Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 10:53

Plan: pp
Stats: 140.0/140.0/125.0
BF:31%/31%/22%
Progress: 0%
Default It is pink!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy I am I pleased! Last night after being a little discouraged, I checked my ketosis and I am in it! Not heavily, I just reduced my carbs from 30 to 20 per day to follow the induction of Atkins. So, anyway, I just wanted to say I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE! And I have never NOT been hungry on a "diet" I can't tell you how good it feels to not be hungry!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 11:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Pink

For a minute there I thought you were talking about a pregnancy test {turning pink} RE: Ketosis, just remember "pink" is good "purple" is not.

BTW love the name!

Akiwican
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/183/150
BF:
Progress: 18%

by reading the posts here
i have learned that pink is good

but Atkins book really pushes the purple
why?

i did atkins in january , and gave up-because i never got past moderate (or dark pink) on the sticks
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 23:34

Stats: 275/267/150
BF:
Progress: 6%

I have never gotten past moderate either. i think I did one day when I didn't drink enough water (it really is a struggle for me to drink so much water...ugh), but I have never gone past the 'moderate' reading.

but thats good...apparently! I read the 70's Atkins book and was a little confused because he didn't go into much detail about what level of 'purple' he wanted...

some days i am getting a trace, others more...its hard to tell.

i was naughty the other day and got beige!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 06:55
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default What Atkins says about ketostix.....

from the Atkins website (www.atkinscenter.com)

Quote:
I am unable to get into ketosis even when I consume no carbohydrate. What should I do? Some people do not produce enough ketones to show up in their urine. If you are experiencing a reduction in your appetite and an improvement in well-being and are losing weight or your clothes are feeling looser, there is no need to do anything differently. Remember, the lipolysis testing strips (LTS) are tools; making them change color is not the sole object of the game. If you are not losing weight, you either have a strong metabolic resistance to weight loss or you are consuming “hidden” carbohydrates in the form of sweetened salad dressing, breading, etc. Then follow Induction strictly for five days. If the LTS still haven’t changed even slightly, make sure you are not consuming excess protein and measure your salads to make sure you are not eating too many veggies. Still no change? Try cutting out tomatoes and onions, which are relatively high on the glycemic index. You may also benefit from nutritional supplements such as L-carnitine, hydroxycitric acid (HCA), and chromium—all of which aid in hunger reduction or weight loss. You may also need to step up the frequency and intensity of your exercise program.

What are lipolysis testing strips? Lipolysis testing strips (LTS) measure the ketones—the markers that can indicate that your body is in lipolysis and the secondary process of ketosis—in your urine. The strips will change pink or purple, depending upon how many ketones are there. The more ketones you excrete, and therefore the greater degree ketosis you are in, the darker the color. You don’t have to use LTS, but doing so can be an extremely convenient aid to doing Atkins. My patients often tell me that they find the strips psychologically supporting.

What shade of purple should my lipolysis testing strips be? Will they show different levels at different times of day? Because every person's metabolism is different, the sticks turn different shades of purple or pink for different people. And, yes, results vary depending upon the time of the day, whether or not you exercise and what you last ate. It doesn’t matter whether your strips turn a dark or light color. Some people never even get into ketosis, but still lose weight easily. So don’t worry about the exact level of ketosis shown on your test strips; what is more important is how your clothes are fitting, what the scale says and how you feel.

Bottom line.... don't get hung up on those little plastic strips.... use the pant-o-meter to determine your progress!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 15:22

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

my ketone sticks are always dark pink to purple..

....someone mentioned on this thread that purple is bad and that's the first time I heard about that being bad. Is it because it means I need more water intake?

I cant get my ketones to light pink..its always dark.

It's either dark or its trace.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 15:17

BF:

If your strips are turning dark purple it usually means that you are not drinking enough water. The keytones are concentrated and thus turning the strips dark purple. As long as you are in ketosis ,that means a trace, you are burning keytones and thats all you need.

BTW water: You should be drinking 64 oz plus 8oz for every 25lbs you want to loose.

Akiwican
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 19:29

i drink around 100 oz a day and Im dark purple still.

My carb intake is around 7 to 10 gms a day (well taking a carb trapper on top of a low carb diet is probably a little silly....I wonder if its that supplement is what's making the sticks purple).
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 18:02

BF:
Default Search

Maybe the strips are old and not reading accurately.... I dont know? I know lots of things affect the readings and most people ditch them in frustration.

You could do a search in the newbie's section, as there are many threads on this, to see if there is any answers why they are dark purple....

On Atkins induction your carb level should be close to 20g per day. Less is not better in this case. In fact some people loose more weight on more carbs as time goes on.

Akiwican
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 09:48

hmmm

The sticks are new and eveyr bottle I buy my results are always dark purple (unless I cheat)

DOnt know
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 12:21
Registered Member

Stats: 215/206/135
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have the same situation as above. I drink plenty of water and keep my carbs at 20ish - yet my strip is purple. It was mauve on day one so there was a measurable difference.

Yesterday I ate a huge soft pretzel for lack of anything else around. I also scarfed some honey roasted nuts and a few slurps of soda. We were at the pool and there was nothing attractive at the snack shop to eat. That night my color dropped to mauve again. When I woke up this morning it was purple.

Today I'm getting a scale to see what is going on. I think this may be a case of different strokes for different folks. If people can lose weight just fine with the slightest reading, and we are showing a strong reading while also observing the rules, what are we supposed to do?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 10:20

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

the stix really don't tell us much. They can read positive because of a large amount of dietary fat or meds or dehydration.

And I can get positive readings for three months running, as I did this spring, and not lose an ounce. I believe that's because I've just reached my healthiest weight. So ketosis obviously does not guarantee fat loss.

So don't fret about the sticks or, for that matter, the scale. Do the program you're on, pay attention to the really important things in your life (like loving your kids, your creativity, your spiritual life, having fun) and, in a year or two or three, you'll be the best weight for you.