Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 22:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 150/145/128
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default I have lost eight pounds since..

I began Induction on July 22nd but after feeling horrible yesterday and the day before I have decided to do a sort of customized Atkins or maybe more accurately my own Low Carb way. I had over 50 grams of carbs today (went a little crazy) but tomorrow I will control the carbs and get them to 25 or less. I will resume my workout and cardio regimen which I had stopped on July 28th and I will stop eating beef. I was almost a vegetarian before beginning Induction and I am SO sick of red meat right now I could barf! I am going to eat chicken and tuna. I am so grateful for doing Induction because it sure has taught me to watch my carbs and taught me that too many carbs is what causes weight gain. To satisfy my sweet tooth I will eat Endulge bars and Carbolite bars which are both awesome. I will begin my day with a brisk 45 minute walk to help me burn off the excess carbs I ate today. I will keep you guys updated on my progress.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 04:08

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You say you are sick of red meats and are going to eat tuna and chicken...... why haven't you been doing that all along? Have you actually read the book?

Dr Atkin's is not a red meat only diet. He lists all meats and seafoods on his induction lists. Chicken, pork, beef, lamb, veal, shellfish, fish etc.

Eating low carb bars is not recommended. After a year on this board I have seen many people stall because of the hidden carbs and their affects on people's bodies. (use the search function on this board on "low carb bars" and read up on the problems they cause others)

Maybe you should reread the book again. It sounds like you may have missed some very valuable points.

For instance You say you will control carbs but which carbs? There are actually good carbs and bad ones. The bad ones have a high glycemic index and do reck havoc on your blood chemistry.

I know a lot of people start Atkin's without reading his book because their friend "told" them exactly how to do it. My mother in law was one of those.....my father in law told her what the book said. After a few months she gave it up because she was sick of bacon, hamburger patties and cheese. ?!?!?!??!? That was all they were eating! Somehow he missed the fact that you could eat other stuff. Or maybe he just wanted to simplify it down. Either way it turned her off the diet.

This isn't really a diet, but a way of maintaining your wieght for the rest of your life. One in which you can enjoy eating rich foods that would normally be denied on some other diet.

Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 07:42

Plan: Atkins (again)
Stats: 160/158/137
BF:
Progress: 9%
Wink back in the saddle

Hi!!

It sounds like you've got a great plan!
I had a wonderful tuna salad last night and feel wonderful this morning! I like all your resolve....I've been just toying with exercise (I've added carrying a 5lb weight to my daily 1/2 hour of walking - with friends at work)...because of the awful arm situation ...but...i just had a little slip in two areas, myself...I smoked, when I have been very good about quitting...
and i cheated on Atkins after two weeks of being a perfect little inductee...sigh sigh

BUT!

it's time to get back on track...and I shall!

let's e-mail...looks like we are in a similar boat (though i have not yet tired of beef or pork products for that matter...)

Be good to yourself!

culli
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/140/135 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default watch those sugar alcohols

they will throw you right out of ketosis. I read in the new Atkins Handbvook that comes with the Trial Kit that you should limit yourself to one Atkins Bar or Shake per day while on induction. I would say - you ought to even be more stringent with the chocolate bars with high sugar alcohols. Yes, they may say that they have no or low net carbs, but actually take a look at the ingredients list and see what you're eating.

I decided I didn't need chocolate THAT bad.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 150/145/128
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Allow me to clarify please...

Guys, I first did a low carb six week regimen three years ago (not Atkins) and I lost 17 pounds in 6 weeks although I cheated every week. On that one I could only eat chicken or fish and cruciferous veggies. No beef, no fruit, no bread, no dairy. I am a very disciplined person and after doing the Induction for very strictly for one week and four days, I got tired of it. Let me rephrase that, I got tired of eating beef and the reason I was eating beef instead of chicken is because I got so freaking burned out on chicken on the three years ago LC diet. I really don't care for fish but I am trying to like it. I did buy the Atkins book, the cookbook, and the carb counter and YES I have read all of the pertinent info regarding the Induction phase, etc. I have decided to still keep my carbs in the 20-25 range a day and I am going to try and make sure the carbs I eat are healthy ones. However, if I have a craving for chocolate and decide to eat a Carbolite or an Endulge bar then good for me because it's better than frozen yogurt, or ice cream, etc. Prior to July 22nd when I began Induction I had done cardio exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY for 77 consecutive days and I did weight training three times a week. If I had known to go LC during that 77 days I would have already lost a ton of weight. I am a very disciplined person and many of my friends do a modified Atkins diet which is what I am going to do. Thanks for your encouragement.