Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:28

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default Your goal weight

Hi everyone! As I near a healthy weight, I find myself wondering about my goal. Those of you who have read DANDR know that he challenges the reader to go "all the way" with their weight loss and not compromise. I fully intend to do just that, hopefully before Christmas! But I'm not sure what my goal will be (the 145 I have posted was determined by doing the PP calculations and I think it's a bit high for me).

Just wondering how most of you determined your goal weight...did you just think back to high school or college and choose that one, or did you use BMI indices or other weight charts?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Joanie, I've always based mine on body fat %. I picked an 'average' BF of 20.5 but I'm really aiming for 18 or so .. just cause I can, you know ?

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:35
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I used both....my memory and a BF calculation. When I was in college I was comfortable at 130-135. At 38 years of age I was almost comfortable at 150. Being 44 years old now, I don't really have any delusions about seeing 130 again....and my LBM plus 20% puts me at about 140. So I'll be ecstatic at 140-145!! I really just plan to let my body decide and not worry about The Number too much.

Congratulations to you on such a wonderful success. You're a fantastic inspiration to us!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:40

Thanks you guys for your quick responses! (and thanks for the lovely compliment, Teri!)

Nat, how are you calculating your body fat?! I'd like to keep track of mine, but I don't think PP's way is real accurate -- are you having it done, or are you using weight calipers? I agree it's a good way to determine where we should be. My BF is still too high, that much I know!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Joanie, I'm using this one right now - it's the most 'depressing' of the 4 or 5 I have bookmarked. It gives me something to shoot for.

Healthcenral has one as well. As does biofitness. Your best bet is to pick one or two and stick with them - the trend is what matters most.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/234/150 Female Five Feet
BF:40%
Progress: 7%
Default My goal weight

When I set my goal weight, I considered several factors. I could have shot for the weight I was when I was in high school, but I had to be realistic with the fact that I have had 2 kids. So, I basically chose a medium range. I'm not far now. I have faith that I can do it.
Have a good day, Belle
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 10:52

Nat, just for fun last night I tried the three sites you mentioned...and got very very different results! Granted, when I measure, I'm not sure if I'm exactly accurate, but even so, one site (the mean one that you use) said something like 31%, one said 27.5%, and one said 22%! (yeah, right...) I guessed on my weight because I'm not officially weighing in until Friday, but still, the results surprised me. Because I'm reasonably muscular, I'd guess that the 28% is probably closest. Interestingly, all of the sites said I should weigh about the same as PP -- 145 to 150. We'll see how I feel when I get there. It's still a good 15-20 pounds.

Belle, I took a peek at your profile (I'm nothing if not nosey) and we have something in common -- Trading Spaces! Love that show -- it's addictive!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/-
BF:
Progress: 23%

I chose my goal-weight based on my BMI (http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/), the bodyfat calculator (I use the one at Healthcentral that Natrushka linked in an earlier post) and based on what I weighed in high school. I'm 31 years old now, no kids (and not planning on having any), pretty healthy and nothing stopping me from trying a new WOE or exercise program.

BMI isn't as accurate because it doesn't account for muscle weight... but when I used both calculators, I found that 135 was a good median weight for my age, height, build & general health!

PS - I'd settle for 140, lol - but no more than that!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 12:54

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

My goal is calculated for 25% BF at my current LBM. I to get a wide range of BF% readings depending on the method - anywhere from 40 to 22. The high and low end are both "Yeah. right!" kinds of things. I think 32 is close enough for government work, as the saying goes. I'm using the Linear Software calculator inthe "LC and BFL" sticky thread. I also get a caliper test done every few months to compare, but I like to be able to adjust my stats when I change my measurements, so I use the Linear software one more frequently.

I have an unlisted mini-goal to be under 30% BF, as that would make me officially no longer 'obese', and after I hit 25%, I'll be heading lower - 20-22 or so.

Cheers,

Friday
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 197/188/155
BF:22 %
Progress: 21%

several years ago at 172 pounds. i was sitting in my docs office and proud of the 8 pounds i sweated off since i had my baby.
weary of the struggle i asked what i should shoot for. she took my question very seriously and after a consult with a nutritionist, the number of 160 pounds was arrived at.
not bad,
but from personal experience i know a little less than that say 157 would give my nearly six-foot tall frame a comfortable package. so naturally i got greedy and decided to pare off a couple more. besides 155 is a nice squared off sort of number and achieving it will make me downright slender.

vendala