Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:56
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default ABC 20/20 on July 19

I saw a commercial for ABC's 20/20 upcoming show (Fri., 7/19) and I definitely got the impression they would be talking about how the lowfat message we've been getting all these years could be WRONG. I went to the ABC website to see what it said:

Quote:
Plus, is the conventional wisdom that a low-fat diet reduces heart risk really proven? Dr. Tim Johnson reports.

The film showed someone flipping a big ol' T-bone steak on the BBQ pit.

I'll definitely be watching.... that makes 2 prime-time news shows in one week that are covering the "pyramid myth"!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 00:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This will be a double wammy, airing on Friday along with CBS's 48 Hours on Atkins

This month should be declared as the International Low-Carb Month by the United Nations!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 196/163.5/150
BF:
Progress: 71%

Did you catch Dateline NBC Last night. They had the Atkinds diet on it as well. Only got the last few minutes of it though. so that is three in ONE WEEK!!!!!!! Something must be right if they are all talking about it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 17:38
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Texasgal
Did you catch Dateline NBC Last night. They had the Atkinds diet on it as well. Only got the last few minutes of it though. so that is three in ONE WEEK!!!!!!! Something must be right if they are all talking about it.

You can still read it and see the video online here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=50920

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Thumbs up Looking forward to it!

I will definately be watching and I am going to try and get my DH to sit in as well.... he's not a "convert" yet Not that he needs to loose any weight, but I would like him to support me a bit better in this WOL. He is the kind of guy that can eat anything, no regular exercise {beside work which is outside physical stuff} and never gains a pound

Anyway.... cant wait to see the show and check in on the discussions here afterwards.

Lesley
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 10:08

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Off the subject a little, but Akiwican, I know what you mean...my husband is the same way! and I'm trying to convert him just so he'll support me more. I wish I could eat like him!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 15:33
Forum Founder

Tonight's show will definitly discuss low-carb diets, not just the low-fat fallacy

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020...iets020719.html

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 19:27

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 315.5/189.8/170 Female 5 ft  8.5 in
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Be Sure to Watch 20/20 on TV tonight!

I just heard that they are going to have a segment on "The New Diet Revolution" on 20/20 tonight, and that experts have now decided that the medical community and the government have admitted that they have been wrong all these years and that the food pyramid is way outdated. They are now saying that all the people who were advocating Low Carb for all these years, really knew what they were talking about!

Isn't this great news? I can't tell you how many times when I had tried LC previously in my life, my co-workers told me that I was going to make myself sick by not eating a low carb diet......that it wasn't good for my body, etc.....my immediate boss (charge nurse in the operating room), included! I just started on TSP four days ago, I vowed not to tell her......she's also very nosy, so I'm sure she will eventually find out. Since I have been out on medical leave from work for the past week, and do not know when I will be well enough to return to work, surely, she will notice a small difference in my size....I hope by the time that is, my loss will be significant enough for her to notice anyway! She has been on Weight Watchers intermittently over the past two years and thinks that is the ONLY way to go! I wonder if she is going to be watching 20/20 tonight?

Linda
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 19:34

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 315.5/189.8/170 Female 5 ft  8.5 in
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Be Sure to Watch 20/20 on TV tonight!

I just heard that they are going to have a segment on "The New Diet Revolution" on 20/20 tonight, and that experts have now decided that the medical community and the government have admitted that they have been wrong all these years and that the food pyramid is way outdated. They are now saying that all the people who were advocating Low Carb for all these years, really knew what they were talking about!

Isn't this great news? I can't tell you how many times when I had tried LC previously in my life, my co-workers told me that I was going to make myself sick by not eating a low carb diet......that it wasn't good for my body, etc.....my immediate boss (charge nurse in the operating room), included! I just started on TSP four days ago, I vowed not to tell her......she's also very nosy, so I'm sure she will eventually find out. Since I have been out on medical leave from work for the past week, and do not know when I will be well enough to return to work, surely, she will notice a small difference in my size....I hope by the time that is, my loss will be significant enough for her to notice anyway! She has been on Weight Watchers intermittently over the past two years and thinks that is the ONLY way to go! I wonder if she is going to be watching 20/20 tonight?

