Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 22:14

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 225/208/150
BF:
Progress: 23%
Talking excited about the boards

I just found this website. I'm very excited to know there are so many others going through this weight thing! I can tell a lot of you have success stories and I can't wait to read them all. I did the Atkins diet once before and dropped 40 lbs in 3 months! I was so excited! BUT, then i went back to regular eating and gained it all back PLUS much more! I will never go off again, but this time I am losing soooo slow and I am learning I have hypothyroidism. I'm have already learned tips from this site. I look forward to reading this daily! I was getting depressed because I had not lost any weight for 2 weeks, but I think this site will give me new motivation. I have lost 17 pounds since 4/20/03 but have 58 lbs to get to my real goal. Sounds impossible at this point! Any tips from you successful losers!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Angry Nothing Yet

It's been over two weeks now, and no changes to the weight, although I do feel warmer, and not so sluggish. I bought two BIG jars, so I'm commited to it until they're used up,anyway.

I'm just sulking because the article I read gave such glowing testimonials... (I know, I know!!)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 07:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/134.8/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: excited about the boards

Quote:
Originally posted by LETMEOUT
I just found this website. I'm very excited to know there are so many others going through this weight thing! I can tell a lot of you have success stories and I can't wait to read them all. I did the Atkins diet once before and dropped 40 lbs in 3 months! I was so excited! BUT, then i went back to regular eating and gained it all back PLUS much more! I will never go off again, but this time I am losing soooo slow and I am learning I have hypothyroidism. I'm have already learned tips from this site. I look forward to reading this daily! I was getting depressed because I had not lost any weight for 2 weeks, but I think this site will give me new motivation. I have lost 17 pounds since 4/20/03 but have 58 lbs to get to my real goal. Sounds impossible at this point! Any tips from you successful losers!

First, nothing is impossible! Just set realistic goals and enjoy the ride getting there! And that was funny, "successful losers", I like that. Used to think of myself as a loser before finding out about low-carbing, now I LIKE being a loser!!! All in how you look at it.

#4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 07:51

BF:

Anyone have any luck lately getting coconut oil online? I have an order pending with my usual sorce, but due to that article recently published, they are not shipping until August!! My friend has an order due in "soon", the best shipping date they would give. I only have about 2 days worth left. HELP!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 12:45
Fully Caffeinated

I got mine from organickingdom.com

I ordered by mail, and it took no longer than other places I've ordered from, in fact, they sent by Fed-Ex rather than UPS for the same rate.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 18:25
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Well I did finally find some coconut oil at the local health food place. But I have been really lax in getting it in everyday. I can't just eat it straight *shivers*. So far I've cooked with it once, and used it in hot tea... but this isn't hot tea weather. I don't do hot cereal, so any suggestions for ingesting it that I can stomach on a daily basis??

I thought about mixing it with some splenda if I don't come up with something else... maybe some splenda and cocoa? LOL, make a kind of chocolate paste... I think I will try that, but still I am open to suggestions.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 20:03
Fully Caffeinated

Default Ideas

Your "chocolate paste" idea isn't too far off.. I've done it I melt it, add the pre-melted kind of cocoa (that comes in little pouches), some Diabetisweet, then the "tricky part"... while whisking, I add cold heavy cream. The cold makes it set up in a hurry. I've even added some shredded unsweetened coconut. It's like fudge.

Okay!! I really WAS bored that day, and in need of chocolate.

I've used it when I make low-carb bread, in place of the cooking oil.

I tried the salad dressing idea like the article said, but wasn't too happy. When it hits the cold lettuce, it "sets up" and separates from the dressing. Greasy lettuce...

I'm in the experimental stages of using it in mousse... I whip heavy cream with sweetener, flavored extract, then drizzle the liquified oil in slowly when the cream is nearly whipped. I haven't gotten the amounts and/or timing right yet though.

I'm anxious to see what other people are doing with it!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 01:33

BF:

I do take it straight off a spoon, but prefer using it in various ways. Cooking my eggs (scrambled so it gets mixed in), "buttering" my low-carb bagel, on veggies. I have mixed it with unsweetened coconut and munched as a snack, mixed with cream cheese and spenda to make the cheese cake thing. Have to agree about the salad, not good.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 03:19
Registered Member

Stats: 200/180/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Here's another recipe I've tried using coconut oil.

