Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 20:53

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%
Workout today...Did 1/2 hour on recumbant cycle,and added a bit of tension.

Then I worked 15minutes on the universal gym (weights) and added for half of the exercises another weight which I think are 10 pounders. I think.

Not bad, I felt the "burn" in my arms and legs tonight. Still not sure if I am doing things right....or for the right length of time. but I figure its absolutely better than doing nothing.

Don't want to be a couch potato anymore!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 05:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Alice,
Why don't you start a gym log in the gym logs forum, or in your own journal. That way you can keep all you exercising notes together in one place.

If you are looking for exercises, these 2 links might help. They have video clips for weight training

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

http://www.2-fit.com/video/index.html
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 17:37

AngelaR Thank you very much for those web sites, they should be extremely helpful to me. I like the fact they actually show you how to do the certain exercises.

Good idea too, about starting a gym log. I just thought since I am only starting to exercise that this was the right forum for me for now.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 13:55

Plan: trying low carb, hi fat /
Stats: 220/180/165 Female 5'11" / 71 inches / 178cm
BF:not tracking
Progress: 73%
Question Alice, where IS wonderland?

Hey, fellow BC'r,
Are you a mainlander or an islander? It doesnt say. I live in Victoria & grew up in Smithers.

I too am the laziest person I know, yet the few times I HAVE to motivation to go to the gym, I always have a really good time, no matter how little I bring myself to do, and I get better & better results! For me this journey has been a short month long, and I'll take it with you & the other newbies in stride,with a LOT of questions, and a lot of learning along the way. WHO KNEW we could enjoy mayonnaise & whipped cream & lose weight?? I had lobster & butter & still lose 2lbs/wk like clockwork. I am, however, on Metformin for IR & PCOS, and work out 2x week, not including sex!

So, keep TYRYING, and keep writing & chatting!

My current questions are about keeping gym logs & journals, so I will go try to find a thread on that now!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 08:14

Hi Kara, Wonderland is in the Kootenays!!! I used to live in the lower mainland, but it got too crowded and polluted for me. I have asthma. So into the wonder mountain area we went. Just love it here.

Its great that you are enjoying this WOE. I agree its wonderful being able to eat "Forbidden" foods again, and lose weight.

Keep up the great work!!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 14:13

Thumbs down I cheated...had pub FRIES!!! I feel so EASY!

I was having a vodka martini last night & got the munchies. Peter shared them with me. This is so bad b/c: I already had my 2 special meals, unless I can include that in next weeks?; & I put KETCHUP on some & VINEGAR on the other (2 other no-no's for me); & because it was late at night (after a comedy show, we went to a pub with the cast) and close to bedtime! Anyhoo, self-inflicted guilt-for-show ASIDE (LOL), I feel fine today despite! Happiness vs. Pleasure, right?
Ok, so the Kootenays, eh? Well, the hubby & I are heading up to Big White for Xmas w/ the in-lawz!
You close enuf to Kelowna for coffee? There's another PCOSyster in Kelowna that I email, there's probably 1 or 2 more! We should meet for coffee! (Oh, wait, maybe you all have met already & do that?) I know there is a Victoria group that meets every now & then. I missed there last get together, touring all the local stores for lo-carb
merchandise. I'll go to the picnic that is their next event tho. They sound like a fun group.
Well, there ya go. BTW, what does WOE stand for?
I'm pretty green with the chat acronyms. Thnx.
Kara
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 16:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Kara

WOE=way of eating...

WOL=way of life.

What is PCOS?
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 23:39

Lightbulb PSOS=Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome...PCOSyster or Soul Cyster

I forgot to ask you if you were PSCOS diagnosed too, or just on the low-carb for other health reasons.

Anyhoo, I was diagnosed one month ago, and I have noticed there are quite a few of us around.

It's a pain to have it. Arrgh, it's so frustrating.

Anyhoo, look it up online, and check it out.
Kara
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 08:31

Kara, Thank you very very much for the invite for coffee in Kelowna. But it is at least a 4 to 5 hour drive for me to get there, so not an easy drop by!!!

I do not have PCOS, but I have high cholesterol, intolorances to wheat, and an addiction to sugar. Also a very screwed up metabolism from many years of yoyo dieting. Plus the before mentioned Asthma.

I sympathize with your diagnosis. You should be proud of the fact that you are working so hard at improving your health, with your foods. Isn't there a saying" YOu are what you eat" I figure if we eat healthy then we are healthy
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 19:57

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 233/207/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 79%

I used to believe the only exercise that was worthwhile was extreme cardiovascular and long-distance work. I was a bicycle racer in my younger years, switched to cross-country ski racing and running after moving to northern Minnesota. Unfortunately, I had a heart attack at 43 (10 years ago) and was really discouraged about the whole exercising thing. Then I got my dogs...1, then 2,3, 4 and finally a 5th (a beautiful little boy that was abandoned in the woods last fall.) Anyway, I have been walking at least every other day for an hour for the past several years. Not only is my heart in good shape, but I can hop on my bike for a quick 20 miler without any after effects of the weekend warrior.

I have come to believe in walking as exercise. I walk year-round...at 20 below zero, in snowstorms, rain, heat. It really doesn't matter. My motivation? Five dogs! They have become accustomed to their regular walk and won't let me get away with skipping it. There is nothing quite as enjoyable to me as watching my dogs running and playing on the snowmobile trails and logging roads I use for my walks. I highly recommend getting a dog if you are short on motivation.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 21:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

That is so true Swede.

I know my dog loves going for her hikes too. She is a mini Dacshund...and has a tendency to overeat...so the exercise has been good for both of us...we are both losing fat...and gaining muscle...she is in great shape now. And she gets sooooo excited when it is time to leave. She does help with my motivation, she doesn't care if it is hot...rainy...cold...blowing...whatever...she still wants to go and smell and run...and play. I love my dog.