Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 21:05

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%
Default Need Some Form Of Sweets Now

AIght after doing another 30 minutes of cardio tonight I saw a an apple danish on the table and like a bat out of hell came htis craving. I have been looking through the recipe sections here, but all that is "low-Carb" while I am looking for NO Carb.

I'd apprecieate any advice/help on these topics. I hate to always ask questions I know I could find the answer to, and I will be looking but you guys and gals always bring up something I would probably not have thought of or found through personal research

1.)What is an acceptable amount of carbs to have on thursday. I remembering reading Duchaine said no more than 5g, if this is true, I want 5 chocolate covered almonds pronto. Just something to supress this.

2.)What int he hell is a mock Danish?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 21:28
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

My answer isn't going to be of much help to you; more of a motivational kick in the ass. If you're following the 'BODYOPUS' plan to the 'T'- then, well, don't you start your 'carb-up' tomorrow? Why not just want till tomorrow to chow down on some 'FAT-FREE Entemanns APPLE danish' (good stuff).
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 22:47

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Mock Danish:

2-3 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1-2 Splenda
vanilla extract (1 tsp or to taste)

soften the cream cheese, mix ingredients together and nuke for 2 mins. YUM

Cheers,

Friday
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 08:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/147/150
BF:38%/16%/15%
Progress: 106%

Well, it's a bit late, but just in case anyone else comes along, what about SF Jello?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 18:59

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by silk
Well, it's a bit late, but just in case anyone else comes along, what about SF Jello?

Sugar-free jello contains small amounts of maltodextrin, which is a glucose polymer. This can be both good and bad. On one hand it's a sugar so it may kick you out of ketosis. On the other hand, if you're a ketogenic dieter, it's one of the best kinds of carbs to eat because it breaks down to glucose and muscles absorb it very well (unlike fructose which gets stuck in the liver for conversion to glucose).

Ultimately it probably depends on quantity. A single cup of sf jello may not hurt, but... can you eat just one? I can't, so I just pass on it altogether.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 21:04
Registered Member

Sugar-free 'Jell-O' also has 'aspartame/citric acid'. This artificial sweetener has been known to 'kick' people out of ketosis.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/147/150
BF:38%/16%/15%
Progress: 106%

Yeah, I have heard that, too. It never caused me any problems. I guess after 2+ years of low carbing I decided it's better than an actual cheat. Now on the other hand I had some real problems with sugar alcohols, but from what I understand, those would be a no-no with CKD anyway.

Also, I freely admit I am still on the fence about CKD, and just do straight low carb, so maybe I am full of it when it comes to true CKD.

The thing is, for us chicks, there are times during the month when "willpower" is almost impossible. For me, I think these are good times to use one's favorite form of Ephedra or Ephedra free appetite supressant. Womens bodies are made to want extra calories and carbs when we are most fertile and just after that in prep for possible pregnancy, so I believe it is perfectly acceptable, even crucial to successful dieting to have a plan in place for dealing with this.

Then, of course there's the whole question of weather the keto sticks truely show ketosis or not. How can you truely be out of ketosis if you haven't had any carbs?

Just having an "on the other hand" moment... don't wanna start any wars
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:18
Registered Member

Quote:
The thing is, for us chicks, there are times during the month when "willpower" is almost impossible.

-I was truly hoping you were going to lead us onto something else; it gave me a shimmer of hope.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 17:22

Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by silk
How can you truely be out of ketosis if you haven't had any carbs?

Just because you haven't had any carbs doesn't mean you automatically get into ketosis. There's only about a thousand other factors involved.

If ketosis is what you're after, your liver has to have enough fat to work with - whether from the food you eat or your own, so to speak. I've noticed that as my bf% lowered, it's become harder and harder to get into ketosis - now it takes me at least three days, running every day, eating 0 carbs and only moderate protein (ca. 0.75 g/lb).

From reading on this and experimenting on myself, it seems that many more things can block your entry into ketosis than kick you out once you're already there. For example, Zeus pointed out citric acid. It's thought to cause problems because it serves as an intermediate in glucose metabolism (TCA cycle for you biochem nerds like me). More citric acid - more active TCA cycle - more amino acids converted to glucose - body doesn't need to turn on the ketogenic pathway. Indeed, skipping the diet coke early in the week helps me get into ketosis faster. But once I'm already there it doesn't bother me - that makes sense if the ketogenic pathway is already up and running. Same applies to trace carbs in what you're eating, and the fat/protein ratio - once ketotic, protein intake can go up a little bit.

But anyways, note that I said "if ketosis is what you're after". Can you lose weight and not be in ketosis? Sure you can...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 18:24
Registered Member

Quote:
From reading on this and experimenting on myself, it seems that many more things can block your entry into ketosis than kick you out once you're already there. For example, Zeus pointed out citric acid. It's thought to cause problems because it serves as an intermediate in glucose metabolism (TCA cycle for you biochem nerds like me). More citric acid - more active TCA cycle - more amino acids converted to glucose - body doesn't need to turn on the ketogenic pathway.

-What?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 22:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/zone
Stats: 200/165/160
BF:
Progress: 88%

When I have that craving, I spread some peanut butter on a plate, take 2 or 3 frozen strawberries and slice them using a poultry shears and sprinkle them with sweetner. Sometimes I sprinkle a little bit of cocoa over the whole think and a dribble of oil (I use MCT Oil, but then I've become "an MCT junkie").

For sweetner I use a blend of inulin and stevia. You could use splenda or one of the aspertame powders as well. I like the inulin because it does not have an insulin stimulation effect like the maltodextrose and other fillers in Splenda.

In my Company, I'm thinking of creating a product I'll call Baker's Inulin which will be sucralose and inulin. This will be useful for people making commercial versions of my Flan recipe since stevia is illegal as a sweetner -- in Canada at least.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 09:29
Registered Member

Stats: 174/170.4/165
BF:Not measured
Progress: 40%

Taking glutamine has been shown to curb carb cravings. Don't know the mechanism, but some extra glutamine couldn't hurt.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/zone
Stats: 200/165/160
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Good Thought.

I have some in my cubbord. I used to take it but got out of the habit. I check to see if it's not "expired" Thanks for the reminder.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 10:12
Registered Member

Quote:
When I have that craving, I spread some peanut butter on a plate, take 2 or 3 frozen strawberries and slice them using a poultry shears and sprinkle them with sweetner

-Bye, bye... ketosis.