Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 146/133/130
BF:
Progress: 81%
Question calories?? 10-12 x your body weight....Yowsa am I messing up?

For some reason this hasn't hit me until today. But if I am to eat an average of 10-12 x my body weight...that means I'm only allowed 1,656 calories. Gees........I've been going way over that a day......but it sure doesn't seem like I'm eating that much. I'm really confused b/c on a lowfat diet, my limit was 1,300 a day...that's only a 300 difference. I've been stalled for over a month and wondering why.......is this why?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 13:45

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi,

That's just a ballpark figure. If you are exercising you will most likely need more. My calories are supposed to be about 1850 but somedays I eat 1600, some days I eat 2300. I exercise quite a bit so if I'm hungry I eat. If you're hungry eat, you're still losing so listen to your body.

Danyele
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 19:56

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I was wondering about that 10 - 12 x your weight thing. Is that from Atkins? I think 1600 - 1900 calories a day for me sure seems high. Weren't the old fashioned counting calories diets around 1200 a day?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 11:23

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hope I can shed some light here.

The 10-12X thing comes from Protein Power, I believe. Of course YMMV depending on your activity level....LBM (lean body mass) and the rate of your metabolism.

I think that the determining factor will be how you are losing. It's not unusual for us to stall if we aren't eating either enough calories or carbs.

I can also tell you that I maintained in the 140's for five years on Weight Watchers maintenance at 1000-1200 calories a day....and I was starving. Now.....I'm losing weight at 1800-2000 calories a day on LC. And I'm much happier with the food I'm allowed.

Just keep tweaking your plan until you get it to the perfect fit for you! And using Fitday.com will help you to keep track of exactly what you are taking in. That and keeping a journal where you post your menus daily. The advantage to that is that it allows some of the eagle eyes around here to take a look and make suggestions about how to tweak.

HTH
Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 11:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandylee
I was wondering about that 10 - 12 x your weight thing. Is that from Atkins?

It's from basic human biology - a little thing called Basal Metabolism. There is a lot written on this site and all over the internet about metabolism and how to raise it. If you want to lower it the best way is to eat too little, althought I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandylee
Weren't the old fashioned counting calories diets around 1200 a day?

Yep - or worse. Frankly, 1200 calories a day is how I got fat - a not uncommon story 'round these parts.

Head up to the Newbies Questions Forum and click on Hot Links! - there are a few threads dealing with BMR and Fat and Keeping calories up.

Keep in mind that this 10-12x guildeline is a MINIMUM - it's not the maximum you should eat a day. If you're active and you're hungry it's a sign swimmer - EAT!

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 19:45

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks, Marlaine and Nat, for the great explanations. I'll check the newbies sections for more info.

The first week or two I was doing Atkins I was hungry all the time, eating constantly, and not losing weight. Now that I am keeping track of my calories with FitDay, and doing Atkins properly,
1) My appetite is way down.
2) I am not hungry enough to eat all those calories anymore. Maybe close to 10 x my weight but not everyday.
3) I am finally losing weight! 5 pounds already
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 146/133/130
BF:
Progress: 81%
Smile

Thanks All!

The word "minimum" really cleared up the confusion. I have no problem reaching that!! Appreciate it!