Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 21:03

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%
Default Hubby & I are Newbies to LC

Hello All!

Just saying hello here. Hubby and I started Protein Power plan with a bit of modification, last Monday. We have each lost 10 lbs so far. Very excited about that. Hubby is having a bit of trouble today wanting bread type items & sweets, so I am looking for stuff that is tasty and will be satisfying. I am looking into the KETO products. Found a recipe for Low-carb pretzels (which he is craving) that uses the KETO bread machine mix. I may try those first. Anyone have any suggestions on other substantial things like tortillas, breads, rice, etc...? Trying to stick to 30 carbs a day/10 per meal...

So excited I found this forum!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 08:27
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Low carb tortillas - La Tortilla Factory- only 3 carbs each! Tacos! Breakfast burritos! Quesadillas! (hungry, yet?) I'm not sure if they sell these in health food stores in your area, I've always purchased them over the internet. (and in bulk - they freeze well)

Congrats to you and your hubby! (I empathize with him, bread is my Achille's heel as well)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:04

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

hi, and welcome to the forum!

It seems that there is a three-pronged explanation for the craving for wheat products. One is simply the insulin rush--we want it, we miss it, and yet it's horribly bad for us. Bread is equivalent in its blood sugar effect to pure sugar.

The second issue is wheat allergy/intolerance. Many americans, having had wheat three times a day their whole lives, are allergic to it. The addictive nature of those foods we're allergic to is a fascinating issue and connects to leaky guy syndome, which the Eades address at length in PPLP.

The third issue is the drug-like effect of various food substances. There's significant evidence that the brain chemicals that are produced in reaction to the attempt to digest grains (wheat is the worst) are highly mood altering and very addictive. That your dh is craving so badly right now makes a great deal of sense.

For these reasons and others (you just don't want to get back in the habit of breads), I suggest avoiding even LC breads.

If you want "substantial" foods, try a 6-cup spinach salad with lots of other veggies and feta cheese. Or steam a whole head of cauliflower and split it between you two (with butter, of course!) for dinner. That's substantial. So is a 16-ounce steak! And all that is legal on PP.

If you take up your carb allowance with what one of our mentors here calls "frankenfoods" (LC products), you don't get the phytochemicals that veggies and fruits and nuts offer. Whole foods is definitely the way to go.

Sure, it is an adjustment. But the cravings DO ease. Just white knuckle it for awhile, change those habits so that a "sandwich" means meat and cheese wrapped in a large romaine leaf and rolled up, and ignore the rest of America eating their processed carbs. You'll be so glad you did!

Glad to have you both aboard.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:31
empress of fashion

BF:

Leaky guy syndrome! Sorry, the image was too funny to pass up! I believe you were referring to leaky gut syndrome.

Thanks for the info.

I understand what you're saying about the tortillas and how eating foods like what we shouldn't eat tempt one for the real thing. In their defense, the tortillas taste like tortillas. They do not resemble bread in any way. But of course, if eating them causes a person to crave other grains, by all means discontinue. (wrap them tightly and send them to me - my pan of homemade taco meat awaits!)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 10:30

Default Thanks

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies. RAZZLE the advice on the different reasons why he has cravings was great and something to show him. I think his main deal is, he drives around half the day for work and just picks up anything he can find; fast food, bagels, etc... because they are fast and quick filling, for a time. I think it's also a "I deserve this" issue, not so much as a physical issue, but he is working on it. He spent 1/2 hour getting his breakfast and lunch ready last night. Packed up his waters, etc... he said he felt more in control because he was prepared. I sent him off with a monstrous salad as well, that will tide him over I think! haha

I will check into those tortillas. Last night I was thinking, "Can I somehow have enchiladas? My favorite thing in the whole world?" I figured it has chicken, cheese and sour cream, those are allowed. Just need to check on the enchilada sauce and get those tortillas you talked about. May search for a low-carb recipe for it... Thanks to everyone and for the nice welcome!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 10:34

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

iowagirl, lol at myself! I'll leave that typo. Yes, I WAS referring to leaky GUT syndrome. Leaky guy syndrome, I'm not sure WHAT to do about!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 12:07

Default Tortillas

Okay, I went a bought a case of those tortillas online. You all swear they are good? Because I just spent an arm and half a leg on them! haha No, I am sure my hubby will get down on his knees and thank me when they arrive. We used to eat a lot of tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, etc.. so we are used to having tortillas as opposed to bread, etc... My hubby is the salsa king around here. He makes the best homemade salsa, and hasn't had a reason to make it since we started dieting. Now he can! I can't wait to receive the tortillas!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 12:53
empress of fashion

BF:
Default when the tortillas arrive...

Melt some butter in a frying pan. Place a tortilla on that and top with cheese (chicken, beef...!), cover until cheese melts. Fold over, omelette style. Viola! Quesadilla! Very tasty. Will go well with your husband's (low carb) salsa and sour cream !
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 12:58

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

We use Salsa for eggs, and chili - yummy stuff!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 13:05

All those ideas sound super yum. Thanks! Now I have to wait up to 10 days for my tortillas to arrive, my order form said... boo hoo...