at www.osolo.com.

Ingredients: water, gluten, flaxseed, canola oil, veg fiber, inulin, yeast, vinegar [2%or less of the following: sodium stearoyl lactylate, sodium di-acetate, potassium sorbate, l-cysteine, ascorbic acid)

Nutrition facts
calories 170
fat: 9g (sat fat 1.5g)
Cholesterol:0
Sodium 180mg
Total Carb 10g
Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugars 0
Protein 12g

(the package says only 3g of carbs that affect blood sugar/insulin levels.)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 08:49
Run Spot, run!

Wink Three out of three "Lisas" agree...

Osolo muffins get a from me too. Funny, I thought the aftertaste wasn't too awful (just too sweet) and I thought if I didn't have to put them under my nose to get them into my mouth they might not be bad. However, I tried the blueberry and guess what... there's not a blueberry in them! So what makes them blueberry? Weird Science??? Also, based on the packaging I'm sure these gems are loaded with hidden carbs.

The bad news, I also have banana and chocolate ones taking up valuable freezer space. If I get brave, I'll review the other flavors.

I, too will stick with Atkins when I need muffins (assuming of course that I'm willing to pack on 4lbs. to do it - boy, do the frankenfoods mess me up!) Also, see my rollz review... another product to return for the company's $$ back guarantee!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 18:31

BF:

I have tried some of theother flavors and I believe vanilla is the best. I didn't like the chocolate one bit and the Apple Spice and Banana have an artificial flavor to them, but they were okay substitutes for the real thing.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 18:35

BF:

I agree, these were pretty mediocre. But for those times when you just want a normal burger it is okay when overwhelmed by a big burger and some keto ketchup. The keto ketchup is wonderful.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 01:57
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 307/168/155
BF:
Progress: 91%

I guess I'm just attracted by the low carb of them, both myself and my co-worker tried them when they came in to the store where I work and she and I both liked them alot. Yeah a bit of taste adjustment perhaps, but by the time I get the condiments on them and the cheese and a beefy burger, I'm pretty happy with them. Also carry one to Micky D's next time, toss they're bun and hey its fast food without paying the price. Not perfect, but worth it for the carbs they cost. I found the 'orginal' were much better than the 'sourdough' which didn't taste like sourdough at all to my tastes. Oh yeah, they're fairly cheap at 2.49 for 4 at least as far as low carb products go... Matter of taste I suppose, we also have they're muffins but I havn't tried those, just not a muffin guy all that much these days thankfully...

Kindest Regards,

LoneInAz
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 15:28
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:

I've tried the original and the sourdough. I like the sourdough best. They don't really taste like sourdough, but I thought that they tasted less soyish than the original.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 20:13

Stats: 396/340/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default O’so Lo Rollz

O’so Lo Rollz

Today I had my first burger on a “real” bun in 8 months, and it was wonderful!

I got a package of O’so Lo original rolls, and they are a great substitute for a hamburger bun. Even my non-low carber loved it. I also tried the pumpernickel, and although the flavor isn’t very strong, it was still very good.

These are going to become a regular part of my summer BBQ season! I highly recommend these for burgers!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 20:40
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Thumbs up

I agree. I think that the O’so Lo rolls are great when used as hamburger buns.