Linda
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 20:24
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Just saw the 20/20 show

I had to tell you about the 15 minute spot on "What if fat is a lie"or something like that...
20/20 met with the person who wrote the article (for which I forgot his name ) Basically it was explained briefly how the food pyramid was created by lawyers and such not doctors and how there was now 20 years of study showing that simple carbs such as sugar, flour, rice, and potatoes are bad for you for most people. And that fat in the form of liquid oils and in fatty fish are actually good for you.
Personally, I thought we all knew that even before we low carbed.
The diet researchers say though, that saturated fats as in meat and in dairy are still bad for you and that whole grains are good for you.
I think there are people who's heighted sensitivity to carbs make even corn, whole wheat, and such even too much to eat.
The spot did mention that people eating too many carbs were craving more food than those on low carb diets.
Barbara Walters criticized the Atkins program but the other anchor.. (dang what was his name! ... seemed very much for it. The person who wrote the article said he was staying on a low carb diet till more studies are done.
Ps I'm so sorry about the names, I have a poor hearing memory... Could someone help me fill in the missing details? Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 20:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Linda, it was a great piece. There is an ongoing discussion on the episode here and if you check out the Research/Media Watch forum (where I moved your post to) you'll see that there have been quite a few media pieces about LCing this week - we've been pretty popular

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 20:54
Forum Founder

Transcript of the peice:
--

Hunter, 46, did lose weight, but she always gained it back. In the past year alone she has regained 50 pounds. No wonder she's thrown in the towel and is now trying a diet that seems sinful. It's high in fat and low in carbohydrates.

But to do this, she's had to get over years of brainwashing that says fat is bad. "You have to de-program yourself to thinking in a different way, that maybe something else is going to work."

Hunter is part of a diet revolution that is sweeping the country. That's because for the past 30 years, while Americans have been religiously following low-fat diets, they've actually been getting fatter.

But "What If Fat Doesn't Make You Fat?" asks science writer Gary Taubes in a recent New York Times article in which he addresses what he considers the bad science that's lured millions to low-fat diets.

"What we believe to be true with such certainty could just be a sort of mass delusion, wishful thinking that the medical establishment inflicted on us, and it just snowballed," Taubes told 20/20 in an interview with ABCNEWS medical editor Dr. Timothy Johnson.

A Myth in the Making

"The theory was that a low-fat/high-carb diet would control weight and help prevent killer diseases. But most of the studies that followed actually failed to show a direct link between fat in the diet and heart disease and cancer. But by then it was too late ? even science couldn't shake the prevailing wisdom that all fats are bad, and all carbs are good," explained Johnson.

By investigating the genesis of this theory, Taubes found that the government's initial decision 30 years ago to promote low-fat diets was not based on recommendations from doctors or scientists, but rather from lawyers who worked for Sen. George McGovern in the mid-1970s.

"They come out with this document and it just sets this ball rolling where finally some government body is telling Americans to eat less fat and eat more carbohydrates," Taubes said.
[Food Pyramid] USDA Food Pyramid (ABCNEWS.com)

With the release of the government's "Food Pyramid" in the early 1990s, it was official: the low-fat/high-carb diet was America's food plan.

At the pyramid's base are the foods considered the staple of the healthy low-fat diet: refined carbohydrates such as bread, cereal, rice and pasta. At the narrow top ? indicating that they should be used sparingly, if at all: fats and oils.

Fat: Friend or Foe?

There were, however, some lonely voices of opposition.

Dr. Robert Atkins, for one, said the government had it all wrong.

The Atkins diet approach, which allows unlimited protein and fats including meats, cheeses, eggs and butter, eaten along with very limited quantities of all types of carbohydrates ? even fruits and vegetables ? is based on the body's ability to switch its metabolism from a carb-burning mode to a fat-burning mode once carbs are eliminated.

Most nutritional experts are wary of Atkins' extreme recommendations because of the dramatic, and possibly hazardous, changes his diet can have on the body. Among the many concerns are possible vitamin deficiencies, dehydration, gastrointestinal problems, and kidney, heart and gallbladder disease.

"We need to know much more before people start making claims. ? Shouldn't diet doctors prove safety first, rather than write books and then say 'OK, prove harm,'" comments Keith Ayoob, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association and associate professor of pediatrics at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York.

Striking a Dietary Balance

In the last decade, however, several leading nutritional scientists have begun to think Atkins may be partly right about carbohydrates, and scientists are now finally studying whether low-fat diets really work.

"I think it's quite clear that he's onto something important. It does seem that this substantial reduction in carbohydrate for many people does make it easier to control their diet over the long run," says Dr. Walter Willett, chairman of the department of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health.

Moreover, following the low-fat/high-carb diet of the U.S.D.A. Food Pyramid may not only make it difficult to control weight, it could actually be dangerous, according to Willett.

"The dietary pyramid was out of date the day it was printed, but it's even more out of date given the evidence that's accrued since that time," said Willett. "We have good evidence now that the high intake of refined starches and sugars will increase risk of diabetes and heart disease," he added.

