Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 05:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/156/125
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Anyone taking Atkins Accel?

I heard atkins has a new supplement that helps control appetite.
It's called "Accel." I would love to hear from someone taking this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 05:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/156/150
BF:
Progress: 81%

No, I haven't heard of Accel. Do you think you need help with appetite control? This is the only diet I have ever been on where I don't feel hungry all the time or think constantly about what I am going to eat for the next meal. I am surprise that Atkins felt the need for such a product, since the diet is so filling. Looking forward to see what others have to say who take it. I know everybody is different.

Karin
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 07:44
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I can't comment intelligently on whether or not this product would work, but was curious about its contents. I thought I'd post this info here (from the Atkins website ) in case someone else had an educated opinion.

Quote:
Product Info
Atkins Accel is a revolutionary Ephedra free thermogenic formula designed to nutritionally support those cutting back on carbohydrates for weight loss and better health. Containing ingredients that have been clinically shown to enhance fat burning and help control appetite, Atkins Accel is the perfect aid for those just starting Atkins, as well as those who are stuck at a weight loss plateau. Trust Atkins for the best supplements to support controlled carb nutrition.

Contains no hydrogenated oils, digestible plastics, wax, yeast, corn, wheat, salt, sugar, starch, gluten, artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or fillers of any kind.

Instructions:
Directions: Take one capsule one hour before each meal with at least an eight-ounce glass of water, three times daily.

Chromium (as polynicotinate) 100 MCG 83%
Niacin 15 mg 75%
Green Tea Leaf Extract 350 mg *%

#4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:29

Stats: 278/198/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with Karen - this is the first diet I have ever been on where I am not hungry or obsessing about when I can have a treat. Dr Atkins says if you are hungry you should eat food approved on the program. For me that is a little chicken salad.

A warning though. . . I tried those no-carb candy bars, overindulged, and, while I didn't have the gastric distress others have reported, it nearly took me out of ketosis (from deep purple to barely pink) and I found my cravings for sweets returning.

I have now sworn off sugar and flour for good. It isn't worth having cravings rule your life. Give me a nice juicy steak instead - LOL!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 14:13
Starting Over!

Quote:
I tried those no-carb candy bars, overindulged, and, while I didn't have the gastric distress others have reported, it nearly took me out of ketosis (from deep purple to barely pink) and I found my cravings for sweets returning.

Sorry...just gotta jump in here. I just want to mention that it makes no difference whether your ketostix are pink or purple.... you're still in ketosis. Actually, a dark or purple reading means you're probably not drinking enough water, which is why the ketones are more concentrated in your urine, giving a higher reading.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 05:33
Registered Member

BF:

hey teri,
I am glad you pointed that out about the ketosis. As long as you are in ketosis you should still be losing weight right? My ketostix are mostly mid-pink range. I eat a low carb bar once a day and I am still in ketosis daily. I should still be losing weight right? From what I understand from Dr. Atkins book as long as you are in ketosis you should be losing. Thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 05:43
Starting Over!

Being in ketosis means your burning fat for your fuel...that is a GOOD thing! It doesn't necessarily mean you're constantly in a losing mode...because there's always going to be fluctuations on the scale. So dont get freaked if your weight loss slows down or even stops for a week, or two, or three. That's normal. Just stick to the plan, eat your veggies and drink that water!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 05:48
Registered Member

BF:

thanks terri,
would you happen to have any suggestions for drinking all that water. i have a hard time getting it all down. Never been a water lover.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 06:08

Stats: 181/156/150
BF:
Progress: 81%

Catmom, I think I am having the same problem. Or it may be all in my head . This week I introduced bread (Tom's low carb, only 1 carb), crisp bread (0 carb) and for something sweet I bought chocolate frozen desert that has 3 carbs per 1/2 cup. I have had these items since Sunday. Yesterday I ate like a pig and all day long. I still managed to eat in my carb range but I just couldn't stop snacking. It was awful and so unusual for me since I started Atkins. Now I am thinking not to eat these products and sticking with the basics, salads, meat, cheese, vegies, etc. I've not eaten those no-carb bars or the shakes. I guess I like food instead of those items and I can see where it would give me trouble.

So, I am with you Catmom, give me steak !!

Karin

Quote:
Originally posted by Catmom
I agree with Karen - this is the first diet I have ever been on where I am not hungry or obsessing about when I can have a treat. Dr Atkins says if you are hungry you should eat food approved on the program. For me that is a little chicken salad.

A warning though. . . I tried those no-carb candy bars, overindulged, and, while I didn't have the gastric distress others have reported, it nearly took me out of ketosis (from deep purple to barely pink) and I found my cravings for sweets returning.

I have now sworn off sugar and flour for good. It isn't worth having cravings rule your life. Give me a nice juicy steak instead - LOL!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 07:50
Starting Over!

Kitty - Do you have a desk job? I always have a full glass of water on my desk at all times, whether I'm thirsty or not....if I do that, i find I drink twice as much than if I just get some when I'm thirsty. It's the first thing I do when I get to the office....fill that glass!!

Also, I keep a full water bottle in my car....always. I can easily down an extra 12+ oz a day just when driving around.

Drinking it through a straw and drinking room-temp also helps people to drink more.

Keep a full glass or bottle by your bed at night, too. When the alarm sounds, I turn it off and down at least 4 oz. before I even get out of bed. When I get up during the night to use the restroom, I usually drink a few oz. before going back to sleep.

All those oz. here and oz. there add up to about 100/day for me. I used to NEVER NEVER drink water before LCing. It becomes habit after a while.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 09:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 269/256/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

speaking about the Keto sticks,

I am in the deepest purple and I know I drink more than enough water....I'm so full from all the water I drink that it is hard to even want to put in any food! But I have noticed that since I started drinking those Atkins' shakes my wieght has not moved either, even though my sticks still stay purple???

And yes I know not to put too much into it, It's just sort of confusing to me though???
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 13:08

BF:

Karin
LOL! It's keeping it all under control that's so hard. Just wanted you to know that I tried OSoLo Muffins - 1/2 per sitting and no more than 1 sitting per day. The vanilla muffins are 2.6 grams and that's only 1.3 I have at a time. I sometimes have them with my eggs. I find if I have that as my only non meat, fish, poultry or dairy item it doesn't trigger anything, satisfies me and is really yummy - plus I keep on losing with them. I don't know if it would work for you but the good news is the muffins are frozen making it harder to overindulge if you feel so inclined.

I've sworn off the candy but I'm keeping my muffins!
Catmom
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 18:41
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Catmom,
Where can I find those tasty muffins? I have been eating a Atkins advantage bar per day and I don't think I've stalled. I'm losing 1-2 pounds per week. That's ok right?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 18:53

BF:

1-2 pounds is good I think.

My local health food store sells those muffins but if you go to the website www.osolo.com you can find out local stores that sell their products. From what I can see they don't sell direct from their website.

Good luck - I hope you find them near you. There are lots of places in CT to get them. They sure are a heck of a lot better than the Atkins bars
Catmom
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 18:57
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks catmom,
I will check their website. You live in CT? How wonderful. I grew up in Middletown, Ct. and now live in Texas. Big change. I will always love New England. Thanks again. Kitty