Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 07:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/210/195
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Which Fruits Can I Have

I'm an experienced low carber, but I've never taken advantage of eating the fruits that are allowed, so I've got no idea of which ones are acceptable. So, if someone could tell me which fruits are allowed, I'd appreciate it. Also, do you have to treat them like other low carb foods where you have to watch your intake, or can you treat them as a piece of meat where you can eat to your heart's content?

Thanx a bunch.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 08:44

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

you cannot treat any piece of fruit like meat (you cannot eat any as much as your heart desires).

There are some fruits that are desirable and somewhat low in carbs. These are berries (strawberries, rasberries, blueberries). I would recommend using caution easting these because you could end up eating a lot without even knowing it!

Also, if you are in induction (or if you are a yo-yo low carber) I wouldn't recomend eating fruit for sometime.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 10:07

Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool Fruit...

Sleemie,

Just a word of caution...fruit has caused me to have cravings and many other have said the same. Measuring amounts must be meticulous. Also, listen very carefully to your body; if you feel an insulin response, stop eating. Also, reread your books or look fruits up in the index, there are very specific guidelines for different stages, depending on your plan. Have a great day!

Betsy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 14:05

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Hi Sleemie,

Once you are out of induction and a little farther down the path of OWL, the following fruits are OK in small amounts:

Strawberries (these are the lowest, due to high fiber content, only 4-8 effective carbs per 8 berries)
raspberries
blueberries
all berries, basically
peaches (fresh only, 8? carbs per half peach)
melons (canteloupe and honeydew, not watermelon, I think)
pears
cherries

All should be fresh only, no frozen or canned! And none should be eaten on their own; always eat some sort of fat or protein with them ie cream, cheese or eat a small amount with your meal. This lowers the insulin effect of the fructose in the fruit.

My favorite dessert is berries mixed with a half cup of full fat plain yogurt (which due to the friendly bacteria, does not have as many carbs as it states on the packaging) and add in sugar free raspberry syrup and a dab of SF coconut syrup. It is the yummiest thing ever, and has not effected my loss at all.

Enjoy your fruit! Hey, it's better than chocolate!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 18:05

Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool

gracie,

I just wanted to ask...why can't the fruit (such as strawberries) be frozen?

Betsy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 18:28

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Because most of the berries are frozen in some kind of syrup of sugar. If they were whole berries just frozen alone, they be fine. BUT READ THE LABEL first.

#7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 08:55
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Or even better yet...freeze the fresh ones yourself. I'm still enjoying fresh strawberries from our peak season here in California...boy were they PERFECT! I'm in OWL so I only have a very few here and there but I love having them still available.

Because they're frozen now they are quite mushy, so I throw them into a mix of SF jello, block of cream cheese and 1/2 a can of diet sprite and blend... it's a creamy jello mould that is wonderful after dinner or for snack.

#8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 22:24
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/160/160 Male 5.7
BF:
Progress: 100%
Lightbulb Re: Which Fruits Can I Have

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleemie
tell me which fruits are allowed
Avocadoes.