Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 11:01

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Red face I'm sick of my Friggen Doctor and everyone else.

I've been exercising and following low carb correctly.. I'm not losing weight AND I feel like shyt and have HYPO symptoms..(weird heart beats, dry skin, overly tired, ect. ect. ect.)

EVERYOENS SAYING ITS MY FREAKING "DIET" ITS ATKINS blablablabla. I've had my blood checked.. Its "normal" yea normal my ass! I want off the friggen synthroid but they won't switch me. My mom thinks I just have it "stuck in my head that its bad because the evil people online told me it was bad".. Uh right. Not.

I obviously disagree and because I won't do "weight watchers" or some other stupid diet I get told I'm "stubborn" this and that blablabla.

Anyone know what I can take along with synthroid.. Like thyrolean or something at GNC that would help? I'm getting no where with doctors and I *STILL* have no health coverage to be able to go to another doctor.

Right now I'm sick of this drama to the point where I'm not even eating since I did gain 3 lbs for no reason at all. Sorry for the rant but Ugh!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 12:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/147/130 Female 5 ft 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 57%

How tall are you? 95 pounds does not seem like a reasonable goal unless you are quite short. Perhaps your body is trying to tell you it is already at a good weight. You seem to be so angry. There is not magic thing to eat or drink or take that will make you lose weight. There is no magic diet. You sound like you would benefit from talking to a professional and getting to where you can deal with what is making you so angry.

Perhaps we could help you if you would post your menus for a few days.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts & WW
Stats: 150/127/132
BF:
Progress: 128%
Post Thyroid Tests

Thyroid problems affect up to 60% of women - obviously, the majority of affected women are completely unaware of the problem. For this reason, most doctors do not properly test for thyroid problems.

First, the most important test to get diagnosed is a simple temperature! Body temperature is the best indicator for hypothyroidism - the lower i t is, the more likely you've got it.

Second, there is no one simple blood test to determine if you have an underactive thyroid. This is because there are different things that can be going wrong with your body impacting how your body absorbs the hormones that the thyroid gland produces. For instance, if your thyroid gland does not produce enough of its hormones [T3 & T4] then you have a slow thyroid. If your thyroid does produce enough hormones, but you have a high content of binding proteins in your body, it effectively nullifies the T3 and T4, and puts you in the same position as someone whose thyroid gland isn't secreting enough hormones.

For these reasons, you need to get, at minimum, the following blood tests done: TSH, T3, Free T3, T4, Free T4, Reverse T3, Reverse T4.

The TSH tests your pituitary gland to see if it is stimulating your thyroid gland. The more it is stimulating the gland, the less the gland is working on its own.

T3 and T4 test your body for the hormones that your thyroid gland produces.

Free T3 and Free T4 test your body to see how much of the T3 and T4 present in your body is useful? That is, of the present T3 and T4, how much is free from the binding proteins making it useless?

Reverse T3 and Reverse T4 have to do with the body attacking T3 and T4, also nullifying its effectiveness.

Just one of these sort of problems makes you hypothyroid. Testing just one area, though, may miss the problem, which is why you need to get it all checked!

I have had a thyroid problem for five known years, only one of which I have been diagnosed. I have felt wonderful since starting meds - and was on the cover of the Woman's World thyroid article this past April.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have regarding this area. Drop me a line at thyroid~justice.com [that's my e-mail - thyroid AT justice.com]

Margaret
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 14:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi SlimShady, I can understand your frustration. I have had a similar experience.

Some of us have been trying coconut oil with very good results in speeding up the metabolism and boosting energy. Here is a link to the thread in the ckd forum.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=51003

After several months of being stalled and trying quite a few of the metabolism boosters like thyrolean etc. with no improvement in how I felt and with average temps around 97.5, I tried the coconut oil and got immediate results. Within 15 to 20 minutes my temps get up to over 98 and stay there all day. It is pretty cheap too. $4 for a 14oz jar.

Good luck,
Bill