Years of diet studies done by Willett and others have apparently found that healthy people tend to do two things: they actually increase "good fats" and "good carbohydrates" while cutting down on both "bad fats" and "bad carbohydrates."

Sorting it Out

"GOOD FATS: Liquid oils found in most plants, as well as the fats in nuts, seeds and many fish.
Foods to Look For: fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines; pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc; seeds, including sesame, sunflower, pumpkin; olives, avocados; plant oils including olive oil, peanut, canola, corn, soybean, and products made using these oils.

"BAD FATS": Saturated animal fats found in meat and dairy products, and the trans-fatty acids found in vegetable shortening, most margarines, and many processed foods (look for "partially hydrogenated" on the ingredient label).
Foods to Limit: marbled red meats; full-fat dairy products such as butter; hydrogenated vegetable oils such as margarine and other oils that are solid at room temperature; commercial deep fried foods, tropical oils such as coconut and palm oils.

"GOOD CARBS": Fruits, vegetables, bean and other legumes, and whole grains that are rich in fiber and nutrients and more slowly absorbed.
Foods to Look For: fruits and fibrous vegetables (the crunchy ones!) such as apples, melons, berries, greens, peppers, lettuce, carrots, cauliflower, beets, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, spinach; whole grain products such as whole wheat or oat bread, cereals, and pasta; brown and wild rice, oats; grains such barley, quinoa, millet.

"BAD CARBS": Sugary foods and starches like many pastas, white bread, and potatoes that are quickly absorbed in our digestive system and quickly raise our blood sugar levels.
Foods to Limit: sugared drinks such as soda, fruit juice; sugar, honey, molasses, syrups; refined white flour products like white bread, pretzels, pizza, bagels, white pasta, most cereals; starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn; white rice.

"And here is the big pay-off from a good fat/good carb diet. Not only is it more likely to be healthy. It may also make it easier to control our weight. That's because sugars and starches get quickly absorbed into our blood stream and lead to sudden spikes in insulin levels ? which leads to low blood sugars and increased hunger, which make us eat more," said Johnson.

That's why many experts now believe that a diet high in bad carbs actually increases the craving for food in people who are obese.

"These people are actually hungrier than the rest of us. And they're hungrier because of the way they metabolize carbohydrates," said Taubes.

In 'The Zone'

For Terri Hill, who weighed more than 200 pounds, success finally came with another low-carb diet ? The Zone ? based on a finely controlled balance of good carbs, good fats and lean protein.

"I felt that this worked better than any of the other diets I had tried. And I've been eating this balance [40 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent fats, and 30 percent proteins] now for four years. I lost 90 pounds of fat," Hill said. "Your blood sugar levels never go too high and never fall too low, but they fall in this nice moderate zone."

But are low-carb diets right for everyone? Experts agree, there's only one way to prove for certain that low-carb is better than low-fat, and that's with a long-term, randomized clinical trial.

Leading obesity researcher Dr. George Blackburn of Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Boston has funding from the Atkins Foundation for such a trial, which will compare a traditional low-fat diet with a modified Atkins diet that emphasizes good fats.

"We don't know whether he's right or not, but at least you know both the National Institutes of Health and the Atkins Foundation are interested in finding out," Blackburn said.

"In the meantime, there's plenty of compelling evidence to do the following," advised Johnson. "Get rid of the refined starches and sugars ? eat more vegetables and fruit, eat lean protein and healthy fats. You'll lose weight and feel better and may reduce your risk for heart disease."

For more information on health and nutrition, see:

Eat, Drink and Be Healthy, The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating, by Walter C. Willett, M.D., P. J. Skerrett, Edward L. Giovannucci, M.D. Simon and Schuster.

Dr. Timothy Johnson's On Call Guide to Men's Health, by Timothy Johnson, M.D. Hyperion.

#13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 21:59

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Atkins will be featured on 48 hours tonight as well...
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 22:08
Forum Founder

Yes, make sure you visit our research/media watch forum. We're discussing this week's shows from ABC, CBS and NBC

Wa'il
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 22:44

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

It really must have been difficult for Dr. Tim Johnson to come on and talk about this diet. He has been a long proponent of the low fat way of life.

I am just thrilled that finally the truth is coming out. It will take people years to accept it though.

What I really think is hilarious is that they say that research NOW is showing that the carbs are what is making people fat. Atkins said that for the past 30 years and all they did was shoot him down.

I think that even if they did know, they wouldn't have said it because it was a political thing. Isn't it sad how much disease they have caused because of their stupidity!