Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 13:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 171/160/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question calories, carbs, OWL, etc

yup! i've got questions!
here goes:

1.) if we're supposed to be eating 10-12x our weight in calories, why does fitday.com say that i should be eating 2400 calories? (i weight 125, so that's like 20x my weight)

2.)when you move into OWL and Pre-Maintenance, do you have to consume less protein and fat as you add carbs?

3.) i've been in induction for one week and have lost four lbs. is it just "water weight"?

4.) i don't want to lose too much more--should i just move to OWL? or do the second week of induction?

5.) my ketostix aren't registering anything, could it be because i'm eating too much protein? 160 to 180 grams per day is about what i'm averaging.

6.) and i am also ravenous!! i am eating like a football player and i could easily eat more! today i've already had eggs w/cheese and jimmy dean sausages, .5 cup of yogurt, .5 small roasted chicken, small salad with ranch dressing, and a 5.5 ounce hamburger with cheese and sour cream. i'm at 1400 cal and i'm going out to dinner tonight to eat more! i've been eating about 2000 cal per day in induction. that's 600 more than i'm used to eating, so why aren't i more satisfied?

please help!!!!

thanks!
lauren
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 17:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lauren, let's see now...

1.) Ignore fitday (except to count your carbs, calories etc), they seem to have a low fat type mindset. I just use 'em as a tool.

2.) No, I think you pretty much simply add more carbs.

3.) The 4 lbs is probably some water weight, some fat. Possibly more water than fat.

4.) I wouldn't worry about the second week of Induction - in fact I think you are being sensible and intelligent to consider moving on to OWL, if not premaintenance.

5.) Forget the ketostix! Truly! They are more trouble than they are worth. It truly doesn't matter whether or not you are in ketosis - what matters is whether or not you are losing weight. And you are!
In fact Atkins is the only plan that even mentions ketosis. There are many other plans that also work well but don't mention the stoopid stix! (Can you tell Im a bit biased against the d**n stix? )

6.) If you are hungry, eat! How much fat are you eating? Fat has a very high satiety value, so I wonder if you need a little more.
70 to 75% is about right.

Cheers, Lauren - HTH.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 03:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 171/160/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

thanks rosebud

i appreciate the reassurance. i probably just need to chill out huh?
it's definitely going really well--no need to freak out about minor details.
thanks!
lauren