Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 10:57

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Question I know. I know. ANOTHER question on snacks.

I have been on this great board since February, and I have seen all of the snack questions. But, I would like to tailor this post to my tastes. Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Some people have a 'sweet tooth,' where as I have a 'salt tooth.' I always want a little something salty in the evening (a stalk of celery with cream cheese just won't do it for me). With this in mind, ironically, I am also trying to reduce my salt intake due to hypertention. So, no pork rinds, no nuts, etc. Last night I thought I found the perfect snack, dried beef. I was so busy looking for sugar and carbs on the label, I forgot to look at the sodium. It had 880mg of sodium per 1 oz!

The closest thing I have found is Steak Ums rolled with a very small amount of cheese. They have 30mg of sodium per serving. (Still, not very "snack-like" like nuts, rinds etc.)

Anyone have any ideas for me? (crunchy? no low salt tuna ideas please) I don't want to have to resort to putting salt on cucumbers for an evening snack.

Another option for me has been pickles, cocktail onions etc.

Thank you,
Julie

P.S. I have eliminated nuts and greatly limited cheese in my diet due to the lack of weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 11:19
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Great question....

I have the same problems with salt...I retain fluids.

I use No Salt.
It is found with the spices in your grocery stores. It is actually potasium. I use it everyday in replacement of "real salt". Since most of canadians and americans are are potasium deficient anyways...I'm actually doing my body good!!

There are a few different brands...no salt and nu salt are found in my area.

So...grab those cucumbers or whatever else needs a little salt...and sprinkle away!

hope this helps.....cin
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 11:19

Plan: basic LC
Stats: 200/150.5/130 Female 65"
BF:46.3//???
Progress: 71%

I am so with you on this, I haven't missed sweets at all but potatoe chips are a completely dif. story, I crave them sometimes. And I aslo think I am retaining alot of fluid due to salt. I've seen alot of people suggest NuSalt (I think that's what it's called) but I haven't gotten any yet. So far I have settled for salami with cheese but I know this has to be HIGH in sodium, I tried drinking chicken bullion (sp) too but it has to be way up there. So, I would love to hear any suggestions........
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 19:40

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%
Default Pepperoni? Pickles? Peanuts?

Have you tried pepperoni as a snack? It's rather salty!

You can fry them up in a skillet or throw some in the oven until they are crispy. Let them cool and then you can have pepperoni chips! (Haven't checked the sodium content on this though...might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's an idea.)

Dill pickles usually satisfy my salty cravings...or dishes with vinegar. (Here again, be careful of the sodium content in some pickles.)

Unsalted peanuts help cure my salty tooth! I have to be careful though, because a serving is about 30 peanuts. But strangely enough, the UNSALTED peanuts usually do the trick. (Odd, isn't it?)

If you think of any other ideas, then let me know! I need cravings for my salty tooth too!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 07:56

Exclamation Thanks!

UNSALTED PEANUTS

Perfect!! That's exactly the kind of thing I am looking for.

Thank you very, very much!

Julie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 07:57

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%
Exclamation That's Great!

Julie,
Let me know if the unsalted peanuts work!

In the meantime, I'm going to keep thinking of ideas that might help.

(Just a reminder: only eat a small handful of peanuts because they contain plenty of carbs!)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 10:49

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

I buy raw pumpkin seeds from the bin at the grocery store.

I pour some (about a cup or so) in a bowl, coat with olive oil, add some spices, lately I'm hooked on cajun.

Spread on a cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. They become light, crispy, spicey pepitas! YUM YUM

I eat them as a snack, put them in my salads, too.

Seeds are very GOOD for you too!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 07:43

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 170/170/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Salty snack

My favorite salty snack is fried squash. Slice the yellow squash in very thin slices ( a little thicker than a potato chip) Fry in olive oil a few at a time until the are nice and crispy. Drain on paper towel. Salt with coarse Kosher salt. They are wonderful. Please let me know how you like this recipe.

Last edited by DebbieS : Mon, Sep-02-02 at 10:16.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 07:54

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

How about low sodium sunflower seeds?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 13:02

Plan: basic LC
Stats: 200/150.5/130 Female 65"
BF:46.3//???
Progress: 71%
Default DEEELISH!!!!!

DebbieS-
Today I was really craving something salty & crunchy like chips(pms) and I remembered reading your recipe yesterday so I figured i'd give it a try (although I'm used to my squash fried in batter) and YYYUUUMMMMYYYYY!!! I never thought I'd eat chips again but this is soooo close!!!!!! you're my snack hero for the month!!!! the only bad thing is I just ate 2 whole squash before i knew what i had done!!!!!
Thanks sooo much!!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 13:33

BF:

I am delighted that you love this squash recipe. I absolutely love it. I eat them as fast as I take them out of the pan. Even my kids love the salty little chips. They really do replace potato chips. I would much rather eat squash than potato chips anyday! Try my broccoli recipe. Cut the stems just like the squash and cook the same way. They are just as yummy. Thanks again for the feedback.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 14:59

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

You think that would work with zukes or cukes or other squash or veggies???
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 15:59

BF:

I'm not sure about cucumbers or zucchini. You could try it. Let me know how it turns out. Warm cucumbers just doesn't appeal to me. Good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 06:46

Post Maybe...

I tried this last night and it was good on my taste buds, but I am not sure all will like it.

I took walnuts (unsalted, used for baking) and tossed them with unsalted melted butter. Then, I placed them on my toaster oven sheet and sprinkled salt on them (I have heard that salt shaken on food is better than the large amount of salt in processed food.).

Not sure about the time, but I toasted them three times and they came out tasting a little like popcorn (the butter and salt?).

Beware, though. They stayed hot for awhile.

Julie
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 06:57

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 296/248/160
BF:???
Progress: 35%
Talking chips???!!!

Man I love this board!!! I can't wait till lunchtime to try those squash and pepperoni chips. Y'all make this woe sooo much easier for us all. Thanks for the great ideas. First the yummy cheese"crackers" now this.

Shari