Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 16:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs down Doctors Weigh in on 'Diet War' Cover Stories in NYT, Time Magazine; Nutrition Experts

Doctors Weigh in on 'Diet War' Cover Stories in NYT, Time Magazine; Nutrition Experts Warn Against 'Carbophobia'
Mon Jul 8, 2:22 PM ET

To: National Desk, Health Reporter

Contact: Simon Chaitowitz of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, 202-686-2210, ext. 309; e-mail: simonc~ pcrm.org; Web: http://www.pcrm.org

WASHINGTON, July 8 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Doctors and dietitians with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) are available for interviews on two major nutrition stories -- a cover article in yesterday's New York Times Magazine about the Atkins Diet and a cover story in this week's Time Magazine on vegetarian diets.

The NYT story "What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?" explores the claim that Dr. Atkins and other high-fat proponents make -- that carbohydrates, not fat, have caused America's obesity epidemic.

PCRM president and nutrition researcher Neal Barnard, M.D., rebuts the Atkins claims and points to a vast body of scientific literature showing that the thinnest and healthiest people on the planet -- Asians consuming rice-based diets and vegetarians eating a variety of grains, legumes, vegetables, and fruits -- eat plenty of carbohydrates.

"Like the fabled blind men groping to understand an elephant, the Atkins camp has turned a piece of dietary truth into a whopping misconception," says Barnard. "The 'carbophobes' point out that diets rich in sugars (or in starches that release sugars quickly) are likely to spark the release of insulin, which, in turn, slows down fat-burning. But most foods rich in complex carbohydrates -- such as beans, vegetables, most fruits, and even some grain products -- cause no insulin overreaction, are extremely healthful, and boost overall metabolism. Generally speaking, the carbs that present problems for some dieters are refined grains and potatoes, which tend to release sugars more rapidly than other foods."

In fact, a recent PCRM weight-loss study on low-fat vegan diets showed that the more carbohydrates the research participants ate, the more weight they lost.

"The Atkins Diet appears to be as harmful as we've always thought it was," says Barnard. "Yes, it throws the body into a state of ketosis, a metabolic derangement that temporarily burns fat. But it misses the fiber and antioxidants that protect against cancer and other serious diseases."

Regarding this week's Time Magazine cover story, "Should We All Be Vegetarians?": PCRM applauds Time for giving vegetarian diets front-and-center attention but has a few beefs with the article.

"We're delighted that Time has recognized the many health benefits of vegetarian diets," says Barnard. "Unfortunately, the article repeats many of the myths about plant-based diets that were long ago proven false. Vegetarians actually have better overall nutrient intake than meat-eaters do, for example. Vegetarians have less heart disease, lower cancer rates, and are slimmer than meat-eaters," says Barnard.

To arrange an interview with a PCRM doctor or dietitian, please call PCRM communications director Simon Chaitowitz at 202-686-2210, ext. 309.

Founded in 1985, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is a nonprofit organization that promotes preventive medicine, particularly good nutrition, and conducts clinical research trials. PCRM also promotes higher standards in research.

http://www.usnewswire.com/

-0-

/© 2002 U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770/

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../180/1teqm.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 17:46

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Carbophobes?

They've resorted to calling us names!

;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 23:00
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Always beware of nonprofit organizations looking out for you. PCRM's website is hosted by vegsource.com. If you go there you'll find articles by our hero's Dr Ornish and Dr McDougall.

But wait it even gets better! Here is there leadership as posted on their site, note that Ornish and McDougall are on the board! as are many other doctors with PROFIT making motives! What a joke!

Leadership

PCRM president Neal D. Barnard, M.D., is a popular speaker and the author of Turn Off the Fat Genes; Foods That Fight Pain; Eat Right, Live Longer; Food for Life; and other books on preventive medicine. PCRM's advisory board includes 12 health care professionals from a broad range of specialties.

T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.
Cornell University

Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.
The Cleveland Clinic

Suzanne Havala, Ph.D., M.S., R.D., L.D.N., F.A.D.A.
The Vegetarian Resource Group

Henry J. Heimlich, M.D., Sc.D.
The Heimlich Institute

Lawrence Kushi, Ph.D.
University of Minnesota

Virginia Messina, M.P.H., R.D.
Nutrition Matters, Inc.

John McDougall, M.D.
McDougall Program, St. Helena Hospital

Milton Mills, M.D.
Gilead Medical Group

Dean Ornish, M.D.
Preventive Medicine Research Institute

Myriam Parham, R.D., L.D., C.D.E.
East Pasco Medical Center

William Roberts, M.D.
Baylor Cardiovascular Institute

Andrew Weil, M.D.
University of Arizona

www.pcrm.org
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 23:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Nice catch, MrFrumble

I just get annoyed by "experts" mouthing off about the tons of research supporting them, yet can't site a single scientific reference.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 11:54

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

my dictionary must have the word "responsible' defined wrong. That's the only possible explanation!

Hmm, Asian people aren't thinner because...they don't have the fat genes? Because they consume fewer calories in childhood and adolescence? Because they breast feed their infants longer? Because they walk more? Because their annual sugar comsumption is 140 pounds per year less than ours? (And, btw, they have more strokes because....?)

Cripes, I don't give a passing grade to this kind of simple-minded single causal explanation from my freshman students!

And Mr. Frumble, good point! It might be interesting to compare that list to the list of docs on the board of, say, Weight Watcher's International. There might be other conflicts of interest. I'd love to see their stock portfolios.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/155/145
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default I've given up....

on trying to convince people of the benefits of the LC lifestyle. I tell my friends, colleagues, etc. who are doubters that I'm happy to discuss the physiology of why LCing works, but only if they are willing to be open minded, and to support my efforts regardless. I've tried for too long to argue with people about it - I know it works - I'm proof (as are my parents who have been LCing for 3 years now and have maintained their 50 lb (each!) weight loss!).

I am happy to have the NYTimes article now - I'm going to print it out and keep copies in my office - when someone freaks out when I tell them I low-carb, I'm going to hand them the article and tell them to come talk to me - AFTER they've read it!!