Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/224/130
BF:38%/36%/20%
Progress: 14%
Unhappy I hate myself (long)

I have fallen off the low carb wagon for once again. I have gained back all the weight I had lost. It might not have been much, but I was starting to feel better. Why can't I stick with this! I am not a person prone to depression, but I can feel it sneaking up on me. I have been trying to get my water consumption up to what it's suppose to be, but I cant seen to get past 120 ozs. I should be happy with that, since it's a lot more than I use to drink (like 120 ozs. more) but I should be able to do better. I need to get back on track, but I can't seem to stop cheating.
My mother is a Type II Diabetic, and I know if I dont do something soon, I will become one too. I don't want that! I hate being fat and feeling fat!~ I can't stand looking in the mirror and seeing a double chin forming. I don't even want to have sex with my husband anymore, because I hate having him touch my fat stomach. I haven't been able to wear my wedding ring for so long, because my fingers have gotten so fat. I had gotten down to wear I could almost get it on again, and then I fell off the wagon. I wish I could break this cycle I am on, and get back to a health wieght!

Dee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 09:25

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Take it from me...

When you are ready to do it, you will. I've lost and regained the same 30 lbs twice now...and this time I got to goal only to gain 10. I'm back on program now, but this happens! The question is, how are you going to stop letting your feelings of shame victimize you and do what you need to do to get back on track? No one can answer this but you. The power is there...you just have to reach out and take it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 12:39

Plan: Atkins/person plan
Stats: 298/275/240 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Join Us

Dee,

Looks like you are going through alot of what some of us are going through as well...stop being so hard on yourself...it's not always easy to just stop one way of life style and change it. I have had a problem the last little while trying to stay on track..and it's important not only for me to lose weight, but I am a Type II diabetic as well. Yet, I still find myself struggling. Myself and some other members decided to get our act together as of July 1/02 and help eachother through this. Please feel free to join us the thread is under "Countdown Club" and the Thread name is "July 1/02 Are you in"

Please stop by...hopefully together we all can be successful. I look forwarding to hearing from you.

Happy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 12:52

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Dee, don't hate yourself. What you're talking about is being human! If you were perfect, the rest of us wouldn't dare talk to you! Seriously, I do this to myself too - beat myself up about making mistakes.
The two best bits of advice I've been given are:
The people who don't make mistakes, don't usually make anything much - i.e. people who try risk failure, but its better to try than not to.
The next bit was to do some work, affirmations etc. to boost my self-esteem, since I was far more likely to stick to something that was good for me if I felt I was worth it and good news now, not only when I got thin. And they were right!
It would be nice if it were a straight, easy journey, but I think its rarely like that.
Keep the faith and know that you're worth it.
Best wishes, Jay
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 10:27

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

DEE

You sound so much like me. I have been struggling with this weight issue forever. It isn't easy...but it does get easier with time.

You need to recognize...this is not about willpower...and just making up your mind to stick to a WOL...THIS IS AN ADDICTION.

Just as many alcoholic or drug addicts say they will stop...but then find that they try many times before success. It is the same with us. You have a disease!

I am a compulsive overeater. I eat to stuff emotions that I don't want to feel. I have done it for many years, and my disease has progressed to the point where I didn't think I would ever be able to really get a handle on things.

I now am in therapy ( not saying you need it, but I do), I have read books from the library on compulsive overeating...OVERCOMING OVEREATING...is a good one to start with. I also have started to attend OA.

You need to stop beating yourself up over this...start looking at what you do like about yourself and build from there. I used to say...but I don't like anything about myself...but I do. I like my hair...(although you could never tell with this gawd awful pic of me). I have good skin...I don't look bad for my age...I have a pretty warped sense of humour...and I think I am a kind person...All these little things make me feel better about myself.

I hope that you can find it within yourself to find your way out of the negative thinking...because YOU ARE WORTH IT!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 20:28

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

[COLOR=purple]
Dear Dee,

I am very sorry that you hate yourself right now. I think that it is an honest part of being human for sincere people to sometimes be filled with a certain sense of self-loathing. It's especially easy for us, who are overweight, in a society which idolizes slimness and when we see parents struggling with problems that could well be genetic.

I hope that you will do something: do it for me, if you will be so generous. Write down five things about yourself that you like.

Even if you have to struggle to think of them: when I am in the midst of a depression, I try to remember that I DO have good qualities. Sticking to a diet plan is important, but that does not make a person a SAINT!

Lilwannabe started this by listing the things that she likes about herself! I think that's an admirable beginning for you. Assess your strengths.

I know that coming from a place of depression makes it very tough to see the good within.

Take good care of yourself; don't be rough on yourself for having lost some of the battles in the long war against depression and overweight.

I care,

Natalie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 18:45
Registered Member

Stats: 251/236/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default You are not alone

Dee,

I have gained back all the weight I lost earlier this year and I, too, am feeling pretty down. I stopped going to the gym and ate massive amount of junk food. I mean industrial quantity of it!!!
As for water, drank none whatsoever. I was on diet coke all day. I was a mess. Well, today I got back on the Atkin WOL and so far (it's 20:46) and I am doing good. I am taking one hour at a time. I see the double chin as well and I hate it. It's small but it's there...not for long. Soon, it will be gone.

Hang in there and let me know how you are making out.

Wish me luck!