Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/165/155 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Sickly or skinny?

Now that I've lost around 14 pounds (down from 195) I'm starting to get comments from my wife and others that I'm looking "sickly"

I look in the mirror and I just don't see it. I wonder if it may be that they are just used to seeing me in a heavier state and their natural reaction is to think I'm sick (since people don't routinely lose weight out in the 'real world' )

Any of you guys/gals get these sort of comments?

Guess I'd better search for 'losing too much weight' and see if its possible.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 12:53

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

I have to admit that before I got married I used to dat have to e people that were a little bit heavier than I for self esteem issues.... But before I got married I was maintained a weight of 125-135 and thought I was FAT! Gosh I was stupid.

So if they tired to lose weight I would say things like, No you don't need to you look fine, or You will look to skinny if you lose weight. And being a Pasty chef it is easy for me to keep people happy

I even had my husband gain weight & when he tries to lose, I tell him he doesn't need to.(He didn't gain a lot, just like 10#'s) I know it is horrible!

I really don't think I am the only one in this world that has issues like these.... Low self esteem

I think there can be jealous lovers & then there can be people that get jealous when you want to improve on yourself. You are lucky if you are one of the people that don't get jealous at all.
I am not saying that that is what is happening to you, I am just telling you my experience.

I don't think you are losing too much weight
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 13:59

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%

The last time I lost weight, friends, co-workers and family told me the same thing. I believe it was because they were used to seeing me 70 pounds heavier and it was somewhat of a shock. Even when I was only half way, they started suspecting I was doing something drastic to lose the weight. Strangers never thought I looked "too thin" or "sickly" because they didn't know the former me.
Keep doing what you're doing. Lowcarbing will bring you to a healthy weight. People that are underweight often "gain" weight on lowcarb because it will take you to the healthiest weight for YOU.

Last edited by Misty : Sun, Aug-11-02 at 16:01.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 15:20

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Especially at the beginning with Induction, the loss is big and can be startling. For those who see you every day, the sudden change may be worrying. But now it will slow down and they'll get used to it.

But in general, people who lose that much on LC look better than people who lose it on low fat/low cal. You don't have nearly the "loose skin" look because all the water and fat keeps your cells 'plump' & glowing.

The posts above mention the 'jealous' reaction that many people get and it may be partially true here. People who haven't yet got themselves together to lose weight often resent and try to sabotage those who have - perhpas unconsciously.

Keep up the good work.

#5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 17:27
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
You don't have nearly the "loose skin" look because all the water and fat keeps your cells 'plump' & glowing.

Thats one cool thing so far... My skin seems as tight or tighter than before...

Of course, I've only lost 14 pounds.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 06:03

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You asked if it's possible to lose too much weight. Of course it is! Just think of all those people suffering from Anorexia.

But at your height and weight you are not too thin! You are not even in a danger zone. I agree with the others that our family is just used to seeing us at our "normal" weight, that any difference looks like alot to them. I can even change my hairstyle and people ask if I've lost weight.

Kee doing what you are doing. You will be much healthier for it. The weight loss is just a happy extra! People will get used to the new you soon.

Carol
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:12

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%

I've found that when people say stuff like "Aren't you just about at your goal?" and I'm not, I can ask them what they think I weigh. Invariably, they guess about 10-15 pounds less than I actually am. So of course, they think I'm close to goal! Like most people, I am very good at covering up what I don't want people to see (like my upper arms -- no tank tops yet!) and playing up what looks good, and I think this is why people think I'm a bit skinnier than I truly am. If they saw me buck nekked in the morning, they would probably say, "You're right -- you aren't there yet!"

Also, since everyone has seen me overweight, they have a hard time seeing me at a low, perfect weight. My skinny sister would feel enormous at 135. Me, I can't wait to get there -- and I know people will give me a hard time about losing too much weight!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 09:59
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrsy
[B]You asked if it's possible to lose too much weight. Of course it is! Just think of all those people suffering from Anorexia.

I guess I should have been more specific. What I meant was "while eating plenty of calories and maintaining good nutrition, but consuming a reduced amount of carbohydrates, will the body naturally stop burning fat when there is little to burn?" Most folks will be adjusting their intake when they get close to their goal but if you are happy with what you are eating must you increase your carbs to keep from losing too much.

Quote:
But at your height and weight you are not too thin! You are not even in a danger zone.

Well ... heh... yeah, I know. LOL
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 10:06
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Chris! Congrats on your success so far. I think as long as you *feel* good, you're probably fine. As long as your nutrition is good, and you're not anemic or anything like that, I'd say you're fine.

Candice: >>"And being a <u>Pasty</u> chef..." Nice pun! Or was it a Freudian slip?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 11:48

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Oppp...... Sorry I forgot to spell check Pastry

Thanks for noticing

Candice