Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 15:42

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%
Question Sexual content but serious question

My wife and I have been on the low carb diet for two weeks and we've been keeping it under 20 carbs a piece a day.

We do not weigh ourselves, rather use other clothes we cannot fit into to see how our progress is doing. However, we have noticed something; our sexual drive has increased like 20 fold since we started this diet.

I do not mean to get graphic, nor will I. However, it has been like our first week of our honeymoon. It's not just the energy we have now, it's also (I dont know why) seems that we are desiring to do the act like stinking spring rabbits.

Has anyone else experience this "added bonus" to a low carb diet? If so does anyone know the science behind it? Heck, if my wife and I knew the low carb diet was gonna do this we would've started ages ago.

God bless the LC doctors!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 16:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

*LOL* I can't say I experienced that, but it doesn't surprise me. I guess a more interesting question is why sex drive goes down to begin with. There are many possible factors: stress, lack of energy, poor nutrition... So if you've ventured out on this new way of eating, you both probably have more energy, for one thing. Plus, you're probably feeling really good about your bodies. Even if you haven't lost much weight yet, I've always found that just the *act* of treating your body better improves body image.

Has it "connected" you more, too? Is this kinda like a project that you're working on together? Are you cooking and shopping together, trying to figure stuff out?

Ah, never mind: this is starting to sound like Oprah. Enjoy each other.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 16:42

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

LOL

Well, we have been going out more. The restraunt (sp) Outback is great for this diet so we've been there a few times. We've also been incentive shopping for some nice suits and dresses.

I guess that and chemicals and energy all contribute to it all
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 04:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

LOL too!!
One of the reasons my DH is so supportive of me doing this diet is that I feel more energetic, happier and better about my body. Net result, we're having a lot more fun!
Maybe this is how we should sell LC to the rest of the world.
Or maybe we should just keep it an LC secret!
Have a good time with each other, Jay
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 07:04
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Oh, we've definitely enjoyed the added drive, too! I don't think it's directly related to the diet itself but rather a by-product of our improved self-image and self-caring. And..... the more you have, the more you want once those hormones start flowing! Enjoy!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 08:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

I haven't had sex since I started doing Atkins, honest.

I started Atkins on the 1st Jan,02.

I must be doing something wrong

Must read my DANDR again.....

Bebe
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 09:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool Maintaining Intimacy

Consider yourself lucky! Good for you and your wife. For me, I lost my desire when I was in induction and it is slowly coming back. I think it is a normal response to a persons body being under a great deal of stress. If you were able to bypass this...all the better! Maintaining intimacy is important to feeling good about ourselves.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 07:17

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Talking I agree

My desire for sex increases dramatically when I stick to this WOL. For me, there are two reasons for this.

1. Increased energy (already mentioned above).

2. I feel better about the way I look in the buff and MUCH more confident. Heck, I even dare to have sex with the lights on! LOL

Have a great (sex filled) day!

Julie
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 20:11
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default *boggles*

You mean that the LC diet is responsible for THAT too??

*grins*

And here my fiancee has been wondering why I have been so very very affectionate for the last week. He actually asked me if that increased drive was supposed to be a side affect . . . but I laughed at him.

It's actually kind of cool to see that other people agree. I thought I was just going through a mood swing . . . but hey. If this is here to stay, I'm not arguing.

Heck. I'm happy, I'm energetic, I'm definitly feeling increased sexual drive . . . At this rate, the weight loss is going to be the nice side-affect to all the other wonderful things happening to me right now.

Why, oh why, didn't I figure this out before?

-Bree
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 00:45

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

I noticed a change in myself put it down as others said to the energy /not ready for sleep at 'bedtime' and the improved body image. i think it goes deeper than that though and that the added protein gets our blood raging like wild animals ...hmm lucky wife you have , think my hubby needs a LC WOE too he used to be the one 'complaining' now the shoe is on the other foot
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 06:35

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Re: Sexual content but serious question

Quote:
Originally posted by Rkhinman

Has anyone else experience this "added bonus" to a low carb diet?

Ahem...... YES!

My husband likes to be the first to find each new bit of muscle or each emerging bone.

Cheers,

Friday
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 12:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/177/167
BF:
Progress: 68%

Looks like maybe I'm going to have to convert my hubby to this WOL sooner rather than later - even if I have to force it on him. This is a side effect I could DEFINITELY enjoy!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 12:50

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default It's all hormones!

Since my marriage was ending while I lost weight I'm afraid the added stress didn't help much

However, I agree that feeling better about your body and having more energy are probably contributing to increased libidos all over this board. Another answer is probably found in having insulin under control...just think, if too much insulin and body fat can have a strong effect on women's menstrual cycles, there's no reason to think that it may not also affect the other sex hormones too.

Lisa