Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 01:28
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Is induction necessary?

I am working on Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. I have to say it makes a lot of sense. I was wondering if it's necessary to go through the induction period if I am just trying to shed less than 5 lbs? Or can I jump into pre-maintance? Basically I just want to be on an LC with basic guidelines and know when to say when when it comes to carbs. Thanks ahead of time for any input. And continue sucess to those following this woe.

alex
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 01:30
Registered Member

BF:
Default uh because

Alex again.

I just want to make sure I don't lose to much weight.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 02:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Smile

G'day Alex,

Yes, if I were you (don't I wish I had <5lbs to lose ), I would definitely go straight intp pre-maintenance.
You are showing great common sense by not wanting to lose too much.
As long as you eschew the "white garbage," white flour, sugar etc, you'll do fine.

Cheers,

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 02:44
Registered Member

BF:

I always say consistancy is the key. Know where your going and you will get there. Thanks for the reply rose. I will start off in the pre-maintenance. This WOE is exciting, almost like I awoke my taste buds. New Revolution this week, Protein Power next. Time to convert the masses, well at least the ones that run into me and inquire. Continued sucess and keep up the good work.

Alex
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 07:03
Pending Member

Plan: na
Stats: 190/170/210
BF:
Progress: -100%

Hi Alex.

My opinion is very different from most on this board- but I'd stay away from Atkins if I were you. 5 pounds? Are you lifting weights? If not, you should be. You may want to take a look at the Body for Life program. It's NOT a carb basher, but it does teach you the science of eating the right carbs.

Heck, if you are performing an intense weight training workout 3-4 days a week, you may find yourself needing MORE food, AND carbohydrates. The important thing is that you choose the correct carbs. A good rule of thumb on carbs (although not 100%) is that if man made it, don't eat it. Stick with natural, unrefined, and unprocessed carbs.

If you aren't lifting, you should be. Gaining muscle causes your metabolism to fly, which in turns burn fat. You will lose the fat and do so in the healthiest, time proven way known to man. You'll also look a lot better with the muscle your building.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 269/256/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

I agree with Inigo on this one....

With only 5lbs to loose and keep off....a LC WOL is the right choice but Atkins' may not be the best suited for you. Just a modified LC and some exercise should do it for you...but you will know whats best for you....good luck to you no matter what you choose!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 11:49

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: Is induction necessary?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexoc949
Basically I just want to be on an LC with basic guidelines and know when to say when when it comes to carbs.

Hi there Alex......

I'd like to suggest that you take a look at the plan comparison in the quick links at the side of the page: "Which low-carb plan is right for me?"

I think Protein Power might be one that you should take a look at and certainly, the book is packed with interesting and useful information.

Marlaine
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 16:58
Registered Member

BF:

Wow, those were some good responses.
Inigo
I do workout with weights and do cardio 5 days a week. In a decent my nice size gym I am always working out the hardest. Nothing short of performance. I have a low bf% but my problem is I over eat often and feel like crap. I don't so much put on fat, (though I feel a little smoother) when I gain weight it tends to come in the form of muscle but I'm trying to stay away from being to much of a monster whether it is all muscle or not. I do get hungry, but I figure with a LC diet I can curve the appetite and not eat like a mad man while being lean and muscular. Maybe by not eating whatever is in my way like a savage beast I can also cut back on my workout times. I have to say carbs after and/or a little after the workout I am hesitant to give up. Your right on the money with weights being best for fat burning. Only a poor diet will continue to set you back. By poor, I am refering to eating to much. I'm wondering, Is BFL a beginners program and have you tried it? What do you think?
I also have to say, everyone who replied made sense. Protein Power does sound more of a better fit for me, thats why I'm moving on to it next. Atkins is very informative though, and I'm liking the science of it all.
Once I hit my desireable weight and hit a maintenace program, I'm going to be able to preserve muscle, right?

Thanks again, it's becoming clearer on the daily.

alex
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 17:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Hi Alex,

I would strongly suggest that you go to the exercise forums and ask Trainerdan (our resident exercise guru - this guy has a wealth of knowledge) some questions about nutrition and weights etc. Trainerdan really knows his stuff!

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 00:11

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Alex......

Do your research and ask your questions. Only you can decide what is best for you. Sounds to me like you have your head on straight. Good luck finding the plan that fits. I think you have a lot in common with many of us here that lift weights and have done BFL. We want less fat, not necessarily bigger muscles.

Marlaine