Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 20:21

Plan: paleolithic
Stats: 170/155/160
BF:
Progress: 150%
Talking More energy than I know what to do with!

Hi all,
I've been on a low carb/modified paleo diet for 2 months, and have felt at least a 5 time increase in energy. I practice Aikido at least 4 times a week which would in the past leave me buggered after each session. I'm now training harder than ever before and after each session I feel like doing another one! Additionally I seem to have a reservoir of energy! I've lost about 15lb's which I feel is a lot to lose in so short a time and undoubtable some of it was muscle. The strange thing is my muscles feel more alive and 'active' than before.

I'm not sure about the differences between the paleo diet and the basic low carb, but my diet is based on Leslie Kenton's X factor diet.
I'm am really curious to know why some people don't feel the energy. I am by no means a scientist but I would have thought that more energy in basic terms means that the body is functioning well. My recovery and recuperative abilites have shot through the roof. My concentration has at least doubled. These are traits that make this type of diet worthwhile to me.
I would like to pinpoint the factors that lead to lack of energy in this type of diet and more to the point the factors that are required for a plethora of energy. Any one got any info?
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 02:23

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up

Hi Hugo

Well done to you on what you have achieved. I know what you mean about concentration and alertness as this was one of the first things I noticed when I started low carbing a year ago.

On the energy front, I'm not sure. Whilst I have improved my fitness and therefore my ability to use the available energy over the last year I certainly would not say I had got increased energy. For myself some of this may be hormonal as a few months ago my hormones were very unbalanced (pre-menopause) and this resulted in a total loss of energy which is only now getting back to normal with the aid of tablets. More generally I think that higher levels of protein can help on the energy front as well. Others may have comments from their own experiences.