Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/171.4/162
BF:28/25/22
Progress: 59%
Default lean body mass and ideal weight

Hi,

I've searched the forums and can't find out how to determine my ideal body weight based on my lean body mass. I've actually done several internet searches and still can't find the info. My lean body mass as determined at my fitness center last year was 134.5. My much taller friend has a lbm of only 121. I am extremely muscular even when not exercising so I guess that is why it is high??? Do I calculate an 18-21 percent body fat ration and add it to that? I had set my goal for 140 lbs. but that may not be realistic esp. since I've been working out regularly (5 days a week-one hour a day) for the past three months. No one at the gym seems to be able to answer this question. Anyone have any ideas. I've lost about 10 lbs. over the past 5 weeks but my measurements show much better results, so I'm happy and really thrilled to be off sugar for the first time in my life!

Susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:32

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I know there's whole chapter and fully detailed in the book Protein Power, which I'm in the midst of myself. So, I wouldn't want to put my foot in my mouth, as I haven't read it all yet. Maybe someone who follows it can help.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:39

Okay, I just think I found my answer in the hot links section just posted. 22 percent body fat on lean body mass weight???? Is this right?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:40
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I poked around on the web to see if I could find a good site for you... click here and see if this doesn't answer your question.

Congratulations on your results thusfar!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 16:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Or you could click : Using BF% as goal - at the end of the post there are charts attached with ranges of BF for both men and women for varying ages. Not knowing your age I can't give you an example. The forumal, however, would be:

Your LBM x BF% you desire = your body fat weight. Add this to your LBM to get a goal weight.

HTH
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 17:09

Thanks for all of your replies. Now I have the information that I need. I'm going to have the Wellness Center/gym folks do a new body fat profile on me at the end of the month and then I'll go from there. I am still having a problem figuring out the math on all of this but I guess I'm just math-challenged or it is the end of the day and my brain has gone into slow-mode. oh well.

Thanks for all of the help Susan