Mexican Fish Fillet

Melt 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil in a pan. Brown 2 Tilopia fish fillets (you can use snapper or other fish too). Turn the fish when browned on one side and then spread each piece generously with store bought Salsa (whatever kind you like best). Cover the pan and continue to cook on low heat until fish is thoroughly done and salsa is heated through. When you take the fish out of the pan, pour whatever coconut oil is left over the fish. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime over each piece. Sometimes I crumble a little Mexican cheese over the top just before I serve it. This is optional and you can substitute crumbled feta cheese, if you want.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 12:03

BF:

The fish recipe sounds yummy, the coconut oil must give it a nice taste. Can't wait to try it!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 13:04

Plan: self-plan
Stats: 196/150/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 75%
Lightbulb

I've read this entire thread, and it seems the most asked question is "how do I ingest the oil." Well, this is how I eat mine and I think it's very good.

1-2 T of coconut oil (melted)
1-2T Walden sugar free Chocolate syrup
1 T lowest carb Peanut butter (optional, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't)

Mix in small glass container, by stirring very well until blended. Put in freezer for about 5- 8 min. This tastes just like a _________ candy bar!

Yggirl
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 04:53

Plan: Atkins, induction phase
Stats: 165/150/110
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question coconut oil

Hi, my name is Kathy and I am fairly new to this forum. I am very interested in any info you can send me on coconut oil and amino acid. Right now I am taking Levozyl and cytomel after having my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer. Since this happened 15 months ago the Dr. has changed my meds so many times and can not seem to get it right. Either I feel good during the day and have a lot of energy but can't sleep at night or they reduce my meds and I sleep good at night but have a difficult time during the day. All I want to do is sleep. So I am very interested in any thing that can help me feel better. I have been on the induction phase since Easter. (went off it for one week when my dad passed away 3 weeks ago). I have lost weight but it seems to come off very slow. I wonder if it is due to low metabolism. If you could send me the info I would greatly appreciate it.
Kathyl
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 20:41
Fully Caffeinated

There's some reading at coconut-info.com, I learned about it in an article in Woman's World magazine.

Admittedly, my results haven't been spectacular, but I've not been a "good girl" regarding diet lately, either...(my journal helped point out that I was "sneaking" quite a bit of extra's on myself)

I'm currently trying to gather more info NOT put out by those selling it!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 08:43

Plan: multiple
Stats: 200/182/145
BF:
Progress:

Last Spring I lost 56 lbs in 3 months. The year before I lost 34. I always seem to gain it back during the Winter, my nickname should be Yo-Yo! In February I was right back up to 200 lbs. and really mad at myself for putting it back on, Again. I decided that I'm going to "choose life" and get healthy and not just concentrate on loosing weight. I'm border Thyroid (my Mother had a goiter and major thyroid issues). Now, I'm having trouble getting it off again and thought this might have something to do with it. I am very interested in everyone's comments on how it helps Hypothyroid and raises the body temp. I also read in First magazine, according to Vanderbilt University here in TN, about Coconut oil and it stats that Coconut oil speeds calorie burning by 50% by going directly to the liver. It is so biologically stable that it doesn't form Trans fats so it is great for baking and frying. So I tried cooking with it last night. I took 2 to 3 tbs of it and heated in a frying pan on med-high heat. Put a boneless-skinless chicken breast half in;cut out in bite size pieces. After about 5 to 10 mins. of cooking (white all the way through) I put about 2 cups of chopped cabbage and half med. chopped onion and stir fryed. The smell was a little unbareable. I seasoned it with some Cajun spices and it was so freaking good! Almost like cheating with Chinese food without all the MSG! I found out that it cooks faster and hotter with Coconut oil than veg or corn oil does and is very good for stir frying and tastes great. Well, I didn't loose any weight this morning (so it's not some magical cure for fat) but I didn't gain any either like I thought after eating all that oil last night and I know I will have to continue to eat healthy like this for it to work-plus exersize and drink water. I also read that a glass of tomatoe juice daily boosts energy and speeds slimming because it is loaded with essential enzymes. And can you believe it, Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital research says that the fatty acid in avocados, olives, nuts and sees (flax, pumpkin, & sunflower) boost metabolism and speed weight loss and those who ate the high fatty goodies were an average of 11 lbs lighter than those who shuned fat all together? What about that? ok-so how is everyone doing with the Coconut oil? Any good food ideas? Any ideas on how to keep it off? I started the end of May on low carbs and have lost 18 lbs-I don't want to put it back on ever. I still have almost 40 to go.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 07:21

BF:

The chicken and cabbage sounds good, can't wait to try. I have been out of coconut oil for a week and miss it! Fed Ex is due here in a few days with a new supply!

I was wondering about the tomato juice though. 1 cup a day would be 10 grams of carbs. I know there are lots of nutrients in tomato products, but 10 grams a day for a glass of juice? I think that would slow me down big time.