Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Bwaahaahaa

"Hopefully it will change the eating habits of the American public," he said.

Gah...more like, "Hopefully it will settle out of court so l can get a sweet fee." Being a law student fascinated with class action suits, I can tell you that this is really just another way for the attorney to try to sneak a percentage of $$ out of a potentially huge recovery. No matter how asinine the charge, if a judge certifies the class the chances for a hefty "get oudda my face" settlement arrangement are quite good.

After all, none of the major food chains want to see this go to trial, because 12 overweight jurors just might be bitter enough about all those milkshakes they were 'forced' to consume to find the companies liable. And once they set THAT precedent you'd see some litigation, people.

-Jinkster
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/160/160 Male 5.7
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Bwaahaahaa

Quote:
Originally posted by Jinkster
12 overweight jurors
Yeah right! Like the defense would let that happen!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 13:20
Registered Member

Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%

Grin, even with voir dire the statistical chances of getting a primarily overweight jury box is high, especially depending in what district the suit is filed. You can only strike so many jurors...and the percentage of overweight folk is only getting higher.

-Jinkster
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 17:41

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by purnois
Okay guys, who do we go after for CHOCOLATE!?!?!?!?!

SPAIN!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 22:30

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Instead of suing McDonalds, Burger King, etc., the lawyers should be suing the U.S.D.A., who came up with that ridiculous food pyramid!

I just learned that lawyers came up with the food pyramid, NOT nutritionists.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 17:47

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Lawyers made the food pyramid?? I knew that there was some lobbying involved, but...

Anyhoos, along these same lines, I had a conversation with my mom last night. She said that when I was little, I would beg to go to McDonalds every day. This is the same mom who, in her early 20's, low-carbed and lost a lot of weight. So, I kept wondering why my mom took me there, when she knew it was bad for me. Until a month ago, I had no idea that carbs were bad for you! But part of me blamed my mom for raising me in such a way as to be a fat and carb junkie, and for not telling me that carbs were bad. And on the other hand, once I was old enough to know better, I didn't stop eating there. It was only the fear of people looking at me and whispering "that's why she's fat" made me stop going to fast food places.

In other words, despite being raised in a food-poor way, once I grew an independant brain, I was able to easily avoid the "addictions" of fast food. McDonalds has rarely said any of their food was healthy. Maybe these people will blame Ronald McDonald for sucking their brains, too. (I'm more likely to believe that one. Clowns are SCARY!)
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 18:22

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
"I trace it all back to the high fat, grease and salt, all back to McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King – there was no fast food I didn't eat, and I ate it more often than not because I was single, it was quick and I’m not a very good cook," Barber said in an interview with Foxnews.com.

Gee, let's see:

By his own words, he states that he ate at these places more often than not because:
  • He was single
  • It was quick
  • He's not a very good cook

So McDonald's wouldn't let him get married?

So Wendy's is guilty because they are quick?

So Burger King barred him from learning to cook?

Of course, people like Rush Limbaugh are laughing and yelling, "I told you so." This is precisely what they all predicted would happen as soon as the tobacco class action lawsuit was settled for a huge amount of money.

What we need is a class action lawsuit against LAWYERS for all of the costs they have saddled us all with through these assinine, responsibility-sherking lawsuits!
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 21:04

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

I saw the guy whos sueing (sp) all the fast-food joints on Good Morning America and he looked like a total loser.

He couldnt pronounce sodium, cholesterol, and saturated fats. He repeated the same 4 sentence comment everytime the anchor woman said "Isn't this a little bit silly?"

And his lawyer had a greedy money sign on his forhead (well maybe not the money sign)

This law suit isnt gonna go anywhere and he's going to be the laughing stock of the US.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 21:18

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

Well, whether he looks like a loser or not or whether he is totally illiterate or not has no bearing what-so-ever on whether there is merit to his claims and that is what the focus should remain centered on. A bumbling idiot that never made over minimum wage deserves to have their claims taken just as seriously - and dismissed just as preemptively if appropriate - as the most wealthy, articulate person around.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 10:55

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%
Exclamation I need an attorney!

I would like to sue that little boy in the third grade who repeatedly pulled my hair.

(I'm sure he is the reason why I sometimes have "bad hair days".)
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 12:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

*LOL* Y'all are a witty bunch.

Anyway, this is indeed frivolous.

However: it wouldn't surprise me to see masses of heart/diabetes/obesity patients, who got worse eating the way the ADA/AHA/USDA/etc told them to, considering legal action. hmm...
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 13:13

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Quote:
However: it wouldn't surprise me to see masses of heart/diabetes/obesity patients, who got
worse eating the way the ADA/AHA/USDA/etc told them to, considering legal action. hmm...

Now, I will jump on THAT bandwagon!!!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 14:16
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

Ok, so if this guy wins his lawsuit and gets big money, will that take away from the government benefits he can get for claiming his obesity as a disability?
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 19:36

Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%

No I don't believe that anyone forced you (maybe a friend or something, but not the company). You are the one to make your own decision, no one can change your mind if you don't want to. If you eat at Mc D, or Wendy's, or KFc, or BK it was most likely your idea! Anyway they should get over it

SooCee
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 19:39

Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%

take at look at this pic...

it is McDonald's type of burger they sell in Japan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teriyaki_big.jpg (14.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by SooCee : Sat, Aug-03-02 at 20:02.