Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 13:19

Plan: basic LC
Stats: 200/150.5/130 Female 65"
BF:46.3//???
Progress: 71%
Smile new and overwhelmed

Hello! What do you guys think about the Schwarzbein Principle compared to Atkins and Protein Power? I've tried atkins diet and it made me absolutely queasy after the third day. I've tried protein power and it worked for a while but I didn't stick with it. I just read about the SP in a magazine and it sounds appealling so once again I'm gonna try. My biggest problem is the time consumption and meal planning. I work around food all day every day and it gets really boring sometimes and so I start munching. By the end of the day I've eaten all kinds of horrible things. (cakes, chips, crackers, onion rolls, etc...) I'm a bit overwhelmed just thinking about the aspect of another diet but I'm so sick of being fat and not having any clothes to wear and feeling so bad about myself and being so tired all the time. I used to be a social queen (70 lbs ago) and now I'm embarassed to go out and see my old friends! I'm hoping I can stick with this diet and make it easy and simple.
Oh Well, wish me luck!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 14:08

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Re: new and overwhelmed

now I'm embarassed to go out and see my old friends

Hi niksauntie and welcome. The above statement is what finally made me get my butt in gear and loose the weight. I am on atkins plan and I love it. To me it is the easiest to follow and not srtuctured. I got to the point where I can pretty much estimate what I can and can not eat. As far as being sick on atkins, that goes away after a few days. Some people feel more sick then others, I was the lucky one, not sick at all unless you count withdrawls, and mine were not physical, just wanted bread. I am now reading the Schwarzbein Principle (I read any LC book I can get my hands on), and it is interesting. I want to wish you the best of luck and please stay in the forum for support.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 14:42

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Welcome

Hi Niksauntie and welcome to this forum. It is a great place to come for support and advice about any of the low carb plans.

You said that you got sick on Atkins after 3 days. That was probably withdrawal symptoms from having no carbs. The book does not really indicate much about this, but my first week on Atkins was a bit up and down, and a year later I am loving it and finding it easy to remain low carb.

I have read both Protein Power and Schwarzbein. I found the later a really good read and it explained some of the things that were not fully explained in Atkins. I know think of adding some of the bits of Schwarzbein into my own low carb plan. It is certainly worth a go.

You say you are around food everyday and therefore eating the right foods is just will power. Karen who has her own section of recipes is also a chef and she has been low carbing for some time now. There are a couple of other cooks on this forum and it is a question of if you need to taste something then just taste a little. If you have protein foods with you that you can nibble when you get tempted then that will go part way to helping you break the pattern of seeing sweet food items and picking them up to nibble.

Every success. Only you can do it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 14:44

Thanks! Congrats on your progress so far! How long has it taken you? Hopefully that will be me in a few months too!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 20:51

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Almost a year for me so far. Actually 10 months. I have had my moments....LOL, cheats and all, but the trick is to always, always pick yourself up and back on the wagon ASAP. You will stall and slow down, I know I have. I lost most of the weight so far in the first 3 or 4 months, and then it has taken me 6 months to loose 11 or 12 pounds. Just hang in there, it will happen. Remember, we did not put it on over night, it won't come off over night either, but it will come off. Good luck again
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 23:26

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

Hello, Niksauntie,

Keep it up! It really is worth it. While I cannot honestly say that I felt "sick" in the beginning I did have a very low-grade headache. It was not so bad that it interfered with life; it just felt like a nuisance. But it did go away relatively quickly. I thought of it as being sort of equivalent to the pain people must go through when they "detox" from smoking, or alcohol, or drugs.

Most things worth while do not come easily; but I have had some success and am working at it one day at a time.

I think that it must be very hard to be around food all the time. But I also have my moments: I take care of my mother and she is on a diet that is radically different from mine. In the beginning it was really hard for me to see all of her crackers, cookies, chips, and ice cream but after a while i lost my temptation to indulge. I know that I will have to battle temptation, but I found that a certain mind set came upon me and I just kept reading her labels and seeing how many carbs there are in just a couple of crackers!

Good luck to you; sorry I have rambled on so much.

Natalie
Attached Images
File Type: gif perrier.gif (11.3 KB, 25 views)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 14:48

I don't think your rambling at all. And I don't mind anyway. It's really hard for me to talk about this to my (wonderful) boyfriend. (who is a tall thin jock who can eat chocolate all day.) He trys to be helpful and understanding but I'm to embarassed and frustrated to discuss it much with him. today i talked to my best friend from high school on the phone, she is 9 months preg. and weighs 182 and she's freaking out, I weigh more than she does and IM NOT PREGNANT. We've made a lunch date but I'm afraid for her to see how big i am.
Speaking of rambling.
I do have one question though. Today so far I've had a taco salad, minus the taco shell and alot of water. (I fixed a glass of ice and picked up the 2liter of coke before i realized i couldn't have it & i put it down) any way, I have the shakes, is that normal?
I really missed that taco shell.
Thanks for all the encouragement you guys, it really helps!!!