Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: Adaptive
Stats: 220/220/155
BF:N/A
Progress: 0%
Post Suggested one-a-days

I did a search for vitamins and I didn't find any suggestion. I may have missed what was there, or maybe some are hesitant to give advice, I do not know.
I started LCing after seeing a news presentation on the Atkin's diet and looking up info online. I have recently read the Atkin's book, from my library, and found a great section on the supplements he provided for his patients. I compared that to the listing on MY vit's lable and found gaps here and extra there... I would double up, but I know some of the listed amounts are alot higher than Atkin's prescription already. Is there any that fit the outline? Am I just being too 'type-1'?
Open for suggestions...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 10:20

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there.......

Since I'm in Canada, and products tend to be different between our countries, I can't really suggest any particular one for you. However, I'd like to suggest that you take a copy of the profile you are looking for to a health food store or a pharmacy that sells supplements and have them help you find the "right" one.

Just for your interest, Atkins has two other books that are very interesting and that mainly discuss supplements: Dr Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solution and Dr Atkins Age Defying Diet. If you are interested in more detail on supplements, consider reading these.

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 12:03
Registered Member

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the suggestion and the tips on readings. I'm hoping 'GNC' can help. Thanks again.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 06:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

It can be dangerous to "double up" on multivitamins if you do it for a long time. This is because you might then be taking in too much Vitamin A & Vitamin D. Most multis are pretty close tothe recommended daily dosage so doubling it for weeks or months could be a NOT good idea.

Instead, supplement the "holes" in the multi with other nutrients that you feel you need.

Vitamin C & the B's are rather self-regulating. Because they are water soluble, if you take in more than your body needs, they just run out the other end.

#5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 232/164/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Ultra Mega

I take GNC's Women's Ultra Mega without Iron multi (there is a men's ultra mega also). At Walgreens, you can find the exact same vitamin under their brandname for about $5 less (it is marketed as a GNC comparable product). I also supplement with Potassium, an extra calcium, and green tea extract.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 07:57
Registered Member

Smile Thanks for the tips

Just a thank you for all the great tips, I will have to look around. Thank you.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 269/256/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thank you for the question and the answers...

I have been looking but have been unable to find one with out Iron in it... So now I know.

Thanks again, Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 10:48
Registered Member

Stats: 269/260/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

So why do we want to look for one that doesn't have iron in it? Is iron not good on this diet?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 17:33

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

My guess would be that we get plenty of iron in the meats we eat and need no extras.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 18:18
Registered Member

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 232/164/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default no iron for me because...

as you suggest, I seem to be getting loads from my diet now that I'm eating much more meat as well as dark leafy greens like spinach. I also really find that having a multi with a dose of iron makes my stomach hurt like h#&*, especially if I take it in the morning when I'm having breakfast.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 269/256/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

The only time you need to take Iron is if you have a lack of it in the first palce. And yes we get plenty if we are eating the LC way...
If it is taken in excess it can actually build up in your blood and cause bigger problems.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 14:22

Stats: 325/309/180
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default question???

I have been diagnosed as anemic by my doctor. I take iron pills to help. Should I stop taking them now that I am on Atkins?